It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China 'has deployed missiles in South China Sea' - Taiwan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
China 'has deployed missiles in South China Sea' - Taiwan

Satellite images taken on 14 February appear to show two batteries of eight missile launchers and a radar system on Woody or Yongxing Island in the Paracels.

The presence of missiles would significantly increase tensions in the acrimonious South China Sea dispute.

China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said reports were a Western media invention.

But Mr Wang defended "the limited and necessary self-defence facilities" on islands inhabited by Chinese personnel as "consistent with the right for self-preservation and self-protection.... under the international law".

Asked about the reports, US Secretary of State John Kerry attacked China's increased "militarisation" of the contested region, saying it was a "serious concern".

I just saw this posted and thought it should be posted here, I'd like to hear what our members who are familiar with the situation to chime in and give us their thoughts on this escalating situation. This would seem that the talk of China someday flexing it's growing military muscle is no longer "A some day" scenario but is here and now...

All Countries involved have legitimate economic/political/national claims and concerns in my opinion. Let's see how things will play out over the next few coming months/years.

* I originally tried posting this in the "Breaking News" Forum but I still have no access to post there.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

This is what happens when you give one of the most brutal regimes in modern times trillions of dollars from the west.

China should have been treated like North Korea long ago.

All we are seeing is them treating the world like they do their own people.

This is what happens when the west places weaklings in power.

We sent a rabbit to deal with a pack of wolves.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Huh? Well, I guess since their "let's pretend numbers" economy is like the rest of the world's in that it's not real but seemingly hurt, they just want to do what 'Merica does best when it's chips are low and move lots of guns and stuff all around the globe. Except China is happy with throwing missiles around the South China Sea like chucking turds in a punch bowl.

It all comes down to Taiwan. If they attack or if China attacks them. That's when the high brass of the US military will unzip and reach in.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   

China has shown no weakness or intent of turning down or modifying their positions and demands over the territory and newly created Islands.. If they want to hold the islands then they have to defend them...right or wrong.. Also the warnings our surveillance aircraft and ships have received to stay away by the Chinese just got some teeth..

www.npr.org...

GREENE: And this island is disputed, we mentioned. That means China claims that it belongs to them, but other countries also claim same thing.

LANGFITT: Absolutely. And, of course, this is the problem across the South China Sea. China's controlled it for a long time. I want to remind people this is not one of those artificial islands that they basically built from sand. China's had it for many years. They've got a population of about 1,400 Chinese there. But Vietnam and Taiwan, they also consider it to be their territory as well.

GREENE: OK, so those are countries that are friendly with the United States. This is China now, as we understand it, putting surface-to-air missiles that could take down aircraft. This sounds pretty significant.

LANGFITT: I think it is. I've been talking to a lot of analysts today, and this is the first time most of them can remember China actually putting missiles on disputed islands. It might have happened a long time ago, but certainly recently, as we've seen in the last few years, there's been a lot of tension in the region. And this is the first time that people can really remember this happening. And people generally, I think, saw it as China upping the stakes in the area and kind of making the next tactical move. The U.S. Admiral Harry Harris - he's head of U.S. Pacific Command - he was in Tokyo today. He did a briefing, and he said that this represents a militarization of the South China Sea. And I think it's important for people back in the States to remember that these are really crucial sea lanes. A lot happens out here. You've got more than $5 trillion in trade. Twenty percent of that is U.S. trade. All the oil goes to Japan through the South China Sea. And we also have these countries here - China, Vietnam, the Philippines, Taiwan - all kind of arguing over these islands.

www.npr.org...

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

This is what happens when you give one of the most brutal regimes in modern times trillions of dollars from the west.

China is no different than the US.
Except in one regard...look around your place. Everything you own. Look where it was made. Obviously you're not Amish since you're online. But I guarantee you up to 75% of what you own was in China at one point in time.
You can thank that weak president Nixon and weak Hank Kissinger for all of this.
Both were staunch anti communists if I remember. Born in '75, so I just know what the books tell me.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...
Lets build some islands and take over some waters. I say if they can do it anyone can do it. We can take and charge countries for using our waters for shipping.
Way to destroy some reefs dumb arses.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Sounds like what the US did after world war 2.
They never left quite a few islands. And brought in more bombs, boats, planes, etc...
Those islands belonged to those people, too.

I'm not defending China here. Just trying to give some perspective globally.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Nixon going to China was an attempt to split the Communist world in two, between the Soviet Union and Red China, it worked but had helped create our present situation where we find ourselves now. The former Clinton Administration and others Kowtowing carried the ball further.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Honestly i think China has been hiding a lot away from the rest of the world.

Make a big song and dance about the "crap" that looks inferior.. all the while developing new stuff behind the curtain.

I base this on "art of war" something many should at least take a look at to try to understand anything done by Chinese military. I also base this on the logic of the situation... if we are to believe what they have shown is all they have then this move makes 0 strategic sense.. as they'd be at a major disadvantage if it did escalate, it's provocation without backbone.. i believe they have that backbone hidden away.. or some other ace up their sleeve (economic maybe??).

