It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluoride-free drinking water in Calgary leads to rise in kids' tooth decay

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar

applying fluoride to your teeth (as in toothpaste) and then spitting it out is a way to "remineralize" your teeth and is not toxic if you spit and rinse thoroughly.

I guess this doesn't bother you?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

applying fluoride to your teeth (as in toothpaste) and then spitting it out is a way to "remineralize" your teeth and is not toxic if you spit and rinse thoroughly.

I guess this doesn't bother you?

I guess you are not understanding what I'm saying.

I repeat, I am against water fluoridation. I am encouraging others not to confuse the fact that it is, in fact, a good idea in toothpaste. At least by that token you have the option of using it or not.

I go through great pains to drink fluoride-free water and have done so for years.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

So I went to the dentist the first time in YEARS (like since 2006) and I had no cavities. Meanwhile, babies are getting cavities and tooth decay without fluoridation and you are trying to present this as a conspiracy? Looks like this is exactly what was going to happen.

Maybe you didn't read this thread to see that there are many other variables that were unaccounted for in the study. They are losing millions of dollars. Why not make flawed study to show that babies are getting cavities and you "need" fluoride.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: saadad
a reply to: raedar

But why are there no fluoride toothpaste? And why people who use that have better teeth?

Me first. I switched year ago to my homemade toothpaste and my mouth is stronger than ever.

Also when I cut my self I use saliva from my mouth, not some chemical powder, but I m little bit different than usual folks...

Not sure where your proof is that people that use fluoride free toothpaste have better teeth.....

I have nothing against fluoride-free toothpaste and I fully support you using it. Just know that you will be more prone to tooth decay unless you have found a way to re-mineralize your teeth. For me, my dentist noticed a difference when I had switched to fluoride-free toothpaste for a while and encouraged me to switch back and I have made the decision to do so.

I rinse my mouth repeatedly after brushing, and I drink fluoride free water.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Thanks for repeating it. I didn't disagree with your whole comment. Only the select portion that I quoted from you. If you want the same fluoride that burns holes though concrete on your teeth, its your choice. I think its crazy

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Oh I saw the thread that was trying to paint a conspiracy angle to this, but all I see is that without fluoride in water, tooth decay increases. Seems like simple logic to me.

I happen to not buy into all the goofy conspiracy theories about fluoride in the water. I don't mind it and it's clearly saved me tons in dental visits.
edit on 17-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Thanks for repeating it. I didn't disagree with your whole comment. Only the select portion that I quoted from you. If you want the same fluoride that burns holes though concrete on your teeth, its your choice. I think its crazy

Yeah I don't think they pour it directly from a tanker truck into the Crest bottle.

You know fluoride occurs naturally in many bodies of water, right?

We're on the same side of this debate, yet, somehow we must mince words. Hmmm...

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Maybe you didn't read this thread to see that there are many other variables that were unaccounted for in the study. They are losing millions of dollars. Why not make flawed study to show that babies are getting cavities and you "need" fluoride.

Who is losing millions of dollars?

The city of Calgary saved $10 million in immediate fluoride injector upgrade costs, and saved $1 million per year in maintenance and operation costs.

If the return to fluoridation, they will have to pay.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Yeah I don't think they pour it directly from a tanker truck into the Crest bottle.

We're on the same side of this debate, yet, somehow we must mince words. Hmmm...

I minced your word but it was a direct quote from you. I am aware it occurs naturally. I'm sure we get enough of it through foods and beverages. What your saying is straight fluoride is bad for teeth but if you dilute it, its good for you. Makes no sense to me.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

who ever that is selling the fluoride is losing money. If someone is saving millions. Someone is losing millions

edit on 17-2-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
Fluoride-free drinking water in Calgary leads to rise in kids' tooth decay, study indicates
www.cbc.ca...

University of Calgary study shows rise in decay worst in baby teeth

The study, published Wednesday in the journal Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, compared Grade 2 students in Calgary and Edmonton, which still adds fluoride to its drinking water.

"This is a relatively new finding, so we are going to take a look at the report and go from there with an evidence-based decision," she said. Denise Kokaram, of the Alex Dental Health Bus, says water fluoridation is the cheapest, most economical way to protect dental health in children — especially for families who can't afford dental care.

Jim Stevenson also voted to remove fluoride from Calgary's water, saying there was insufficient medical proof that keeping it would have any benefit.

Carra said at the time of the 2011 vote, council faced a cost of about $10 million to upgrade the city's fluoride injection system, plus an ongoing maintenance cost of $1 million annually.

