It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluoride-free drinking water in Calgary leads to rise in kids' tooth decay

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

originally posted by: raedar

applying fluoride to your teeth (as in toothpaste) and then spitting it out is a way to "remineralize" your teeth and is not toxic if you spit and rinse thoroughly.

I guess this doesn't bother you?

Exactly.

It burns a hole in cement and they only needed hazmat suits to clean it up. But its ok to to drink.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoWed, 17 Feb 2016 16:27:31 -06001620162America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

That is because fake teeth whitening is so popular in the U.S , especially amongst actors or any celebrity which are the americans they mostly get to see. Teeth whitening does not make for healthy teeth. It just makes them look like it.

Speak for yourself. : )

I do whiten my healthy teeth. Just because someone whitens their teeth, doesn't mean they aren't healthy.

link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

That is not what i said.

link   
a reply to: peck420

Either way someone is losing millions. So you don't think there is any motive to create a flawed study?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Either way someone is losing millions. So you don't think there is any motive to create a flawed study?

Not for U of C, which authored the study.

U of C has probably lost a considerable amount of Council 'pull' with this release. They just peed all over a couple of Councilors 'hang your hat on it' policy. I hope the Councilors don't punish them for it.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Many fruits and vegetables have several times the amount of fluoride in them than fluoride additive water and it is naturally occurring.

I call BS on the anti-fluoride water town criers. I never see them freaking out over green tea or grapes being high in fluoride.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

a reply to: raedar

Thanks for repeating it. I didn't disagree with your whole comment. Only the select portion that I quoted from you. If you want the same fluoride that burns holes though concrete on your teeth, its your choice. I think its crazy

Yeah I don't think they pour it directly from a tanker truck into the Crest bottle.

You know fluoride occurs naturally in many bodies of water, right?

We're on the same side of this debate, yet, somehow we must mince words. Hmmm...

With the difference that the fluoride in nature is completly different from the flouride that is produced and used in fluoridating our drinking water. Not to mentiont the difference in quantity that we get to ingest it since it is not only in our water and toothpaste but also in soda's and bottled water exceeding even the official reccomended limit by a huge margin.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoWed, 17 Feb 2016 16:38:15 -06001620162America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Braces, whiteners, and veneers.

A great smile can pay huge dividends socially and economically. north americans understand this. Also, it's been marketed well.

I doubt there is a difference in those who used tap water in the country and flouride city slickers.

The secret is not to feed a child sugary drinks and candy. average jane is conned into thinking "fruit" juice is that much better than soda for their children.
I remember in high schol they replaced soda in school with "fruit" juices. same caloric content. A PR stunt by state gov. idiocy.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

And again, I don't think they should be adding it to water and I stay away from it as much as I can. All I have said is that it is fine in toothpaste as long as you rinse thoroughly, and you have the option of using it or using fluoride-free.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

applying fluoride to your teeth (as in toothpaste) and then spitting it out is a way to "remineralize" your teeth and is not toxic if you spit and rinse thoroughly.

I guess this doesn't bother you?

Exactly.

It burns a hole in cement and they only needed hazmat suits to clean it up. But its ok to to drink.

Not what I said by any stretch. I do not drink fluoridated water.

This thread is like the twilight zone.

People arguing with people that agree with them.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Personally, I think people need to be educated on the evils of over sugar consumption. Sugar is in so many things that people consume far more than what's recommended a day because many folks aren't reading the labels on food items such as juice and cereals or processed foods. Juice from fruit has natural sugars and many folks have messed up taste buds from not knowing most fruit juices as they are, are sweet enough without added sugar.
Perhaps the fluoride people are in cahoots with the sugar and food industry.
Isn't it a well known fact that sugar rots the teeth?!
Here is article on how and why sugar messes up your teeth,
preventingcavities.com...
edit on 17-2-2016 by peppycat because: auto-correct?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

Hm. Yes. I agree we obviously spend more money on our teeth and more time in dentists office than some other locales. And with some of the techniques they have now, most everybody in the U.S. can have beautiful choppers. (It's all about the money, honey.)

*I know it's difficult to think about how your teeth look when you are dodging bullets, or trying to pay the rent and feed your family, so I'm not faulting anybody. And yep, it's true, -- big white teeth are trendy right now in the U.S. It's a part of affluence, or giving the appearance of affluence, but at the same time, I think fluoride has a part in preventing decay. And it's a harmless trend; not ridiculous as say, spraying yourself orange. hehe.

