It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your hobbies?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I do a bit of music production on my laptop, but been unable to do it for a few years, would be nice to get back into. I like watching birds too. I have a lot of feeders around the garden and do the rspb bird watch every year. I'm good at identifying garden birds, but can't spot them by their songs, so not a proper twitcher

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I love to cook. Im told i am a pheomenal cook....i just know my foods better than most others.

I like doing photoshop art. spend quite a bit of time doing that.

i love reading. voraciously. if i have nothign to read, i start googling. wikipedia will cross reference you into next month, and you can search out other terms in google.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Like TrueBrit, I've been doing less of the things I used to. But I do love
reading, researching,
drawing/painting
exercising
exploring trails outside
spending time with animals
and learning how things work (with my hands)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I don't normally have a lot of free time but when I do I tend to spend it on lockpicking, safecracking and just practicing my locksmith skills for when I'm too broken down to do construction any longer (which probably isn't too far away). Spinning safe dials is truly a zen meditation period for me as you tend to get into the zone and lose track of time, the lockpicking can be like that also but it can also be frustrating. The locksmithing is satisfying as you can bring old locks back to life which is always rewarding. Of course they have a downside which is expensive and that of course is lock collecting. To see what I mean browse ebay for locks and note the prices of some.

edit on 2/8/2016 by Kukri because: changed my mind

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have two hobbies at the moment:

RC Cars. I competitively race 1/10th and 1/8th scale electric off road RC cars.

Motorcycling. I love getting out and just riding no where in particular.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
*Weight lifting
*Video games (escaping reality is the greatest thing ever)
*Movies (especially horror, gore, dark stuff, fantasy and superhero)
*Reading (comics, though i prefer a complete story in graphic novel form, paranormal stuff, dark stuff, mostly anything out there and not mundane)
*Listening to music (again I drift away ... )
*Making music (occasionally)
*Pondering

Basically, nothing exciting, but just what I need, I pretty much live in my head, it's nice in here!
Other things too, but I haven't done in a while, so can't justify .... they may return.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
*Writing. (Poetry, short stories. Nothing major.)
*Singing.
*Reading. (Primarily Manga, also novels if I feel like it.)
*Playing Instruments. (Piano, ocasionally Ocarina, interested in Violin.)
*Drawing. (Haven't done it so much recently, need to get back into it.
*Image Manipulation. (Follow the link in my signature. Things like my avatar.)
*Board Games. (Chess, DnD, W40K. I haven't played some of these in a very long time, though I still enjoy them.)
*Video Games. (Generally multiplayer ones, or singleplayer, story-focused experiences. I like RPGs.)
*Watching YouTube videos to do with games or politics.
*Listening to the sound of rain.
*This one's a bit weird, but going for walks in pitch-black darkness. Once you get over the fear of the unknown, there is something oddly calming about it. You do not observe. You are not observed.

It is simple to say, I have many creative pursuits, as well as more simple, every-day hobbies. I would like to experience animation and AMV creation, as well as music remixing one day as well. I simply lack the time, and the resources to do so at this point.

edit on 8/2/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
- Collecting and listening to vintage audio equipment.

- Listening to music

- Basketball, Soccer, and Ultimate Frisbee

- Watching movies

- Home theatre

- Hiking

- Darts

- Craft beer

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Hobbies...hmmm
Beer

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Don't forget ritual sacrifice, collecting lotion, and tending to the captive in your dungeon.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I think those qualify as more of a profession than a hobby.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I'm one of those people who has 6000 different interests and am forever digging around to learn new and interesting things/skills.

- reading
- crossword puzzles
- darts
- snooker
- candle making
- jewelry making and metallurgy
- native leatherwork and beading (mocassins, medicine pouches, etc)
- making jams/jellies, pickles, and other various preserves
- pulling out the telescope on a clear moonless night and gazing at deep space
- vegging out on video games saving the world from evil demons/raiders/pirates

In previous years I did a lot of:

- camping
- fishing
- hunting
- snowmobiling
- quadding
- dirt bike riding
- motorcycle riding
- whittling and carving wood figurines/spoons/bowls/etc
- going to every live outdoor music concert known to mankind
- dressing up and going to renaissance festivals

Yeah... I'm a total geek/nerd.

edit on 9-2-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Sounds like a great plan, and I love animals, but I live with my mother. If it was up to me, I would have a cat or dog (and I must say, that I really love cats, and I wish I could have one) but mother is allergic to the hair. Since I am utterly without funds to secure myself independent dwelling space, I shall have to wait to get a little creature friend, until I live alone.