"The conversation we were having with the province was that fluoridation is a public health issue

Wow...I didn't even know that this was happening in Alberta! Very shocking, and this smells really bad....from the clips I took from the article, this has multiple things that concerns me:

1) Fluoridation of water WITHOUT public vote...because mayors and government "know what is best" to decide for the people..big brother?

2) Big business for the fluoride supplier...using millions of dollars of funding to inject this chemical into public supply, rather than educating on using better toothpaste ($1.99 - 2.99 a tube or something) and diet (less sugary sweetness consumption). Now kids 2 years and under having issues with teeth, that worries me. I never had bad teeth growing up as long as I brushed. Something tells me it has something to do with what kids consume from early on.

3) Fluoridation is now a HEALTH ISSUE?! It never was for years...and now without consuming fluoride in moderation is not good for you? According to WHO?

All this is crap...nothing but about money and screwing over with people's lives. Just crazy!

Yeah this really is a big load of BS from the fluor industry. In europe they tried to get this through aswell but it got banned and there is certaintly no more tooth decay. Fluor is just chemical waste from the alluminium industry which does not break down naturaly so instead of containing it and storing it at great expense they created this scheme to make them billions instead of costing billions. It also makes people docile and lowers IQ but they already dealt with the woman who conducted that 10 year experiment.

This study is bought and paid for.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I minced your word but it was a direct quote from you. I am aware it occurs naturally. I'm sure we get enough of it through foods and beverages. What your saying is straight fluoride is bad for teeth but if you dilute it, its good for you. Makes no sense to me.

No, what I am saying is - fluoride (as in toothpaste, not directly from a tanker truck) is good for teeth when applied directly to teeth, not when ingested. After brushing, do not swallow the toothpaste. Rinse repeatedly. This will re-mineralize the tooth enamel and prevent decay, and you have ingested no fluoride.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I use fluoride free tooth paste and have a filter. I have never had a cavity, sounds like propaganda to me.
edit on 17-2-2016 by CosmicSmack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

The review identified only three studies since 1975—of sufficient quality to be included—that addressed the effectiveness of fluoridation on tooth decay in the population at large. These papers determined that fluoridation does not reduce cavities to a statistically significant degree in permanent teeth, says study co-author Anne-Marie Glenny, a health science researcher at Manchester University in the United Kingdom. The authors found only seven other studies worthy of inclusion dating prior to 1975. The authors also found only two studies since 1975 that looked at the effectiveness of reducing cavities in baby teeth, and found fluoridation to have no statistically significant impact here, either.
Fluoridation May Not Prevent Cavities, Scientific Review Shows
edit on 17-2-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Recently I was watching videos about what people in other countries "really think about Americans", and some guy travelled around to different countries asking people on the street what they thought.

Inevitably, no matter what country, some poor snaggled-tooth person would say "and of course, they have great teeth".

And I would think to myself well yeah, duh - flouride. But of course I would never say so. Especially on ATS.

: )

edit on 2/17/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So I went to the dentist the first time in YEARS (like since 2006) and I had no cavities. Meanwhile, babies are getting cavities and tooth decay without fluoridation and you are trying to present this as a conspiracy? Looks like this is exactly what was going to happen.

Then all the babies in europe must have cavities on a humongous scale since they banned fluoridation of the drinking water there.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicSmack

I use fluoride free tooth paste and have a filter. I have never had a cavity, sounds like propaganda to me.

It is, there is no proof that fluor is good for your teeth , there is a lot that shows it is bad for your teeth. It is chemical waste and It is one of the most toxic substances we know.
edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoWed, 17 Feb 2016 16:12:44 -06001620162America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

who ever that is selling the fluoride is losing money. If someone is saving millions. Someone is losing millions

The people that make the injecting equipment, which is used for more than just fluoride, lose the most. The employees required to maintain and operate said equipment would be next.

The actual fluoride itself...that is the cheap part.

It's not like they just walk up to a vat of water and dump a million dollar bag of fluoride in. It is the process that costs, not the product.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Recently I was watching videos about what people in other countries "really think about Americans", and some guy travelled around to different countries asking people on the street what they thought.

Inevitably, no matter what country, some poor snaggled-tooth person would say "and of course, they have great teeth".

And I would think to myself well yeah, duh - flouride. But of course I would never say so. Especially on ATS.

: )

That is because fake teeth whitening is so popular in the U.S , especially amongst actors or any celebrity which are the americans they mostly get to see. Teeth whitening does not make for healthy teeth. It just makes them look like it.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Fluoride is good for teeth when applied topically, not by ingesting.

No it is not. It is toxic as hell to anything it touches and you dont need to swallow it your tongue will absorb it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join