It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amid Year of Lethal Violence, Extremist Groups Expanded Ranks in 2015

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
SPLC� ��s Intelligence Report: Amid Year of Lethal Violence, Extremist Groups Expanded Ranks in 2015

I recent report from the SPLC magazine Intelligence Report (link) reported a 14% increase in hate groups as well as a 14% increase in domestic right wing extremist/terrorist groups.

The SPLC found that the number of hate groups operating in 2015 was 14 percent higher than in 2014. Antigovernment “Patriot” groups – armed militias and others animated by conspiracy theories – also grew 14 percent during the same period.

“While the number of extremist groups grew in 2015 after several years of declines, the real story was the deadly violence committed by extremists in city after city,” said Mark Potok, senior fellow at the SPLC and editor of the Intelligence Report. “Whether it was Charleston, San Bernardino or Colorado Springs, 2015 was clearly a year of deadly action for extremists.”

Hate groups increased from 784 groups in 2014 to 892 last year. Antigovernment “Patriot” groups grew from 874 in 2014 to 998.

This growth came amid a series of lethal terrorist attacks by extremists. In June, a white supremacist murdered nine black parishioners at a church in Charleston, South Carolina. In December, Islamist radicals killed 14 people at a work party in San Bernardino, California – just days after an anti-abortion extremist killed three people at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs, Colorado. These were just the worst of numerous other attacks and foiled extremist plots reviewed in this issue.

“After seeing the bloodshed that defined 2015, our politicians should have worked to defuse this anger and bring us together as a nation,” Potok said. “Unfortunately, the carnage did little to dissuade some political figures from spouting incendiary rhetoric about minorities. In fact, they frequently exploited the anger and polarization across the country for political gain.”

Forget about Muslims, this is a MUCH more significant threat to our lives than Muslim extremism. Idiotic Americans taking the law into their own hands, preaching hate, then shooting up places. It's a shame that one side of the political aisle doesn't want to address this growing issue. Heck not only do they not want to address it, they seem to be encouraging it.

This morning, someone posted a thread about a gun shop in OK saying it is a Muslim free zone. Really? This is the kind of stuff that is going wrong with our country. This is why hate groups are on the rise. Stop fueling the hate. I know many of you are scared (I'm sure you'll say worried or concerned though), but that isn't a reason to act.

One more thing. If you don't want gun control to become a major issue going forward, then you need to help work with people to come up with solutions to these problems. Be honest and identify the causes of what is fueling the rise in these numbers. Don't blame Muslims, because they are just a scapegoat. Most of the people this report is talking about are American citizens, and probably white at that (though that's just a guess).

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So you want to see just a one side of the coin ? Violence tends to create more violence and status que strikes in a way or another. Change begins from within but eventually when one doesn´t change the other will change too.
Sweden is a very good example for status quo striking in. They welcomed all in open hearted, they have been paying hard price and people have been suffering and now you see swedish patriotism raising its head.
There are things like oil and water and they do not mix well together.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Haters the hatiest they have ever been, say lovers.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I find it hard to take the SPLC seriously sadly...

From Wiki

It says that hate group activities may include speeches, marches, rallies, meetings, publishing, leafleting, and criminal acts such as violence.

Other than incitement & violence, I can't agree with their labelling of hate groups.

Leaflets and marches...
Come on, SPLC.

Is it a concern, perhaps, but I'm not going to fear the rise of the far right, anymore than I'd fear the rise of Muslim extremists.

It's happening in England too, they think they're the "silent majority"...
Buffoons.
edit on 17-2-2016 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling/autocorrect!

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I absolutely love posts about how much worse patriot militia groups are than Muslim extremists and how scared we should be of them. It always provides a good chuckle. By all means, please go over to any Muslim country (Syria, Afghanistan, etc) and stroll down the street and see how the extremist Muslims treat you. Then go over to whatever you think the worst militia group in the US is. Then for fun, go to any urban ghetto neighborhood. Heck, even go to a poor inner city high school. See where you feel safest.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This thread is going to become oneupmanship.

I can see it already.

