It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Aliens and UFO's considered "Paranormal"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I never understood this.

Paranormal, at least to my understanding, is an event that lies outside of the realm of naturally occurring phenomena; something that Science cannot explain (because science deals within nature only).

So why do some people consider Aliens and UFO's Paranormal? If they exist (which I personally think they do, for various reasons), then they exist naturally. Sure, science may not currently be able to explain what a UFO is (at least, that the public is aware of), but the the phenomenon is evidently there, just not understood.

To me, Aliens and UFO's exist within the natural realm, so I personally wouldn't consider them Paranormal.

What's your view on them?

(post by mudametal removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I don't view them as paranormal.

They kind of fall into the strange mystery category in my opinion.
Although I have read in places that sometimes there seems to be a psychic connection,
but that could be just advanced technology, or telepathy, which does fall into the realm of paranormal.

Their form of communication,
if they truly do communicate with some people, could very well seem paranormal to us.

But the idea itself does not IMO seem paranormal.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

The title conflicts with your OP, which I was immediately turned off by after reading. It omits the word 'some', even though you've included it in your line of reasoning. In my opinion, aliens and U.F.O.s are not considered paranormal unless someone is describing them in the most literal sense. The word "paranormal" could be used as an adjective to describe the experience, but less helpful in describing the U.F.O. in question.

edit on 8-2-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The lines get blurred when you consider that aliens may not be quite what we see. Any type of entity capable of inter dimensional movement would have no problem fooling a bunch of talking monkeys into seeing nuts and bolts crafts.

missiongalacticfreedom.wordpress.com...
edit on 8-2-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Aliens and UFOs are "paranormal" because if we actually understood what they were, they would be completely normal. Just like ESP and ghosts and Trump.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Even today are aliens and UFOs consider "normal" or outside of that range of conventional concepts?

Back in 1947 such ideas were incredibly ludicrous...wait...even today government and science claims that even as they search the skies for evidence to the contrary. What is WRONG with this picture?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I think Wiki explains it quite good:

Paranormal events are phenomena described in popular culture, folklore and other non-scientific bodies of knowledge, whose existence within these contexts is described to lie beyond normal experience or scientific explanation.

It surely is not a normal experience to experience a UFO (no, it is not!), and often what characterize these experience are that they defy explanation.

To me it seems that there for some time has been a push for many supernatural phenomena (phenomena not subject to the laws of nature) to be considered paranormal. This has lead, I believe, to the paranormal to almost equated to the supernatural .. which in turn has left the paranormal 'homeless'.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
To me, Aliens and UFO's exist within the natural realm, so I personally wouldn't consider them Paranormal.

What's your view on them?
Aliens and UFOs are often associated as in this forum, but so far I've seen nothing to convince me of a relationship between the two, so let's discuss them separately.

Aliens almost certainly exist and are not paranormal, there may be some living in the wet soils of Mars right now, or in other solar systems further away, some possibly intelligent through the Fermi paradox suggests there doesn't seem to be an abundance of intelligent aliens.

I saw my first UFO in 2015, at least it was a UFO for a few minutes until I could tell it was a plane, before that it looked far too bright to be a plane and I still don't know how it managed to reflect that much sunlight at me from such a great distance. But it convinced me that anybody can have trouble identifying something in the sky. Nothing really paranormal about that, it was just a manmade object and I was victim to the great distance of the object and some confusing signals my brain couldn't interpret properly, at least not at first.

I'd say where it gets into paranormal territory is like many other paranormal phenomena, there seems to be a human factors/psychology aspect. For some examples of those, read these two cases which were of somewhat ordinary events but had extraordinary interpretations buy some witnesses, the Kiev mothership, and the Yukon mothership:

www.jamesoberg.com...
badufos.blogspot.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Aliens and UFOs are "paranormal" because if we actually understood what they were, they would be completely normal. Just like ESP and ghosts and Trump.

And in that post lies the answer to all things paranormal .

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

We know the brain/mind complex has psy-like abilities. If you haven't experienced for yourself, you should. The governments and military complexes I'm sure, are aware of its potentials.

Picking something up just to put it down and no longer recognizing it for its nature or properties.. it's ignorance.
To know something is to experience it. To wield it, become apart of that 'thing' your mind wonders about.

Many of our kin know the nature of what we call "ghosts". There are shamanic peoples, monks, priests, priestesses... I could make a lengthy list of spiritual disciplines, for the sake of the lovely people here, I won't.
But surely, we know what "ghosts" are, just not popular in mainstream thought acceptance. ..

However, I wanted to point out ignorance as I seen it

Oh.. Trump. Of course, that is a creature I know not of...

Carry on

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 8-2-2016 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I look at it this way. If I see something up in the sky that appears and/or moves in a way that I can't explain, that's not normal. For me, that would classify it as paranormal.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Even today are aliens and UFOs consider "normal" or outside of that range of conventional concepts?

Back in 1947 such ideas were incredibly ludicrous...wait...even today government and science claims that even as they search the skies for evidence to the contrary. What is WRONG with this picture?

The idea of alien life elsewhere has never really been "ludicrous". The possibility that there may be other intelligent life in the universe has been part mainstream science for a long time.

Aliens visiting earth, on the other hand, has been considered outside the norm because there should be good hard evidence to support that idea, but the very little hard evidence that there is doesn't provide enough support.

edit on 2/8/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

The laws of physics explain everything.

However we don't understand or know how to apply all of them.

And of course, self-delusion is rampant.

Mix to taste.

Kev

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Jacques Vallee (astronomer/physicist) began to investigate high strangeness encounters in the late 40s and wrote a number of books until recently. In dealing with high strangeness encounters he interpreted them as somewhat illusionary, magical - hence "paranormal in effect ", and thus likely inter-dimensional.

There are many writers and self acclaimed investigators who have kept the mythos evolving just to make a name for themselves. Listen to the many podcasts and live shows that host mediums, channelers - an old paranormal theme carried over from the early 20th century fortune tellers (charlatans).

We really can't conceive of what a very advanced technology is capable of or what it can allow physical entities to do. The fantastic nature of such a tech may open up the universe like a window into other worlds.

Without doubt, the universe is a very big place, and there are beings who have found ways of applying the laws and forces of nature to their desires.

edit on 9-2-2016 by Gianfar because: [typos]

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
They ain't!! Its more bull! And yes they exist!
Paranormal is a state or manifestation of the mind and has f all to do with reality in my view.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Not understood means not normal? Isn't there a lot of things that are perfectly normal we don't understand?
If anything the supernatural tag works better. Above natural in so that we don't, at least publicly, understand where they come from and who they are.
And what does Trump have to do with any of this? Why can some people not resist throwing politics into a thread that has nothing to do with it?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Many people even scientists say contact will be made through the mind. Google Filipov Lachezar, interesting guy and story. Point is, telepathy is paranormal.
And there are those who claim to be able to make UFOs show up through meditation. Paranormal. It never worked for me, i saw mine entirely unprepaired. But who knows?

Aliens on the other hand are, uhm, well all we got is abduction stories mostly through hypnosis. So i dare say it very likely leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join