It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teamster retirees fight massive pension cuts

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Xeven

The union funds aren't being mid managed by the union.

The businesses in right to work states just hire temporary and none union workers so less and less members are actually paying in.

On top of that there are less and less union run shops as they continue to move over seas

The unions in the private sector make up about 6% of the workforce.
The vipers would rather close shop than to allow equal power among their workers.

They want ALL the power at the government level and at the private sector level

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
That's exactly why the 401 K was invented....
......Some rob you with a six gun....some with a fountain pen.....
Bob Dylan

The stock market is a rigged game where insider traders are ahead of everyone else, and the ones that know the game well, pass the loosing investments onto everyone else, and take wins for themselves. Every American with a 401K should pull their money out of the markets and allow it to die. About 70 percent of the money in the markets is from 401K's and yet, 95% of it goes to the top .5%

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Did I miss something? Where does it say that the teamsters are doing this? I read it was Central states pension fund that was doing the cutting? Yet you blame the union for this? I'll ask again,did I miss something?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

They only bailout the super wealthy because we need them more.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

They only bailout the super wealthy because we need them more.

Well, they're trying to destroy the middle class because they know that when there's nothing left but poverty and super wealthy, people will beg for totalitarianism. There's no other reason I can see to deliberately destroy the middle class. It doesn't benefit the wealthy at all unless they want something more than just wealth. If they already have all the money in the world, what could they possibly have to gain from it? Their money comes from people who can afford to spend money. It makes no sense to break the people who make things work if they simply want to stay wealthy.

No. This is about ideology. Not money.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I know it's not about money, whoever controls the resources controls the currency.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
It's 15% right now, it will be much higher in the future.

Is that so? Now you can predict the future...

Give yourself an income that places you in the bottom 40% or so of wages in the US and look at how much you can actually get in returns.

I never said everyone was going to have the same earning potential so hypotheticals really achieve nothing.

It is possible to make bad decisions in life (and the stock market makes it a certainty since some stocks must go down in value), should those people simply never get to retire?

It is possible to get run over by a bus when you leave you house, should you stay indoor forever because of the risk?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Is that so? Now you can predict the future...

Because our current tax rates are unsustainable at current spending. Regardless of what the Republicans say, they're going to be forced to give in on this issue eventually. We can't cut spending enough to fix things, and we even have a lot of things we need to increase spending on such as welfare programs due to pension issues and infrastructure. Taxes will go up, and it will be a significant amount.

I never said everyone was going to have the same earning potential so hypotheticals really achieve nothing.

If a retirement plan isn't viable for the bottom half of society, then it's not accurate to say they can ever retire. There should be an option for a person who makes $10/hour to one day retire, that is not currently the case.

It is possible to get run over by a bus when you leave you house, should you stay indoor forever because of the risk?

People are going to make bad decisions, people cannot make good decisions without some segment of the population also making bad decisions. Taking care of society is supposed to happen despite a persons poor decisions. When you do everything right, you don't need the help.
edit on 18-2-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Because our current tax rates are unsustainable at current spending. Regardless of what the Republicans say, they're going to be forced to give in on this issue eventually. We can't cut spending enough to fix things, and we even have a lot of things we need to increase spending on such as welfare programs due to pension issues and infrastructure. Taxes will go up, and it will be a significant amount.

I disagree.

If a retirement plan isn't viable for the bottom half of society, then it's not accurate to say they can ever retire. There should be an option for a person who makes $10/hour to one day retire, that is not currently the case.

There is, it is called Social Security. While it is not the best it still exists.

People are going to make bad decisions, people cannot make good decisions without some segment of the population also making bad decisions. Taking care of society is supposed to happen despite a persons poor decisions. When you do everything right, you don't need the help.

It is not my, or anyone else's, obligation to pay for other people's poor decisions. If you pissed away your money doing dumb s*** then tough on you. Life has an implied risk.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join