And look at African Americans! They have the best teeth of all. I don't know why. Genetics, maybe. But still, many Americans do have great teeth with or without dental cosmetics.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The review identified only three studies since 1975—of sufficient quality to be included—that addressed the effectiveness of fluoridation on tooth decay in the population at large. These papers determined that fluoridation does not reduce cavities to a statistically significant degree in permanent teeth, says study co-author Anne-Marie Glenny, a health science researcher at Manchester University in the United Kingdom. The authors found only seven other studies worthy of inclusion dating prior to 1975. The authors also found only two studies since 1975 that looked at the effectiveness of reducing cavities in baby teeth, and found fluoridation to have no statistically significant impact here, either.
Fluoridation May Not Prevent Cavities, Scientific Review Shows

They are talking about water and I am repeatedly agreeing with you and I agree with the article.

They aslo prove my point that it is beneficial in toothpaste.

From your link:

You might think, then, that fluoridated water's efficacy as a cavity preventer would be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. But new research suggests that assumption is dramatically misguided; while using fluoridated toothpaste has been proven to be good for oral health, consuming fluoridated water may have no positive impact.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: chuckk
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

From the report study, "In this study, though effects were NOT statistically significant, the decrease in permanent tooth decay in Calgary (F-cessation) that we observed using tooth-level data". (very little difference between no fluoride and with fluoride).

They did not take account of
1) were the children using fluoride tooth paste (in lieu of fluoride water)
2) were the children 'native' to the area (if they had many illegals in the study from an area that did not have normal oral hygiene, they would increase the variance).
3) were IQ levels taken? (fluoride water brings IQ down 10 points)

Here is their design in the experiment:

Design

We used a pre–post cross-sectional design with comparison group. Data were collected from population-based samples of schoolchildren during the 2004/2005 and 2013/2014 school years (October–May/June). The target population was children in grade 2 attending school in the Public or Catholic school system in Calgary and Edmonton. Calgary and Edmonton are well matched: they are the two largest cities in the province of Alberta and are both large urban centres with diverse demographic profiles

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Just a reminder, I only disagreed with the part that quoted from you. Good catch. I see "Fluoridated toothpaste has been proven to be good for oral health." Yet it doesn't state how good and if the consequences outweigh the benefits. Can you take a look at this one for me?

Now, a groundbreaking study published in the journal Langmuir has uncovered that the fluorapatite layer formed on your teeth from fluoride is a mere six nanometers thick. To understand just how thin this is, you'd need 10,000 of these layers to get the width of a strand of your hair! Scientists now question whether this ultra-thin layer can actually protect your enamel and provide any discernible benefit, considering the fact that it is quickly eliminated by simple chewing.
articles.mercola.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

With the difference that the fluoride in nature is completly different from the flouride that is produced and used in fluoridating our drinking water.

How?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Calcium Fluoride is a natural occurrence and Sodium Fluoride is the toxic waste that became a big money maker during the 50’s when waste deposits (Labeled dangerous by the EPA) began showing up in city water.

The term “fluoride” is a cover-up name for many of the toxic chemicals that make up fluoride, including lead, arsenic, aluminum, cadmium, fluorosilicic acid and even radioactive materials. The pure form of sodium fluoride is so toxic that by just consuming a small volume of it could kill you. This is why fluoridated toothpastes have warning labels on them and fluoride-free toothpastes do not.

Rat poison is a by product of sodium fluoride, and it is used to kill roaches, crickets, water bugs and silverfish.

Sodium fluoride is even more toxic than certain forms of rat poison. Would you put rat poison in your drinking water or toothpaste? If you eat a lot of conventional food, you are poisoning your body with sodium fluoride due to the fact that it is one of the main chemicals in pesticide, insecticide and fungicide.

consciouslifenews.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
the only thing too much fluoride in the water is proven to cause is dental fluorosis.
a slight yellowing of teeth.
there is a whackjob kipper trying to get it banned here, but he can't find any reasons for.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

Moderate amounts lead to dental effects, but long-term ingestion of large amounts can lead to potentially severe skeletal problems.

In skeletal fluorosis, fluoride accumulates in the bone progressively over many years. The early symptoms of skeletal fluorosis, include stiffness and pain in the joints. In severe cases, the bone structure may change and ligaments may calcify, with resulting impairment of muscles and pain.

Acute high-level exposure to fluoride causes immediate effects of abdominal pain, excessive saliva, nausea and vomiting. Seizures and muscle spasms may also occur.

www.who.int...

Your right for moderate amounts but how can you be sure the fluoride level is consistent or too high. It also can depend on how much water you drink. Don't forget the lead, arsenic, aluminum, cadmium and radioactive materials in with the sodium fluoride.
edit on 17-2-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

It is pretty obvious that the link you posted is referring to naturally occurring fluoride.

Distribution
Fluoride in water is mostly of geological origin. Waters with high levels of fluoride content are mostly found at the foot of high mountains and in areas where the sea has made geological deposits. Known fluoride belts on land include: one that stretches from Syria through Jordan, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Sudan and Kenya, and another that stretches from Turkey through Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, India, northern Thailand and China. There are similar belts in the Americas and Japan. In these areas fluorosis has been reported.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join