It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayhem in Hong Kong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There's currently protests turning into violence going off in Hong Kong right now, not sure what it's all about, one of the streamers says it started with police beating up people selling food on the street and the umbrella movement, but the protesters were going mental on the police, throwing bricks, starting fires, chasing the police down like animals beating the crap out of them. The police were so overwhelmed, even though in riot gear, they had to pretty much flee for their lives.

It's quietened down at the moment but it seems the protesters are gathering more bricks and regrouping in order to riot again with the police forces

There's a live stream here

Gunshots fired as violence flares between Hong Kong police and protestors defending Mong Kok hawkers on first day of Chinese New Year

Police were seen pointing guns at protestors and firing shots into the air amid chaotic scenes in Mong Kok early Tuesday morning. A TVB video showed the moment police drew guns on protesters and fired two warning shots into the air on Argyle Street around 2am. An SCMP reporter on the scene also witnessed and heard two shots fired from a gun. A police source said: “Officers were under attack and a police officer fired two shots into the air.” The officer described the protesters as “rioters” and trouble makers.

edit on 8/2/16 by Discotech because: added news link

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech
I doubt the mainland will stand for this.
They definitely don't want the word of this getting back to the population on the mainland.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Anyone know what a Mong Kok hawker is?

Mong Kok is the area, what's a hawker?

Gunshots fired as violence flares between Hong Kong police and protestors defending Mong Kok hawkers on first day of Chinese New Year

www.scmp.com...
edit on 8-2-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yep they won't want word of democratic movements over powering police forces to get back to mainland China, I'm wondering how long it will be before the military gets mobilised to quell this uprising

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
Mong Kok Hawkers

I see you found the same link I found

Seems it's the name given for the street food sellers

Guess it's a term as in "hawking their wares" or in this case food
edit on 8/2/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

edit on 8-2-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

There's currently protests turning into violence going off in Hong Kong right now, not sure what it's all about, one of the streamers says it started with police beating up people selling food on the street and the umbrella movement, but the protesters were going mental on the police, throwing bricks, starting fires, chasing the police down like animals beating the crap out of them. The police were so overwhelmed, even though in riot gear, they had to pretty much flee for their lives.

It's quietened down at the moment but it seems the protesters are gathering more bricks and regrouping in order to riot again with the police forces

The very first thing that came to mind was Tiananmen Square. If these protesters don't calm down. It's not going to end well for them.

-dex

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Huh, haven't heard anything about it yet.

I find the violence stated to be pretty overblown, tho.

Wow, lol looks like they ripped up a little bit of mong kok.

I'm watching some live news now. 44 hurt and 24 arrested. 1 cop in a coma.

The thing with news here is that they just report the basics. there is no opinion yet that we heard on what it was about.

I was confined to 2 streets. I did see 3 guys in camo.

Unusual for HK to have something like this. given where it was, I don't suspect it was political.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Ok, finally got a little scoop.
It started with the hawkers that were blocking the streets and then a group called, "HK indigenous group"
jumped in and escalated it.

People in HK are mad about Beijing's influence and like anyplace else, the cops are hated for what policymakers do.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

a Hawker would be a street salesman, someone who maybe has a booth or a corner space from which to call out to passers by trying to sell whatever it is they have to sell.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The article said the police were called, presumably by a business owner that was having trouble with the "hawkers".
Found this picture but can't read Chinese, looks like a sign for Cannonball house or something on the second story?

Those sneakers they are wearing look like the old style PF flyers.

This would be easy to dismiss as just a local Triad demonstration but the economy in Asia has been in melt down recently....
edit on 8-2-2016 by Slichter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I was thinking the same also

However once morning came and more police arrived the protesters slowly dispersed into the morning business pedestrian traffic.

To be honest the police handled it extremely well once they regrouped and were reinforced, I was expecting a lot of unreasonable force from the police but they showed a lot of restraint with these protesters considering what the protesters had done

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
No selling of fish balls by street vendors during the celebration of the lunar new year. A version of no pay, no play situation it seems.

A government crackdown on illegal street food vendors turned violent in Hong Kong in the early hours of Tuesday morning, as riot police clashed with protesters in the shopping district of Mong Kok.

The disorder erupted following government officials' attempts to evict street vendors who were selling fishballs and other local delicacies during the Lunar New Year holiday.

edit on 2/9/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

VanGcouverite

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:45 PM a reply to: bandersnatch

Anyone who studies policies and tactics of CIA and other US government agencies can smell the coffee here.

US has done the angry food vendor revolution investments before.

Not saying i know for sure that's going on here.

But if Chinese suspect foreign play, tanks will roll, people will be crushed and US backers will run out filled with broken promises to revolutionaries.

They've done that 8-9 times in the last 40 years.

Things don't work out, oh well run and play dumb..

top topics

join