As an Aussie... this unnerves me to some degree.. my gov is "trying" to appear neutral, but we all know if it kicked off we'd have to chose a side.. and i believe we'd probably loose Darwin or Cains shortly before that decision.

Or..

Something else is going down, i don't trust Indonesia either.. it could be a play of stability placed well before the "move" they may have intel our gov's are not telling us... the past few years has been... rough.. diplomatically between Indo and Aus. and if Indonesia sent it all our way we'd be buggered for a time untill help arrived.. this may be a plan to secure Australian interests and curtail that development.

Both idea's suck honestly.. but from a observant viewpoint, they are both very valid moves in the long game.

and China... plays the long game.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
www.nytimes.com...
Lets build some islands and take over some waters. I say if they can do it anyone can do it. We can take and charge countries for using our waters for shipping.

The US doesn't have to make islands. They have over 600 foreign bases to this day around the globe. We came, we saw, we never left...don't forget about our nuclear deterrency plan or mutually assured destruction plan depending on the president. Sometimes it's both. Hail Reagan. (Chorus: Hail Reagan).

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

Except in one regard...look around your place. Everything you own. Look where it was made. Obviously you're not Amish since you're online. But I guarantee you up to 75% of what you own was in China at one point in time.
You can thank that weak president Nixon and weak Hank Kissinger for all of this.
Both were staunch anti communists if I remember. Born in '75, so I just know what the books tell me.

I was born in 78' so I'm in the same boat, though I blame it more in free trade agreements, and weak leadership under Clinton.

We are so screwed, China owned the rare earth market.

To quote call of duty black ops 2" what kind of idiot builds an entire military infrastructure based on a market completely controlled by China!!? "

Shakes head walks away....

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

Nixon going to China was an attempt to split the Communist world in two, between the Soviet Union and Red China, it worked but had helped create our present situation where we find ourselves now. The former Clinton Administration and others Kowtowing carried the ball further.

Essentially, it replaced made in Japan with made in China on all of my toys growing up.
And by the time I was an adult, everything else.
Clinton gave China that favored nation status, but they were entrenched by then. So glad you're posting more these days.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   

www.nytimes.com...

By the time all the environmental impact statements and protest are finished China could own all of S.E. Asia, Taiwan, the Philippines, Singapore, and no telling what else !

There is a reason America is sucking up to Vietnam and other countries in the region. China says, and the others say, which may be played out with lives lost if reason cannot be once again established.

How about a nuclear power plant for powering the islands
youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

I was born in 78' so I'm in the same boat, though I blame it more in free trade agreements, and weak leadership under Clinton.

We are so screwed, China owned the rare earth market.

To quote call of duty black ops 2" what kind of idiot builds an entire military infrastructure based on a market completely controlled by China!!? "

Shakes head walks away....

Yeah, cuz Clinton....

No. Blame the corporations that make the video game system you're playing call of duty on and who burn the discs and make the packaging. Not indigenous to the US. Eight years o'Bush didn't change the tune any...politicians come and go. And who pressured them and Congress to make China the most favored nation for trade relations? And gave them tons of money for their reelection campaigns?
Awesome exploitation deals aren't as famous, but they are legendary.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Well who would have guessed..

China stated only civilian infrastructures would be built on the islands.

I believe the phrase obama is looking for is -
"Oh good grief".

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

www.nytimes.com...

By the time all the environmental impact statements and protest are finished China could own all of S.E. Asia, Taiwan, the Philippines, Singapore, and no telling what else !

There is a reason America is sucking up to Vietnam and other countries in the region. China says, and the others say, which may be played out with lives lost if reason cannot be once again established.

How about a nuclear power plant for powering the islands
youtu.be...

Awww....Sky
Love ya, but I can show you twenty year old stuff of Colin Powell showing the UN trains with bio-chem weapons plants in them. Doesn't mean they're real, they weren't then. Doubt this is now.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Well who would have guessed..

China stated only civilian infrastructures would be built on the islands.

I believe the phrase obama is looking for is -
"Oh good grief".

Kinda like the US after World War Two who stated, we're just here to build bridges and roads...

And a base or two...

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

You mean the Marshall plan? The inception of the United nations? The creation of NATO to counter the soviet threat who occupied east Europe for 50 + years.

The bases were by mutual consent. Don't believe me research France and what occurred when they left NATO. Although im not really sure how it has a bearing on the China topic.

A for effort on the snarky response though.
edit on 18-2-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

You mean the Marshall plan? The inception of the United nations? The creation of NATO to counter the soviet threat who occupied east Europe for 50 + years.

The bases were by mutual consent. Don't believe me research France and what occurred when they left NATO. Although im not really sure how it has a bearing on the China topic.

A for effort on the snarky response though.

Not trying to be snarky.
The evidence is there.
And no, I don't believe you.

It has huge bearing on China asserting their presumed authority in the South China Sea as a perceived victor in World War Two. Just like the US.

See what I did there?

Seriously, no other country has as many military bases around the world as the US. We're Rome. Remember Rome? Didn't end well. I like pasta, though.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
In my opinion, China is simply testing the US. They will not fire first, nor will they defend their claims if the US ramps up activity there.

It's possible we need a new boogeyman since the cold war v2.0 isn't working as well as planned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join