It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do human beings have any inherent responsibilities?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I want to make the question as clear as possible:

Are human beings born with any responsibilities that they must fulfill?

I'm asking the question because I've never seen it discussed outside of a religious context. Bible believers would probably argue that human beings have the emboldened text below as inherent responsibilities (at least):

Genesis 1:28
King James Version (KJV)

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

My personal view on this is that human beings have no inherent responsibilities whatsoever. Sure, society and family put pressure on people to do certain things but those things are not inherently necessary for existing as a human being. There is the case of the death penalty but it's extremely rare and it's not imposed by nature, it's imposed by man.

IMHO, if human beings DO have inherent responsibilities that means we were all born into slavery by definition. It would be a slavery we could never escape from until death. I realize that many people see life that way. However, there is nothing in nature that forces any inherent responsibilities on human beings.

I'm happy to know that we aren't born into slavery and we aren't inherently slaves.
edit on 10-2-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Intrinsically? I would say no. As I don't perceive anything as having intrinsic meaning in and of itself to begin with. Ethically? That depends on your worldview and who you ask imo. I lean towards, "We contrive both meaning and the responsibilities associated therewith, for ourselves."

I choose to at least attempt to be a compassionate and helpful person where, when, and if I can, which varies based on a lot of factors, not least of which are my own mental and physical health at any given moment. Are those responsibilities intrinsic? No, imo they are not. I just choose to apply them to the - often disappointingly limited - extent I'm able to. But that's born of a sense of morality which may have absolutely no meaning beyond that with which I imbue it.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

There is the responsibility of health. One is responsible for his own well-being. One is responsible for sustaining himself.

If living is slavery, give up these responsibilities and escape your chains.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

There is the responsibility of health. One is responsible for his own well-being. One is responsible for sustaining himself.

If living is slavery, give up these responsibilities and escape your chains.

How can you claim "the responsibility of health" is inherent in existing as a human being?

1. That concept can't apply to young children who do not have the ability to conceptualize what "the responsibility of health" could mean. If we're going to say "the responsibility of health" is inherent, it must apply to all humans, must it not?

2. In order to believe that "the responsibility of health" is inherent in existing as a human being, you have to believe that human beings are required to try to live as long as they can. I believe that's false because there is nothing in nature that you could point to that would prove that you are right in that belief. It's simply an assumption on your part.
edit on 10-2-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
My personal view on this is that human beings have no inherent responsibilities whatsoever. Sure, society and family put pressure on people to do certain things but those things are not inherently necessary for existing as a human being.

I absolutely agree.

"Inherent responsibilities" are a social construct only, and they differ from culture to culture around the world, and is a subjective view from individual to individual.

There is no sign of a universal Human Responsibility.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

How can you claim "the responsibility of health" is inherent in existing as a human being?

Because anything else would be irresponsible.

Luckily for a helpless child, we are also responsible for caring for our children. This is a universal and natural instinct, found throughout every culture. It's inherent. It's inborn.

A mother's breast swells with milk because she is responsible for providing the child with sustenance. Often, it is the responsibility of the male to provide protection and resources during this time. This occurs throughout many species.

I think it is you who is assuming we don't have any inherent responsibilities.
edit on 10-2-2016 by TheTory because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I think many of us have made a mess of this planet. In a way I feel responsible for at least trying to reverse what some have done. Maybe our responsiblities are just to atone for the mistakes we have made?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

Because anything else would be irresponsible.

Luckily for a helpless child, we are also responsible for caring for our children. This is a universal and natural instinct, found throughout every culture. It's inherent. It's inborn.

I think it is you who is assuming we don't have any inherent responsibilities.

"Irresponsible" is a subjective judgment. The people who live by the motto "Live fast and die young" could have the most responsible philosophy.

The "Live fast and die young" crowd would say that it's better to cram a lot of exciting activity into a shorter life than to have a prolonged, relatively boring existence. Can you actually prove that the latter is better than the former? You're (obviously to me) presupposing that's the case in this argument, but, can you prove you're right?

Regardless of that, you've already proven that your position is untenable. This is the problem:

You claim "the responsibility of health" is inherent in existing as a human being. However, you agree that it doesn't apply to "a helpless child." Therefore, you agree that it doesn't apply to all human beings which means that you don't believe it's inherent in existing as a human being.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I want to make the question as clear as possible:

Are human beings born with any responsibilities that they must fulfill?

I'm asking the question because I've never seen it discussed outside of a religious context. Bible believers would probably argue that human beings have the emboldened text below as inherent responsibilities (at least):

Genesis 1:28
King James Version (KJV)

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

My personal view on this is that human beings have no inherent responsibilities whatsoever. Sure, society and family put pressure on people to do certain things but those things are not inherently necessary for existing as a human being. There is the case of the death penalty but that's extremely rare and it's not imposed by nature, it's imposed by man.

IMHO, if human beings DO have inherent responsibilities that means we were all born into slavery by definition. It would be a slavery we could never escape from until death. I realize that many people see life that way. However, there is nothing in nature that forces any inherent responsibilities on human beings.

I'm happy to know that we aren't born into slavery and we aren't inherently slaves.

Most people are not multiplying or multiplying enough producing healthy fruits. 2 to 3 born per women in their lifetime if none at all, in those births millions born sick or disabled. Most people have had their rights to have dominion over animals taken away by other people by letting them remove their land ownership by getting them to believe they have no right to land on earth with attaching animals and land to money. They let other people remove those rights because they don't want to hurt or kill them or be imprisoned for their God given right. Another reason they let them is because money can only be acquired through being the creators of money, passing it down/gifting, working for it with hard work being relative, luck or stealing it.

