It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gnostic Christianity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

That vid is a good take on the subject . Micheal Heiser has a lecture on the subject . Dr. Michael Heiser: Gnosticism Lecture (Full)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
how could they be wise to thumb their noses at God?...The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom

They were thumbing their noses at Yahweh, not God.

You don't have to be afraid of the Most High God, he is merciful and everything Yahweh isn't.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ItisnowagainThe knowledge is in he who knows knowledge, to know knowledge is to know thine self. To know thine self is to know the one who self willed the all.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

Why would a god have to give a man a reason for what he's doing. If you see a cockroach you might step on it and squish it. Do you have to explain to the cockroach what your'e doing or apologies to it after you do?

Well, I do. But that's just me. Why would you worship and praise a god that treats you like a cockroach?

edit on 12-2-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid
Actually, the term 'sanitary sewer' does make sense when one knows what a sanitary sewer replaced. Before sanitary sewers, crap from chamberpots would be dumped directly into the gutters of the streets... not too sanitary.

On topic, I enjoy reading the Apochrypha. There are things that make sense, and I can easily see why the RCC leaders didn't want them included in the Bible.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Hi Ras,
Interesting topic. I have been looking into Gnosticism for a little while now. You appear to be pretty knowledgeable on the subject, so I thought I would ask you about some troubling things I've run across. First, in the Seven Sermons to the Dead by C.G.Jung, within the preface it says that at one point his family/house were basically haunted as a result of his esoteric pursuits. Second, Samael Aun Weor. The white tantra, "thou shalt not orgasm" stuff. What do you make of these things?
I should add that despite these unsettling discoveries I am still fascinated by the Gnostics and the history of their extermination by state-sponsored Christians. Cheers

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Montalabix
The troubling things you mentioned aren't related to the Christian Telestai(Gnostics) who wrote the Nag Hammadi Library, that's your best bet.
1: They don't worship the megalomaniac "god" Yahweh, a good thing if you ask me.
2: They have more apostolic gospels that were hidden for a LONG time. They are as old as any canonical texts we have today.
3: They are disciples of Jesus but only worship the unknowable God. They revere Sophia(Wisdom) as a concept and deity, but not a goddess.

It's a healthy alternative to mainstream Christianity. I'll give you some books you can read online like Pistis Sophia or you can read the nag hammadi texts at bibliotecapleiades. Something.

Any specific questions?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: windword
Haah!!! Nice point.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Rasalghul

Do you believe any of the Bible is God inspired? How about the Book of Revelation?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Thank you for the reading suggestions. I have looked at some of the NHL but need to continue reading. I do have one specific question regarding the gnostic creation myth. If I understand correctly, the unknowable true God emanated Sophia, who in turn made a mistake by creating Yaldeboath, who is responsible for evil, imperfection, suffering, etc.
Regarding who is really responsible for the presence of evil, where does the buck stop in your opinion? Does achieving gnosis illuminate the meaning of this creation myth to the individual?
edit on 12-2-2016 by Montalabix because: grammar

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Montalabix
I think her only crime was leaving who I would call the Most High Gods presence and going out on her own. I can't recall exactly how Yaldaboath was created, but he was do far away that he THOUGHT he was God because he was alone, and I think they gave him creative powers and, well, you know the rest.

Gnosis is the state of knowing God exists where as other people just have faith. Gnosis is the polar opposite of agnostic I guess is what I would say.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I wouldn't equate it with illumination, Its more compiled Knowledge. Nothing magickal.
edit on 12-2-2016 by Rasalghul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It's a quest for perfection through knowledge. A quest that ends when you die. God is watching.
edit on 12-2-2016 by Rasalghul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Well if you believe Paul's words then,

Do you think women who talk in church should have their heads shaved?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Your sick why would you ask me that? Is that what christians do now?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join