Could be a long time.

Have you ever considered volunteering? In the States you can sign up with local shelters to walk dogs. There are a ton of volunteer opportunities with the local shelters, some less pleasant than others. I know someone who works at one and they have cat volunteers that basically just sit in a room and play with the cats/introduce them to prospective adopters!

I've become more fond of cats lately. My lady friend that works with them had to bring one home for a few nights and though I was miserable (super allergic, though it seems to be on a cat by cat basis) really fell for her. I'm sitting there on the bed sneezing like crazy, eyes watering and loopy from Benadryl petting this freaking cat. Had to stay up all night bottle feeding a kitten every few hours (we were supposed to pull shifts but I function better on no sleep) and wiping his bottom to simulate the mother's licking to get him to poo/pee. Fell in love with that little guy. Broke my heart when he died.

Don't date a vet, you will have just terrible conversations at dinner. Luckily I'm not squeamish. I think the worst conversation I've been through at a restaurant was about a kitten that had to get a "sex change". Not for the faint of genital.

At any rate, I bet you can find a place to volunteer and hang out with some furry friends.

Ever thought about starting a dog walking business? You can make bank. I would think in the UK where backyards aren't a thing it would be even more lucrative. Walk 5 dogs a day for an hour, charge $30 or whatever funny money you all use, that's not bad pay to get a workout. That's not bad pay if you're only walking one at a time. Have two dogs? Charge $45 for one owner. Charge the regular amount for dogs that live close. Take a few pictures of the dogs having fun and send it to the owners, get referrals. Get the word out, talk to local vets and get them to give you a reference for a reference, get a card on the front desk, be the guy that's super reliable and the vet teaches you to give the dogs a cursory glance, so you're not just a guy walking the dog, you're taking two minutes to make sure they're OK. People spend an insane amount of money on their dogs. If I didn't have time to walk my dog I'd happily pay someone twice a week $30 to walk him.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Between running my business, and actually getting some time afterward to come to a halt and relax, I would make for a bad dog walker at this point. There are demands on my time that require my full attention during the day, and my ability to be free to relax at night.

That being said a friend of mine has moved in a couple of miles from my place, and last night I walked to their place in the driving rain and howling wind. That got the bloody cobwebs out a bit, let me tell you!

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
When I`m not here, I cook or draw something. I have recently started making lapel pins. It`s so involving... I just create designs for my lapel pins and pass them to pinsource.com company that create my lapel pins for me. Love my hobby!
edit on 26-2-2016 by olbond because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I like catching flies with a vacuum cleaner.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I recently took up running again. Well almost a year ago actually, wow. Don't run religiously, but I try to get a jog when I get too antsy or I've got a lot going on.

I used to draw, and I thought I was pretty good too, but haven't touched a paper in years. I have found a love for basswood though. I am currently in the process of making a fountain that has a windmill, water tower, water-wheel, and sluice boxes (to move the water around). The idea is to have the waterwheel turn the windmill to simulate it pumping water into the water tower, where I've constructed a valve of sorts to adjust flow of water out of the tower and into the sluice boxes.

If I had the time and energy, I would love to do a setup similar to what model trains enthusiasts do. And I probably will at some point. The fountain is a "dippin the toes in the water" type of experiment, and it's been fun so far.

I like working with basswood. A little denser than balsa wood, I usually use a little miter box and saw, to cut pieces at various angles if necessary. Tedious work, but I guess I'm tapping into that youthful child who enjoyed building things.

I used to spend a lot of time out in the public lands of the West. I miss that, and I think I'm going to attempt to do more of that this summer. I miss rockhounding. And I also have a feeling I could use some cool rocks in my fountain as well.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join