It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what classes do you take?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Here we are folks... The unemployment number is lower, and the total labor force continues to decline... And more kids continue to graduate college with degrees they can't use only to end up with the same warehouse job everyone else is trying to get! Or stuck in the revolving door of a staffing agency.

Apparently IT is out.... The trade unions are out unless your uncle is in...

So what's left?

What is a degree that's actually worth getting?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Here we are folks... The unemployment number is lower, and the total labor force continues to decline... And more kids continue to graduate college with degrees they can't use only to end up with the same warehouse job everyone else is trying to get! Or stuck in the revolving door of a staffing agency.

Apparently IT is out.... The trade unions are out unless your uncle is in...

So what's left?

I did electrical engineering. I hated my life and people. I'm back in school for Veterinary Technology. My program also offers pre vet to actually make money. I've already got all the science grades for that and have no interest. I like animals, everybody's got pets and I don't give a # about money anymore(obviously).You can't do anything outside voting and even that seems worthless
edit on 8-2-2016 by EightTF3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: EightTF3

Money isn't my biggest concern but is in the top 3.
edit on 2/8/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
With robots, A.I., drones, advanced 3D printers, virtual and augmented realities coming very soon there will be no jobs left I think. In 10 -15 years from now the world will be very different.

I should add that I'm in a similar position, trying to find what to do next in my life. I'm a printing press operator and book binder by trade. I thought there would always be books hey....

edit on 1America/Chicago08Mon, 08 Feb 2016 05:08:25 -060008500000016 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy
just hang on to our seats because it's going to get crazy huh?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
There's not many jobs that are totally recession proof but a few that will always be useful would be plumbers, electricians, doctors etc.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Let's just call it what it is... The greatest depression.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

you don't need a degree. Complete waste of money. Here's my suggestion. The degree is WORTHLESS. Not worth the paper it's printed on let alone the 50 to 100k you'll spend on it.

but you want the college experience. So what you do is you get a backpack and you go hang out at the college or university. Socialize a bit. See if you can use the gym. Hang out in the library and read a few books. Go to some college parties etc etc.

So then say a month later, you'll have now gotten the "college experience". There. And you saved yourself 50,000 .

NEED A DEGREE:
Now what you do is you enrole in some free university such as Helsinki university. Get a free degree.

Or: IF YOU DON'T CARE SO MUCH ABOUT THE DEGREE:
Skip it, start a business and make some real money. Just start an app, or a website, or whatever, and before long you'll be laughing.

Why people opt to do this whole traditional approach to make their parents proud is so stupid. Such a waste of time and money. It's a big scam. Look up "college scam" on youtube. See what "college people" are saying about what a waste of there time and money it is. Or watch this video below.

Degree's are so useless in the real world. I have tons of education. Tons. And after doing it all I realize what a monumental waste of time and money it all was. Like I wasted about 21 years of my life in re-education camps run by nazi's. You can learn anything now a days in a couple dozen hours watching youtube, and reading a few good books on the topic. Degrees have nothing to do with learning. ZERO. They have to do with bolstering the ego to make you think you're now somebody because you went to college and got a degree. Biggest scam ever played on young people by tptb to put them into a huge life long debt cycle and turn them into a slave. meanwhile had they only known all that info they want to learn so desperately is FREE everywhere!! online, library, etc etc. Its' all free. Just go learn it. Ya you won't get a job that way. So what. If you need the degree go to a free university. There's tons of them out there. University of Helsinki is one. Dozens of others.

But to answer your question, I'd just go into business for myself in something. Especially like web development or something. App development. And just learn it all free online on youtube. Then put it to use and make your fortune.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

STEM - always relevant

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Something in the Medical Field. There will always be a need for Doctors, Nurses, Radiologists,......../
I know for a fact that many hospitals are under staffed, because there are not enough graduating from RN classes. My Ex is a 20+ year RN and makes over $30 an hour.
And that's at a fairly small hospital.
edit on 8-2-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
sustainable living, gardening, farming. If i'm not mistaken it's (one of) the oldest jobs in the world.
So i guess you're pretty well covered with those.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   
STEM for sure. I've had my own technology company for going on 16yrs. I don't have a college degree, like alot of hackers. I enrolled in college last semester and I'm getting a medical degree.

Our buisnesss is booming, but I'm ready for a change
I'm with Lava, a degree or several are not required these days. Find something you love to do, and figure out how you can make a living doing it

edit on 8-2-2016 by ReadLeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I already did what I love to do so I'm trying to figure out what to love to do next.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Lol. That's like me... I'm going to college to "see what they know".....

Actually made the El Presidente's honor roll last sem. Actually my degree is going to earn me a really good retirement job

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I need to make money but my priorities are... Learn a skill that I can use to run my own business, thats the main point really.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

The problem is actually getting into a program. If you are white, don't have a 4.0, or aren't from another country then you need not apply.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

It seems like colleges and universities are pricing themselves right out of the education market. Students today have to weigh the outrageous cost of college tuition with the reality of career salary expectations. These are the only degrees I think would offset being strapped with a huge student loan.

-Professional Athlete (Providing your skills are outstanding and professional scouts have your number)
-Doctor
-Lawyer
-Aeronautical or Aerospace Engineer
-Computer Engineer
-Chemical Engineer
-Physical Therapist
-Pharmacist

These are just some careers I'm aware of that pay well above the $100,000 dollar mark and I'm sure there are more I haven't listed.

If a career is only going to be in the $40,000 or $60,000 salary range, I would definitely look into a technical skill which requires less schooling, much more hands-on training, and the tuition is much lower. I've worked with computer technicians and IT personal who either have technical or college degrees. In my experience working as a CAD instructor, the Technical degreed personal had much more computer knowledge and hands-on experience than the college educated people.

I myself have both a college degree and a technical degree. My technical degree has opened more doors for me than my college degree. I have to say I learned much more from my technical degree too. I know a lot of Technical people that ventured into their own business and are pulling in well over a 100,000 dollars a year. When your really good at your technical skill, the skies the limit.

Considering college students could end up having 100,000 dollar in student loans, taking out a business loan and starting your own business may give you a much better return on your investment.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Im all of the above and doing just fine, what is your real point?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Can you explain technical degree for me please?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

It's a degree acquired from a technical school and is specialized in the technical training you receive. It's equivalent to an associates degree. What's nice about technical schools, if you graduate near the top of the class, they can usually place you into an entry level position before you graduate. If the technical school has a great reputation, businesses who need good hands-on technical personnel will quickly hire you.

I graduated at the top of my Mechanical Computer-Aided drafting class. I and about 6 other top students had job offers 2 months before we graduated. I had a degree in Graphic Arts Management from Ball State University, and a Mechanical CAD Technical Degree from Triangle Tech. I also had a 6 month certification in machine set-up and operation from a local skill center.

A local high school needed a vocational CAD instructor. My technical degree got me the interview. I got the job after I blew them away with all my technical drawings and experience in the field. I taught while I earned my vocational teaching certificate.

edit on 8-2-2016 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join