Because all has been so grossly perverted, our new responsibility has been to love one another which would have brought everyone back to eden on earth, instead of cutting up eden into a thousand or so other places around the world only available to those who have high earnings with their involvement in the money cult.

Our even newer responsibility is spirit based where every inch of one's existence is to be focused on praying to God for justice with a TOTAL change of the system in place with putting in place enforcers who are nonsexual benevolent ET's with no lust and far superior to human beings in intelligence and compassion, who would act as custodial parents to the entire immature human race and other existing hybrid/human players if any.
edit on 10-2-2016 by WhiteWingedMonolith because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boomy327
I think many of us have made a mess of this planet. In a way I feel responsible for at least trying to reverse what some have done. Maybe our responsiblities are just to atone for the mistakes we have made?

That wouldn't be an inherent responsibility. You're assuming that every human being on earth has made mistakes that need to be atoned for. In my mind, children who die before they reach of the age of full awareness of what they're doing couldn't be held to that standard. Therefore, we couldn't say that the need to atone for mistakes is inherently part of existing as a human being.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
No, I see humans as animals and like all other life forms in their nature is to multiply and survive. The cynic in me will say consume. But animals need to eat to survive. I just wish people wouldn't consume beyond their own means.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Good question

I don't think I would call it responsibility
Maybe more like cause and effect

You do.. So your "responsibility" is to "do"

Unless you live naked in a forest completely alone .. even then I don't know if there is any piece of land that doesn't belong to someone so "they" have the responsibility to effect you ? You have to obey?

As soon as you have something man made someone was responsible for making it

Individually it's not obvious at all
Collectively it used to be reproduce at least

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Many of our human concepts stem from biology, like empathy that leads to morals, or our instinct of survival that leads us to respect the life of another being. If we did not have in us that instinct of survival, we wouldn't be able to recognize it in another being, a dog for example. Which leads me to conclude that it's because we feel we have a responsibility towards ourselves, that we feel we have responsibility towards others, because we recognise we have something in common and in a way we are the same.

Now, do we have a responsibility towards Venus, or a entire very distant galaxy ? Would it be ok to destroy it ? Many would say no, they would say that it's exactly because we have the capacity to care that we should care. If we don't do it, who's going to care ? We are not isolated in the universe, everything is connected and the concept that says that our skin is the limit of our body is an arbitrary concept based on arbitrary criteria. Do we have a responsibility towards preserving uniqueness ? I believe we do.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   

That wouldn't be an inherent responsibility. You're assuming that every human being on earth has made mistakes that need to be atoned for. In my mind, children who die before they reach of the age of full awareness of what they're doing couldn't be held to that standard. Therefore, we couldn't say that the need to atone for mistakes is inherently part of existing as a human being.

Father, forgive them, they know not what they do, who become adults who not know what they do, who have children who not know what they do. Rinse. Repeat.

Atoning for the mistakes of others cannot be achieved in the here and now by any person for it was achieved one time by the son of man-God long ago who sits at the right hand of God who acts as mediator and atones for the sins of the genuinely repentant who truly desire their hearts of stone to be replaced with compassionate ones. His name is Christ Jesus with other variations to the name before or after the Christ; excluding the anti.

A responsibility seen by many is to bring those to Christ Jesus, as many as they can. The line of thinking with belief is if ALL the people really experienced the aformentioned in the paragraph above, we could have all had the quality of life meant for us found in the garden of eden. But, too many see the antichrist in some variation, including rejection of the premises due to being it is what it is with that being opposition. That in itself could be seen as their responsibility to bring the divide in order to bring order from the highest order of ET's as ordered by God Himself, to act as custodial parents to the immature, selfish, ignorant and cruel human race, (where 'and' or 'or's' can be inserted between those,) who enslave each other and make up stories that God enslaves, which are lies as shown in the Bible in the Book Of Genisis whereto is referrenced in the OP proving free range and not enslavement of humankind but no free range for all animals as people have dominion over them, and in the testimony of Christ Jesus found in the New Testament with saying one love their neighbor as themselves and God, as the ONLY comandments to be applied by human beings from that day forward, which that was thousands of years ago, the only 2 rules left for any person to have to ever follow again.

A great responsibility to get the word out that only 2 laws are really in existence. A duty seen by many. The expression of that duty in many variations. Presented just right but also In frustration and in fear as noted by presenters and those who protest the presentation.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Initially on Day 6 of the bible we were free. However after the Annunaki arrived they played with human DNA producing a slave race born into debt.

In the film The Matrix, Morpheus (Iblis - Bible) says to Neo (Adam - Bible) 'you are a slave Neo'.

Only after consuming the Red Pill (red Apple of Knowledge) did the slaves wake up to the truth.

Then humans naturally rebelled, and Yahweh (the Architect in The Matrix) drowned all the rebels with the Great Flood.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

this seems to be the overwhelming direction the OT takes us...

Let me rephrase...

And god cursed them, and god said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and destroy the earth, subdue it: and have dominion over it and the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Which is exactly what we've done... even before such things were written...

This is what should have been...

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and be one with it, and it with you: and have peace among you and the fish of the sea, and the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

People are responsible for their actions. They get the benefit of good actions and have to suffer the consequences of bad actions.

In general, a person who takes care of himself is helping society to the maximum by not being a burden.

Anyway who could possibly know what the responsibilities are?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Why should we have to atone for the evils of others?

I didn't do it, and I won't share the blame.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   
We're born into slavery/way of thinking by other humans. School is just another tool to programme you into the typical 9/5 routine with only 2 days of freedom. However I don't believe we have any 'inherent responsibilities'. If we did, then it would probably be the care of this planet like a gardener.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
A question that might be worth spending most of our lives trying to figure out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join