How about sticking to the topic and debate the meat of the issue.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Look at one side and not the other? When have we explored this side? It's usually exploring the Muslims aspect, but rarely if ever this is discussed. Don't try changing the topic to Muslims. This topic isn't about muslims.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

You mean just one side of the coin ? isn´t that very biased ?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I absolutely love posts about how much worse patriot militia groups are than Muslim extremists and how scared we should be of them. It always provides a good chuckle. By all means, please go over to any Muslim country (Syria, Afghanistan, etc) and stroll down the street and see how the extremist Muslims treat you. Then go over to whatever you think the worst militia group in the US is. Then for fun, go to any urban ghetto neighborhood. Heck, even go to a poor inner city high school. See where you feel safest.

Why should I do any of that? I live in the United States. I want to address and acknowledge the threats that threaten Americans in the United States. Not the things that threaten people half way around the world. In the United States THESE types of extremists are more dangerous than Muslims, so that is what we should be addressing.

Though frankly, I don't think any form of extremism is that dangerous to Americans, but the stats in this OP are very alarming.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Did i say anything about m-people ? are you disagreeing with me about the other side of the coin ?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

You mean just one side of the coin ? isn´t that very biased ?

The topic is rise in far right groups...

And ATS prides itself on denying ignorance...

So I'd rather stick to the topic than create Strawman arguments and red herrings.
Maybe that's just me. And Krazy. I know he hates a fallacy as much I as I do.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

But when I compare the amount of terrorist attempts by Muslims compared to terrorist attempts by any of these groups, where there would have undoubtedly been much loss of life if it wasn't for law enforcement, there is a different picture.
edit on 17-2-2016 by TheTory because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

Did i say anything about m-people ? are you disagreeing with me about the other side of the coin ?

No, I am saying that there is more fueling this particular rise in extremism than JUST Muslims.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

But when I compare the amount of terrorist attempts by Muslims compared to terrorist attempts by any of these groups, where there would have undoubtedly been much loss of life if it wasn't for law enforcement, there is a different picture.

Please provide the stats for quenched terror attacks for Muslims and far right groups in the US...

Because as far as I know the FBI & CIA do not expose their own means of fighting terror from whichever group.

I await the data patiently, thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Where is your evidence of this comparison exactly? Is it contained to just within the United States or the entire world? Because this article is for the United States.

Besides, I have this:
You Are More Than 7 Times As Likely To Be Killed By A Right-Wing Extremist Than By Muslim Terrorists
edit on 17-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I see your point, but one side view is very narrow.. so why not expand it. I wonder how Americans who feel themselves as a patriots and people who have survival skills ( for all kind of reasons are labeled as patriots aswell ) wish to hold on their constitutional rights and rights to own guns are ripped off their rights in the name of being PC and same time when they believe in their rights they are rendered as the evil which walks on the american ground. I wonder..
Violence creates violence and when constitutionals rights are in danger and your loved ones has been victimized then you will see patriotism to rise. this happened in Sweden and in sweden patriotism was very small if existance before.
History tends to repeat itself over and over again. Its a human nature.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

List of unsuccessful terrorism attacks in the US post 9/11

Regarding this evidence, what do you think?
edit on 17-2-2016 by TheTory because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Did I step into an Orwellian nightmarescape???

Oh wait, it's just a Krazyshot thread.

2+2=5
Muslims=Always Good
White America=Always Bad

And I have the sources to prove it too.

How in the world you can justify going into every thread about Islamic Terrorism and bash people for having any concerns at all for their safety and then turn around and create a thread like this is baffling to me. Probably because I live in the real world and you are stuck in 1984

ALL groups are capable of terrible things. It is not a white/black/purple/Islamic/Christian/Cat/Dog issue. You think you're in some sort of higher order because you choose to hate on White people instead of Brown people?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The SPLC has the picture of a man with zero ties to extremist groups, and who has never been convicted of any hate crime on its cover.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

List of unsuccessful terrorism attacks in the US post 9/11

Your source is incomplete and therefore inadmissible as evidence to your claim.

I know for a fact there was more than one failed attack in America on 2015, because there was a highly publicised Nail Bomb attack thwarted that was discussed at length on ATS and it didn't make the list.

Like I said, I don't think a complete list exists, so while I respect your opinion, I hold my reservations as to who has been stopped the most.

Remember this is about hate crime rising, not terrorism.
Two completely different lawful definitions that our residents with a badge can attest to.
edit on 17-2-2016 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join