It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the Government Decide if You're an Organ Donor?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
How about a selective service type registry for organ donation?? Like, ok you are required to "volunteer" your donation status, but instead of penalties for not doing so, you are rewarded for doing so?? Like mentioned earlier, some partial subsidies for funeral costs, or even partial subsidies for our mandatory medical insurance premiums???

Isn't that almost like holding someone's life hostage? Unless I get something, you die.
Personally, I have no problem with them ripping me apart (after my death of course) and taking whatever organs are still useful. I can't for the life of me (pun intended), understand why people care about what happens to their shell.

I know this thread isn't getting a lot of traffic, but, anyone against this care to answer the question I asked earlier?
edit on 16-2-2016 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

I know this thread isn't getting a lot of traffic, but, anyone against this care to answer the question I asked earlier?

This intrigues me, why do you feel that way? Religious viewpoints or just a control issue? You planning on using it again? Do you have kids? How would you feel if they needed an organ because theirs was failing and death was imminent?

Both
Yes, as fertilizer for a specific tree

Also, I wouldn't put an organ in someone that wasn't homegrown, unless they asked.
If they're too young to ask and their organs already fail, well maybe they're not the longevity type.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Absolutely not. When it comes right down to it, there are very few things left that a human being has control over. I always draw the line at my body and my mind. It should be up to me and no one else.

This intrigues me, why do you feel that way? Religious viewpoints or just a control issue? You planning on using it again? Do you have kids? How would you feel if they needed an organ because theirs was failing and death was imminent?

Not trying to start an argument, I'm just wondering.

Edit: The question can also be answered by the people that star the post I'm talking about.

My post speaks for itself. It's not complicated. My body belongs to me as much as anything can. I have a right to say what happens to my remains as every free human being in history has.

But hey. I'm one guy and I know how this mob rule thing works. If a million people say my body belongs to the state, they win. You know what they say. Rights are outdated.
edit on 16-2-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

What part of opt out instead of opt in removes any choice from you?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Dear Constituent,

Could you do something? Lay off the sauce. Your congressman needs another liver.

Kindest regards,

Your Government.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Okay. But no government should have such power, IMO.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Why not just "default" all property ownership to government when you die?

Your house, cars, boats, money, coin collections, all assets as of right now, belong to government.

But you can always opt out.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I don't believe it's right and could lead to concerning issues if people are mandated by government to become one.

originally posted by: ReadLeader
This got me to thinking, after reading this article; right or wrong, organ doner save lives. I've been one since I was old enough to mark it on my license. How many mllions of lives could be saved? I am sure many will say Hail No. It's my body.... What if it were your loved one, in the hospital bed waiting for that gift of life? Would you still say "no"?

I am one as a choice, as family before me and the lives we saved with that choice. Hope others by their donation would show in a time of need. Though, again with that, it should not be forced.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
agents of the government (police and those who work with them) would obviously love nothing more than to encourage the general population to remand their choice and free will to the authoritarians in power. I just hope they can make that connection and realize exactly what they are advocating.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I am no longer a Organ Donor or blood donor for others safety
I have two rare autoimmune disorders that can be transmitted by Organ Denotation.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...'s_disease

If the government missed that i one time had these active disorders the persons getting the organs might regret getting the transplant.

Though i am now in remission i still am totally disabled from them and have been for 14 years. and i had a very mild case of both of them.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I would like to see Automatic Organ Donor - - with right to Opt out.

That you are automatically a donor - - - unless you choose not to be.

In getting a drivers license they ask if you want to be a donor. What if it was the other way around.

That you had to request not to be.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012

Absolutely not. When it comes right down to it, there are very few things left that a human being has control over. I always draw the line at my body and my mind. It should be up to me and no one else.

Not trying to start an argument, I'm just wondering.

Edit: The question can also be answered by the people that star the post I'm talking about.

My post speaks for itself. It's not complicated. My body belongs to me as much as anything can. I have a right to say what happens to my remains as every free human being in history has.

But hey. I'm one guy and I know how this mob rule thing works. If a million people say my body belongs to the state, they win. You know what they say. Rights are outdated.

So a control issue. Got it. Thanks for letting me know.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

In getting a drivers license they ask if you want to be a donor. What if it was the other way around.

Then quite a few stupid people would complain they were being forced to do things, all while not realizing that there were opt out procedures. They'd probably all get their reasoning from some obscure political blog on the internet too. Or Breitbart.
edit on 17-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: wisvol
So a tree is more important to you than a human life. Got it.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

No.

We all have the right to be secure in our persons. If the government can decide we are organ donors, no matter how good intentioned that may be, we are no longer secure in our persons. Our bodies would no longer be our own. The basic presumption would be that the government actually owns our persons for the greater good, and we are only allowed use of them so long as it is convenient for the government to allow us to have them.

What happens when you start to combine the ideas of Eminent Domain with this?

Say a scientist on the level of a Stephen Hawking needs a new organ, but the only possible match is still alive and well and belongs to an average Joe named Bob?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Annee

Then quite a few stupid people would complain they were being forced to do things, all while not realizing that there were opt out procedures. They'd probably all get their reasoning from some obscure political blog on the internet too. Or Breitbart.

I know. Too bad. You're dead.

Relatives will just have to go to court to change the law.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

When you decide whether or not to do something, it is your choice. In this case with an opt in, the basic decision is made for you and you have to make steps to back out of the choice which was taken from you.

It presumes your body is not your own.

I thought you types were all about "My Body My Choice." Unless we're talking about your organs, and then you're too lazy to sign a donor card?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Of course, there are those who don't believe a body should be violated after death either, but screw them and their beliefs! I want what I want, and my rights trump theirs!

So much for death with dignity.
edit on 17-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh Kets... Tsk tsk. I thought it was obvious that I was just being facetious and not serious there? Did you not see my original post in the thread?

No, and I've been an organ donor since I got my learner's permit at 17. Yes, it saves lives, but it should be a choice.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Where did you get that from?

I said I'd like to use my own body after I'm dead as fertilizer because I think recycling is dandy.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join