It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Cargo plane held on the ground in Zimbabwe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
A cargo plane owned by Western Global Airlines is being held in Zimbabwe after ground crew noticed blood dripping from the aircraft during a routine fueling stop. During the investigation into where the blood was coming from, a body, and several million South African Rands were found. The body is believed to be that of a stowaway. The aircraft departed from Germany, and was bound for South Africa.

Western Global Airlines is based in Florida, and flies 16 MD11 freighters. Reports say that the crew on this aircraft consisted of 2 Americans, a Pakistani, and a South African.

Authorities in Zimbabwe have impounded a US-registered cargo jet with a dead body and millions of South African rand on board, a senior official said on Monday.

Civil Aviation Authority of Zimbabwe general manager David Chawota confirmed a plane registered with Western Global Airlines was impounded at Harare International Airport on Sunday. A web site says Western Global Airlines is based in Estero, Florida.

"The case is now in the hands of the state. It involves nationals and property of other countries so I am no longer qualified to give much detail but yes we impounded the plane on Sunday," Chawota told The Associated Press.

"The crew requested to land for refuelling but our ground-handling personnel discovered blood leaks and became suspicious. Talk to the police for more details," he said by telephone, refusing to give details about the crew or the cargo.

www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm always interested in knowing how in the hell they manage to evade airport security, the staff working at the airport on the tarmac and climb into the wheel housing (I'm assuming this is where they hide ?) without anybody noticing ?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

All airports have holes in their security system around the ramp. I've seen quite a few people not even look twice at others walking on the ramp, because they assumed that since they were on the ramp, they were allowed to be there. Then it's just a matter of waiting until no one is looking, and in a few seconds you're in the wheel well.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

In order to comprehend this, what you need to get, is a little perspective.

Airports are not small places. Even a relatively compact airport is vast, capable of hosting several sporting events all within their grounds. For this reason, they have REALLY massive perimeters. Those are usually fenced off, and many of the prefabricated entrances and exits off the premises, gates and so on, are alarmed and connected in some manner, to the security systems within the terminal, or at guard posts somewhere on the premises.

However, there is virtually no way to police the entire perimeter at once, because there are not unlimited resources of manpower, and because it is not always safe to be foot patrolling around the edge of an airstrip. Getting launched twenty feet through the air as a result of jet wash from a passing aircraft, is a damned good way to get workers comp, but is not a great way to keep your employers liability insurance premiums as low as possible.

Now, take O'Hare international airport... That's 29 square kilometres of land, with an enormous perimeter. It is physically impossible to guard or monitor all of it, at the same time, and prevent any and all penetration of that perimeter. In fact, the AP ran a story dealing with some eleven largely unreported incidents where nutbars of one sort or another jumped over, crushed, crashed their cars through, or generally penetrated the perimeter fences at airports around the US, causing minimal dollar value damage, and no other real trouble, aside from causing the scramble one would associate with a security breach at a major transport and travel hub.

Here's a link to the Chicago Tribune article, which refers to APs work on the subject in part...
www.chicagotribune.com...

In short, it's an issue of size of area, size of perimeter, and not enough manpower resources.
edit on 15-2-2016 by TrueBrit because: Removed extra reply tag, added link

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Wow ! I'm guessing he exploded in the air ? Pressure ?.... Or was he murdered ? And how much is a rand in American dollars ?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Usually if they hide in the wheel well, they're crushed by the gear when it comes up, or if they survive that, they freeze to death. In this case, since there was blood, I'd say that he was crushed, if that's where he was hiding (but that's the most popular place to hide, as it's the most easily accessible.

1 Rand = 0.063 US Dollar

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

as 1million SA rand is worth 44000 punds [ UK exchange rate ] so i guess money cannot by inteligence after all

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Wow! More interesting than I expected based on the thread title! I was expecting a highly-knowledgable thread about some mechanical issue on a plane.

If it hasn't been covered yet (will be circling back to read replies), the conversion of Rand to USD is about 15.75 Rand = $1.00. So if the "millions" is 15.76, that's $1 Million. Cash and dead stuffed into a cargo plane...I hope this one is fleshed out for details eventually!

ETA: Ok, so the wheel-well stowaway makes sense, would love to know the story behind what he was doing (well, intending to do.)
edit on 2/15/2016 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
He snuck into the wheel well, and when the gear retracted it severed his arm, which led to blood spattering on the fuselage. The money was being transported to the South African central bank. There were six crew and "a few" officials from the South African national bank on board.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Sounds as though the money part was added for drama and had nothing to do with the man. I am surprised that money info was even given out although shipments wouldn't be a giant secret.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Never write a story accurately if you can generate more hype.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Never write a story accurately if you can generate more hype.

Isn't that the first rule of modern journalism? Internet clicks have made that rule even more important.

Anyway, does that model aircraft have less spare room in the wheel well then other large aircraft. I see a opening for a "air stowaway for dummies" book.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

It's about the same as other aircraft that size. There are a few places that you can stash yourself that would be clear of the gear when it retracts, but you'd have to contort yourself pretty badly.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I remember seeing this news video. Maybe pick the wrong spot and it's bad news.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

WTF ?????????????????

i had a very low opinion of CNN yesterday - but today - i now think thery are utterly insane

why not just publish " stowing away for dummies " ???????????????

broadcasting explicite " guidance " on where they "safe void " in a wheel well of an aircaft that is in global service is fooking retarded

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

It's what I've come to expect from CNN lately honestly.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
First, you must know that many cargo planes are used with delivering weapons and drugs and soldiers.

Even if the planes are used by American companies, or the Amnesty International, or the UN. In Africa, many customs officers are corrupt. It is not like in the USA I think. For example, the UN contracts a cargo plane to deliver foods for Africans people. The people who own this plane, they give the cheap price, which is why the UN hires them. They do not make the money on the foods, they make the money on the "grey cargo", this which can be anything. And it is not only little amounts, in some planes they can carry tanks and tonnes of guns. When they meet the customs, they just give them some money, and the customs ignores it.

I tell this so maybe some people can know of how these things do happen in some countries's airports.

But, how did this guy die? If there is blood, he probably was killed for some reason.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Helicopter

He was crushed by the landing gear.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Interesting,Zim is one of our neighbouring countries. Oh well, the plane was bound for South Africa,so a blood,blood money,death,murder and corruption connection is to be expected Somewhere along the line

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

That's exactly what I thought.. Show them how.. idiots.. They do this with tons of stuff.. Like how to get into places, how to break into/hack things.. just dumb. The news isn't local anymore folks.. its intel for bad guys.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join