It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My ID is ruined :(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Upgraded the php and sql to the latest stable versions on my server that hosts Ignorance Denied.

Found out afterwards that my forum software needed to be updated to operate on the version of php that I ended up at.

After that discovered that some of my most important addons became unstable and no longer functioned properly if at all.

So ID is recovering from a ruined state.

I have shut down ID and am starting from scratch, short of saving the database.

Any suggestions from anyone now that I am planning a restart from a clean slate?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
And forgot to add, I have changed the forum platform from vb to xf.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

I'd offer any advice I could if I knew anything that could help. Unfortunately I know nothing and can only offer commiserations that your site got crunched.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

For the most part the site was in dire need of refreshments anyway and had become rather dated imo.

I am looking forward to the restart on the xf platform as it will provide ample modern features and functionality. Although vb is a wonderful platform, and I know it well since I migrated off of xmb, xf is really impressing me greatly.

I am hoping that feedback here in what ID should take on as look-n-feel as well as content could be appreciated and implemented.

There are lots of smarticle peeps here who's opinions are straight arrow to the point without worry of hurting my feelgoods.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

I'll bump it in the Recents later today. You're right is saying some of the members are skilled in these things. They like to help too.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Always make sure you have backups before implementing any changes on a production server. That includes the server and the database.

Make sure you have a development server which runs the same settings as the production server, then you could try any changes in there and see if it works there first.

I would use the latest backup of the server just to make everything runs again as it was, and then do the whole process on the development server, and figure what you need to do to make a clean update...

Just my 0.02$.. Good luck!

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Shuye

Very sound advice. Thank you.

My forum does the database backups nightly. But I run on a VPS and dont have the resources to use a redundant server.

It all started when I installed an instance of xf for another project. But my php hadnt been updated in awhile, and xf has minimum requirements.

And the dominoes fell from there.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Please check with your hosting provider, your VPS may have nightly backups. My hosting company backs up nightly my openvz server.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mockingmay

They do offer that.

I have ontop of that a cron that does a database dump into a zip file, and a file dump into another zip file. And both reside somewhere below public_html.

I prefer to have full controls myself.

Backups arent the issue in this thread. Outdated software is. I have saved all my database and fully imported into a new xf instance. And I really want peoples opinions on what would be appealing. I appeal to you guys here as ID was borne from ATS.
edit on 19-2-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
Upgraded the php and sql to the latest stable versions on my server that hosts Ignorance Denied.

Found out afterwards that my forum software needed to be updated to operate on the version of php that I ended up at.

After that discovered that some of my most important addons became unstable and no longer functioned properly if at all.

So ID is recovering from a ruined state.

I have shut down ID and am starting from scratch, short of saving the database.

Any suggestions from anyone now that I am planning a restart from a clean slate?

Suggestion for the future...

NEVER perform such upgrades in a live environment ... I'm a long time linux systems administrator / php developer with 18 years experience under my belt....

I always test things in a virtual environment using vmware and an image of my server setup .. in fact, if you run your own server the best thing you could do is virtualize it.. you can snapshot and roll back if you need to ... it would buy you time if nothing else.
edit on 2/19/2016 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I felt old this morning as my bones protested my arising from my bed. Now, after reading this, I AM older than I thought...I cannot comprehend any part of your plight.
Sympathies though, and sincere hope your issues are promptly resolved.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Thank you, both of you.

Yes, because of my half hazard systems upgrade, I coulda shoulda known my forum software limitations that powered ID. It is common published knowledge I didnt reference beforehand. Plus I let my server get wayy behind in keeping up to date. That I take full responsibility for. I hope my members forgive me for this.

ID has been broken for almost a month, and the migration to a new platform almost two weeks offline.

It is that difficult getting everything in place. I have a new admin on board, and we are taking this transition full force. It hasnt been easy though.

I am hopeful this week I can unveil the new platform, short of a new look and feel. It is important to me that I get back online as soon as possible, and no sooner than ready.

But aside from a new style, I consider new formats to compliment what has been built over the last almost dozen years.
edit on 19-2-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I hope to get all the usergroup and forum permission masks done this weekend, as well as the minimum required addons completed.

After I reopen on the new platform is when I hope to use some feedback here on a forward sighted direction and style.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Close to the goal of reopening. ...

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Doing a preliminary reopening, just to shake any bugs out.

If all goes well I leave it open from here on out.

I know a few ats members here have accounts there at ID, if you would, give it a try.

And keep in mind, all my work has been with functionality and recovery only so far. The look is entirely OEM.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Just a minor bump.

We are mostly rebuilt, still have alot of things to do still of course.

The new software is awsome, we now have 8 color schemes for those logged in.

I could really use alot more feedback from anyone that cares to share. It would be very appreciated.

Thanks
edit on 5-8-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join