It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLM Sides with sides with ‘LaVoy’ Finicum allies against Oregon bill (Black Lives Matter)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Of course they shield the cop's identity, public servants are a cohesive group.

The novelty was that the public also is, which is rarely publicized so clearly.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

The enemy of my enemy is my friend? Or is it "the BLM of my BLM is my BLM"?

In any case, I hope this brings a bit of perspective shift among two types of people that have been manipulated to dislike each other for decades.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

The enemy of my enemy is my friend? Or is it "the BLM of my BLM is my BLM"?

In any case, I hope this brings a bit of perspective shift among two types of people that have been manipulated to dislike each other for decades.

You perfectly encapsulate the several degrees of reason I brought this to the board's attention.

I am hopeful that if we are able to discuss all the parameters involved here, that both "sides" might come away with at least a tiny bit more understanding of the other ... myself also included.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

The only way this could be a better story of people who have in large part been conditioned to be divided coming together is if there weren't so many cursed acronyms involved. Good for all involved!

As far as releasing the cop's identity, I'm not actually sure how I stand on that. I'd be a YES for sure if there was found to be wrong doing, but if not, he'd probably have to go into whatever the equivalent of witness protection program would be called. Maybe names being named would help to ensure true justification before shooting to kill.

I'm not saying this one want justified, but thinking without a shield of protection after the fact, not as many would be partaking in this recent trend of increasing executions.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

So in your mind, Black Lives Matter and the various Bundy Gang Supporters that are claiming Lavoy Finicum was "murdered" are saying the same thing?

Do you also think the two groups are saying the same thing about government, just at two different levels? ie.

Black Lives Matter = local city and county governments

Bundy Gang Supporters = Federal government

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: tweetie

The Bill passed, 55-3.

Link to Oregonian article

Thank you for the update. This article is awful -- but no worse than others I've read. I believe the bill still has to pass the upper chamber before going to the guv for signature (and no doubt she will sign it if given the chance). The ACLU had said they would challenge any bill that prolonged release of the officer's name for longer than 90 days.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I was looking around for more info about any possible interaction between the respective groups/supporters, and didn't find anything in specific, but I found this and thought it was an interesting read:

The Oregon Standoff, Black Lives Matter, and Criminal-Justice Reform

This was published in The Atlantic on January 5, so just a couple days after the protest/occupation began, and looks at the principles and issues common to the groups.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I was looking around for more info about any possible interaction between the respective groups/supporters, and didn't find anything in specific, but I found this and thought it was an interesting read:

The Oregon Standoff, Black Lives Matter, and Criminal-Justice Reform

This was published in The Atlantic on January 5, so just a couple days after the protest/occupation began, and looks at the principles and issues common to the groups.

Excellent add to the thread. I can't dig in depth right now, but I will be back to comment. Thank you!

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: tweetie

The Bill passed, 55-3.

Link to Oregonian article

Thank you for the update. This article is awful -- but no worse than others I've read. I believe the bill still has to pass the upper chamber before going to the guv for signature (and no doubt she will sign it if given the chance). The ACLU had said they would challenge any bill that prolonged release of the officer's name for longer than 90 days.

What do you think? I can understand a cooling off period but at the same time it seems there have been a lot of cases during which the trigger was pulled too quickly. I don't think killing the officer who killed LaVoy by some avenging person is the answer but a lot of situations have been getting out of hand way too fast or way faster than in previous times. The public is tense and easily triggered and the cops are tense and easily triggered. It's not a good combination.

Aside from that I find it hard to believe if the Oregon Staties really have been threatened they would have a problem quickly sourcing who it's coming from. I can only imagine if I threatened my state police, they'd be on my doorstep or right behind me in about ten minutes to handcuff me and probably with a SWAT team in tow.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tweetie

What do you think?

In regards to the bill itself, as I understand it, I'm okay with it. I think a judge should have the discretion and authority to look at cases upon their individual merit and decide if it warrants sealing the name of the officer temporarily, upon petition from the appropriate authorities. I could also support keeping an officer's name confidential for an initial automatic time period, say 3 days, to give the authorities time for a preliminary investigation and report before releasing the name; as well as for the benefit of the officer. It is not easy on the heart or the soul to take a life -- even when justified. It's a traumatic event for most people. They deserve some time to receive counseling, to come to grips with the event, to collect their thoughts and make peace with their emotions. A few days could make all the difference for an officer dealing with a justified homicide... in the case of an unjustified homicide, the wheels of justice grind so slowly that a few days won't hurt anything.

I don't think killing the officer who killed LaVoy by some avenging person is the answer but a lot of situations have been getting out of hand way too fast or way faster than in previous times. The public is tense and easily triggered and the cops are tense and easily triggered. It's not a good combination.

That's the truth! And the way Finicum was ambushed has only fueled the fire. It's a powder keg giving off sparks, as the song says. And I think the feds know it. The more I think about it, the more I tend to believe that this bill at this time is intended not to protect "the" officer who killed Finicum, but to hide the number of officers who shot at Finicum and the number of times he was hit. It may not even be possible to know who fired "the" kill shot, or it may not be possible to identify just one kill shot. And I suspect the autopsy would have to be released simultaneously, and I'm sure the feds don't want to do that! This timing of this bill is more than just about protecting well armed and trained law enforcement officers from anonymous threats. But it sure does play into those crazy violent whackjob militia folk disinfo, eh?

Aside from that I find it hard to believe if the Oregon Staties really have been threatened they would have a problem quickly sourcing who it's coming from. I can only imagine if I threatened my state police, they'd be on my doorstep or right behind me in about ten minutes to handcuff me and probably with a SWAT team in tow.

Yup, me too -- and rightfully so!

I wrote a response here also.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Uh, oh for those who would say uh, oh.

The bill to protect the officer who killed LaVoy from having his name released soon has become stuck in the Senate. I'm surprised. I figured it would be pushed through the Senate as well.

Oregon Live

top topics

<< 1   >>

join