It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So whats the best hardware setup for upcoming Virtual Reality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well if you didn't already know it 2016 is the year of VR. This year will finally see the rise of virtual reality gaming but its not going to be cheap. Its said that you will need 3x the power of an average PC to play VR smoothly so many of us are going to have to upgrade our hardware.

Im currently splitting up and selling my entire PC to be ready for VR because i think now is the best time to get the most for all my old parts. My old gaming rig was:

i7 2600k
asrock z77 pro3
gigabyte radeon r9 290 windforce
gigabyte radeon r9 290 windforce
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 RAM x2 1600mhz dual
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 RAM x2 1600mhz dual

The case is a thermaltake level 10 which im keeping

Ive been doing a lot of research trying to work out how to put together the best VR rig at the most reasonable price and this is what ive come up with so far:

Intel Core i7-6700K (LGA 1151)
ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel
Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz (2x16gb)
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti 6GB

Im not 100% sure on the motherboard yet but the ASUS Z170-A seems pretty good. I usually go with Asrock though.

Another thing im considering is just when to buy the hardware. Should i wait a few more months before buying the GFX card and memory in the hope the price will drop slightly?

edit on 16-2-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
3 times the average PC prob means an average gaming machine. the average PC is not that great according to what my friends has. is it me or is VR coming at a snail pace. I would figure people be all over this junt alaready.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Upcoming hardware.

Why do you complicate this answer?
Todays hardware is sluggish, in comparisent to upcomming.

That's the best answer for upcomming VR.

If you live in the here snd know the Oculus would be the best bet.
Oculus offers very specific hardware for use with their VR.
They even have a page where you can check out system requirements and have a look at oculys ready pc's:
www.oculus.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I'd wait until June.AMD,Intel and NVidia are all bringing new goodies out mid-year and your old system isn't at all slow.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The only thing that even begins to look like true VR is NVidia's new NVFlex that was first embedded in FO4 with patch 103. Certain industries will feed off the gaming fan's money for years to come before it comes to pass.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I'd wait until June.AMD,Intel and NVidia are all bringing new goodies out mid-year and your old system isn't at all slow.

Thanks for the heads up on when the new goodies arrive

Im not hooked on any game right now so i wont miss any of my bits as they get sold. Ive just sold the two GFX cards on ebay for a pretty good price.

edit on 16-2-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
You and I don't know each other and my expertise is definitely questionable from that standpoint but I would highly recommend waiting for the next generation of both CPU and GPU to drop later on in 2016. As far as performance goes the reviews show that you're not entirely sure what the hardware requirements will be for VR but what they've noticed is a trend that the hardware at the current time is barely reaching the minimum for the software. You can probably has a rig that will be ready for VR in the time and have everything set up but if its possible for you to wait it out I would highly recommend waiting it out for the next generation.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I heard on IGN GameScoop podcast recently that there's going to be a bundle available soon- Oculus CV1 headset, PC to run it, and a few VR games, $1500 for the whole bunch. Lots of ppl expected the price tag to be heftier, considering that the standalone headset costs $700. So it's likely the PC that's bundled in will be a budget type rig, strong enough to handle the processing demands, but near enough to the minimal specs to keep the cost down. Not sure if they've released the specifics of the hardware yet, but if u can find this info, it would be a good starting point for your build.

Good luck friend, and make sure to make a new post in this forum when you get it, and let us fellow ATS Gamers know how it is!!

EDIT: Here's a link to some info on the bundles I mentioned-

Oculus Bundles from Asus and AlienWare

A couple commenter are a little disappointed, saying that price should get an i7 rather than an i5. And one recommended a waiting period of 3 months so the price would inevitably drop, even as a responder insisted the price would go up once the deal expired. I've always been a console gamer, so PC hardware is outside my base of knowledge. But like many others I am very fascinated with VR, so I'm looking forward to see what everyone- you included- thinks of the early experiences. Keep us posted!
edit on 2172016 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

edit on 2172016 by M4nWithNoN4me because: Updated info

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Keep your rig, your fine for the VR experience. And skip this gen of VR hardware, give it a bit to mature and most importantly, give team green and team red some time to create good VR drivers.

nvidia and amd are dropping new gpus with vr in mind and the highbandwith of hbm2 will make new architexturez better at higher resolutions. Not to mention, depending on performance, amds Zen processors can drop the prices of whats on the market.

Sit and wait is what i say.
edit on 23-2-2016 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2016 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join