It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine gun control proposal meets threshold for ballot

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Thank you for that- I've been in Maine my whole life and have only recently begun to learn that the rest of the country is... well, different.

The wage to cost of living thing is certainly true- in any other state I'd be a rich man right now. Holding my own quite nicely here in the biggest city in the state- but I hate it here. It would have been nicer some thirty years ago- but again you're right, huge influx of refugees. The public schools are a mess in every city here- the native kids are a minority now.

As for the confused wording in voting- I just assumed that was standard practice. A run-on sentence in the form of a question is standard practice.
I rarely make it to the polls, but whenever I do I feel like I need to study the material before hand so I can research and clarify what the heck they're actually asking.

Can't imagine how someone with less education manages, let alone someone who doesn't speak the native language...

Sorry to hear you had to leave. I, too am looking into leaving- and it makes me very sad... but I'm not sure how much more of this working hard to tread water while having the establishment throw boots at me I can take

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
So more AUTHORITARIANISM, buy the anti gunners.

That's nice.

So they really don't think anything of the second,fourth, and fourteenth amendments.

Let freedom ring in Maine!

ER not.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Next up States need to ban free speech and the right to assemble, because the Feds haven't yet.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Sounds like a real smart law.

Two hunters cross a fence the first one crossing hand his gun to his hunting partner then climbs through or over the fence.
then his partner hands both guns over the fence and climbs through.

The next thing is the cop that saw them cross the fence arrests both for illegal transfers of two firearms.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I don't believe it's considered a transfer if the owner is present, but yeah- you're getting the gist of it.

Got a room mate, and a firearm? Every time you leave the house without your firearm, you're a felon. Even if it's in a locked safe.

I think this might be the official wording- but I might as well be trying to read latin outside of the "summary", which I don't trust since it was "summarized" by the same people pushing to pass the new law.

www.maine.gov...

We already have too many laws.

edit:
Also, I'd like to point out once again...
If someone is buying a firearm to commit a violent crime, they're NOT going to buy it on the level- and they're NOT going to get a background check. If you're willing to shoot people, you're willing to break a law. This is simply more laws to restrict the freedoms of those who follow the law- or at least try to.
As the laws get more restrictive, I'm less inclined to follow them.
edit on 20-2-2016 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Your interpretation os a bit dramatic at best and incorrect at worst. If you rread the entire document at your own link, it states, with regard to a transfer:

(The bolded items are my attempt to highlight the relevant sections and statements)

F. The transfer is temporary, the transferor has no reason to believe that the transferee intends to use the firearm in the commission of a crime and the transfer and the transferee's possession of the firearm take place exclusively:
(1) At an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or, if no such authorization is required, operated consistently with local law in such jurisdiction;
(2) At a lawfully organized competition involving the use of a firearm or for participation in or practice for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance;
(3) While the transferee is hunting or trapping if such activity is legal in all places where the transferee possesses the firearm and the transferee holds any license or permit required for such activity; or
(4) .In the actual presence of the transferor.. Any transfer allowed by this paragraph is permitted only if the transferor has no reason to believe that the transferee is disqualified to possess firearms under state or federal law or, if the transferee is under 18 years of age and is receiving the firearm under direct supervision and control of an adult, that such adult is disqualified to possess firearms under state or federal law; or

G. The transfer occurs by operation of law upon the death of a person for whom the transferee is an executor, administrator, trustee or personal representative of an estate or a trust created in a will.

Your examples are not relevant as they are considered exceptions in that document.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join