It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why some people believe in God and in the bible and others do not.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: grahag
So if a voice claiming to be God tells you to kill your neighbor and his family, would you do it without question?

In my opinion, this is the best question to ask anyone who believes in God as their heavenly father and Jesus as their personal savior.

There is precedent in the bible of this happening, so it's a valid question that deserves an answer. If someone feels they have been chosen by God, then they'd have to answer truthfully.

LOL God Did tell Abraham to Kill His Son Issacc ! Right!

God tells the Jews to kill the Canaanites !!
Moses killing Children ( first Born ) by gods command ..
only orders to chosen ones to place lambs blood on doors of places
to save the ones from Death..

got to say it!!

Zardoz: You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion.
To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!

ZARDOZ has Spoken !

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kitana

But if you heard a voice commanding you to murder your neighbors and you felt deep in your heart/spirit that it absolutely was Jesus/God speaking to you.......would you do it?
edit on 19-2-2016 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
If atheist do not believe in the Bible. How do they justify its existence over the eon's? If they do not believe the Bible exists is it because the Bible contains words that they do not want to hear and believe, because it goes against their life choices. I have problems with atheist trying to prevent Christians and governmental agencies co-existing together in a belief that God created us. Our founding fathers believed in a Christian belief. Atheist just need to accept that fact.

It is intellectually dishonest of you to debate the way you are. The why you phrase things indicates you are aware of this.

Here are some the "words we do not want to hear or believe"

"Atheist do not believe in the bible". Very Good, but you seem to assume that atheist are the one printing the bible. We know the book exists. We feel the book is full of flawed logic, flawed stories and flawed advice to live by that are barbaric. Just like you use flawed logic in your statement.

Example of a questionable story. Jesus hears there is man dying named Lazarus, Jesus says "Sure I can save him, he is suffering greatly. Yet I should wait until he dies so the miracle will appear to greater to my flock." Great suffer is okay IF a religious leader can ues it to makes god seem great. nice message.

Jesus and god want us not to kill but "yhee shall not suffer a witch to live". Killing a witch is okay, you do not even have to confess it.

The bible gives advice on whipping your slaves so they work the next day. The bible support slavery and beatings.

The world is only 6000 years old. Starting with just two people how did we generate a population of 17 billion in that short of a time.

I will not continue with the hundreds of examples. I am glad to see a us history provides you some quotes from the past.

editted for grammer
edit on 19-2-2016 by SmilingROB because: editted for grammer

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica

originally posted by: OldMason
People accept the bible, and the Koran because they want (and believe in) eternal life. Is it all a myth? Impossible to say.
a reply to: DeathSlayer

More like eternal fear of death. It's actually quite pathetic.

Is fear of death pathetic?

I would rather leave the question at that, but I think the rules of ATS force me to have more than one line of text. I have now made a second line, but in doing this I have diluted the poignancy of my post, making it less striking. So I will add this question:

Is it shameful to die?
edit on 19-2-2016 by Subnatural because: I'm sorry... I'm getting all socratic now, lol

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Subnatural

It absolutely is pathetic. Humans are so addicted to their conditioned little existences, barely understanding how the conditioning of their parents & grandparents has affected their lives, the whole while worrying they're gonna lose whatever materialism they've gained once they die. I welcome death. Anything is better than this current reality.

Why would it be shameful to die?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

I answered your question; as the scenario is antithetical to the nature of the God I worship, then it would be impossible for me to believe it that it was the God I worship asking me to do such a thing.

You might like to ask the people who worship the antithesis of my God however, if you want an answer different from the one I gave you, but as you asked about followers of Jesus specifically, then I don't see why the biblical, logical and honest answer from a follower of Jesus is not good enough for you.

You asked for an honest answer, and one was given.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Esoterotica

I fear death. But actually, maybe you're right that it is pathetic. I wasn't even trolling in my previous post, and I'm not trolling now. Just saying that to be safe, lol.

The way I see it, you can look at it from two different perspectives:

It's bravery to face or defy death, not in making stunts like evil-kneviel or whatever that American guy was called, but in facing actual death with scorn, or with fascination, such a Sartre wrote about. Or maybe with indifference, even. But this is sort of irrelevant to the question.

On the other hand, death is contrary to every human and animal instinct. I don't think you can blame anyone for fearing death. It's just built into the being. If anyone is ever justified to fear anything, it must be death. The least pathetic fear is the fear of death. But it can still be pathetic I guess. Maybe all fear is pathetic.

Now that I think about it, I must conclude you're right. Fear of death is pathetic. It is obvious that not fearing death is less pathetic than fearing death. You are right.

Never thought anyone on ATS would change my mind, to be honest. I did star you already, heh.

About the shamefulness of death:

I still believe in this. Dying is the most intimate thing you can do. If there are other people present, obviously. I guess if you die alone then there is no direct shame in it. But dying is the ultimate loosing of control of your body. And this is shameful, in our society. And society defines what is shameful.

I like your avatar, by the way. Good night and good luck!

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Therefore my esquire* will claim these specific acres and ignore previous rule, in the name and for Royals of Spain. shazam! Spanish speaking country for centuries, Spanish named cities to this day.

Cervantes (paraphrased)
Believable book about Don Quixotic

*Or protestant monastery in Japanese cartoon Hellsing

Since research demonstrates. Both opinions being educated

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kitana

I answered your question; as the scenario is antithetical to the nature of the God I worship, then it would be impossible for me to believe it that it was the God I worship asking me to do such a thing.

You might like to ask the people who worship the antithesis of my God however, if you want an answer different from the one I gave you, but as you asked about followers of Jesus specifically, then I don't see why the biblical, logical and honest answer from a follower of Jesus is not good enough for you.

You asked for an honest answer, and one was given.

Well ignoring (as you seem to have) the fact that the god in the bible commands Abraham to murder his son making such an action completely biblical, the question was obviously hypothetical and so I wasn't asking if you thought it could happen but what you would do if it did happened....

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer
It's not, do people believe in God so much as do they believe that the biblical God is worthy of worship?

God is good, the bible is violence and punishment with a reward at the end if you "just believe in Christ" and stop worshipping evil like the OT and its war "god".

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

That was a one time event - in which God did not expect Abraham to follow through, and stopped him from following through - to show the love it requires for God to give His perfect creation unto death for our salvation. This shows it from the human standpoint, so that we better understand this absolute love God has for us when He gave His only begotten son to suffer and die, for our sake.

God does not require it from us, He gave this to us - and that scene exemplified what kind of love and devotion it takes for HIM to have done that.

Therefore, we are back to my answer. My God would never require such a thing from me, as to ask me to kill my neighbor. If you want a different answer, ask those whose god does require it of them. Mine simply does not.

edit on 22-2-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

The reason many people do not believe in Christianity is not hard to grasp. Do you believe in the divine God Zeus?
Or all-father Odin? If not you are also a non-believer.

Christianity is just another mythology, same as those.
And there is no proof whatsoever of New Testament events ever happening. Christian scholars actually know this and is the reason it's called a religion of "faith".

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: joelr

Actually, you're wrong because [insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

[insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]
edit on 23-2-2016 by Esoterotica because: Too much scripture

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica
a reply to: joelr

Actually, you're wrong because [insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

[insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

Ha!

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join