It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What doesn't kill you... doesn't make you stronger.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
a reply to: AceWombat04

And what I'm saying is that "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is a personal revelation of inner strength. It is a personal acceptance of yourself and an acknowledgement of what YOU have been through in your life, but the ability to move past what was done to you and live in spite of it. It is an internal revelation, acknowledgement, and decision.

What others think plays no part in it unless you allow them to....

The belief system you have had to invent to accept these things, and move past it do actually nothing to remedy anything.

Therefore, the analogy that it makes you stronger is irrelevant, and likely untrue.

It is beyond amazing how many damaged pathways one has to create before they make peace with the situations, now you have a totally DIFFERENT creature, however NOT STRONGER.

And certainly the same garbage will carry on, forever, because of the ability and full blown belief that all of this is "normal" and a valid pathway of some sort.

I am not sure if you are capable of going back and revisiting just how INSIDE you got to this point, few are, but if you did you would soon realize if you went DEEP ENOUGH, that absolutely NO ACCEPTANCE is NEEDED, of ANYTHING, to get to a better place, this is yet another teaching founded in religion.

We need some horsepower to focus on ridding the defeated mindset that revels in "surviving" and "maintaining oneself" as if lessons in pain and agony actually bring anything to a higher level.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Your comments are completely incoherent, except in your own mind.

I didn't create "damaged pathways to make peace with my experiences." I simply chose to not stay a victim by allowing circumstances beyond my control to steal the rest of my life. I learned how to come to PEACE with what happened.

We don't live in a higher consciousness of Zen. People have feelings, egos, and a normalized psychology which means they must either learn how to process these things in a healthy manner or be consumed by them. For some people, that means focusing on the lessons learned, higher purpose, silver linings, or even just recognizing what you DON'T want to be. Either way, people who live through a trauma should take time to recognize their survival (without judgement) as it can be helpful to healing.

ETA - or are you insinuating that I am not being truthful or true to my own traumatic history?
edit on 11-2-2016 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

I didn't create "damaged pathways to make peace with my experiences." I simply chose to not stay a victim by allowing circumstances beyond my control to steal the rest of my life. I learned how to come to PEACE with what happened.

We don't live in a higher consciousness of Zen. People have feelings, egos, and a normalized psychology which means they must either learn how to process these things in a healthy manner or be consumed by them. For some people, that means focusing on the lessons learned, higher purpose, silver linings, or even just recognizing what you DON'T want to be. Either way, people who live through a trauma should take time to recognize their survival (without judgement) as it can be helpful to healing.

ETA - or are you insinuating that I am not being truthful or true to my own traumatic history?

Your mind tries to justify whatever you went through, but what ParasuvO says there DOES MAKE SENSE.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: yosako

I'm going to second yosako's astute observations here. ParasuvO does make sense.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: yosako

Your mind tries to justify whatever you went through, but what ParasuvO says there DOES MAKE SENSE.

Justify? Not at all.... I absolutely disagree. Make sense? Absolutely....

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This conversation is silly. Generally what does not kill will leave you crippled, in both a very literal sense and both a physical and mental sense. There are exceptions to the rule, but thats like winning the lottery, its not likely to happen. And in general if you somehow overcame something and it made you stronger...Well then it was likely not something which was to life shattering or overcompensating for you to handle...Hence it was not there to kill you or your situation was not as dire as you made it out to be. Hence the saying does not really apply.

Most of it what it is merely just justifying situations and life experiences. But even in that its just a matter of it depends. For instance I knew a guy who got shot. He lived through it. Did it make him stronger? No it made him a paraplegic. But he is still alive and kicking...Sort off, its a saying, not physically kicking is what I am saying. Or another, due to circumstances ended up homeless and on the streets, and eventually back off the streets...Did it make him stronger? Not really, but ate a big chunk of his time and life up, he may have learned a thing or two, but for the post part it just made him more pissed and scared both physically and mentally for life.

I can go on, but the saying is pretty much false, or extremely incorrect outside of a small percentage of contexts. That or its not important in most aspects. Its just used at most to get a psychological up in down times, beyond that? It kind of has little meaning. Basically its a nice story bro.

Maybe in sports, but then again there is nothing in sports which will likely kill you, not even in full on combat sports, chances are you will survive. So that does not necessarily apply. To those who are saying its like building muscle and working out? It does not apply as well. In fact that's a big determent in physical health, as your body builds itself up when sleeping not when working out. In fact most and by most I mean all body builders or even any other more extreme sports out there who over do it generally end up having a heart attack, did it make them stronger? UM! no.

Unless you all are trying to say your like the rapper 50 cent, who survived getting shoot 9 times, and became more hardcore and stronger for it or whatever. But ya! Me thinks that there is some high fantasy, first of all I do believe he was making 150,000K a month selling drugs at 15yr old, which is pretty lucrative in itself, so he already had a heads up in life, despite the backdrop of were he was raised. And second of all. How in the hell do you fire 9 shoots and not kill anybody in a drive by? Can it even be done?

Unless they were using pee shooters and shooting from 300 yards away I do believe anywhere at 40 yards or closer you can pretty much pick which eye you want the bullet to go through even on a moving target. Anybody who can shoot worth squat should have drooped him in one or two shoots then and there, 9 is overkill. The fact that he survived and anything else is not due to strength or charter or anything else, its due to whoever was shooting at him having extremely bad piss poor aim.

But I don't know, as there is always something no matter who you are or your lot in life. But its also human nature to justify it or turn it about in mental loops till it serves some purpose, or creed, or believe, or whatever. But in the end were all just walking meat popsicles, who think much of ourselfs, but in reality we have much more in common with goldfish then anything else we like to imagine we are, and who will all one day be dust in the wind, like the countless others before.

The joker may have a more real take on this saying then anything. But again, this to was established in some other thread, and before that as well. Strange indeed.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Thank you so much you're the one I love!

I was going to point out once again (maybe, like I did on the first page and again later) that exercising doesn't apply, just like making art doesn't. There are different kinds of "stresses" and most aren't life threatening and most don't apply here.

Going on a diet and exercising just isn't life threatening... no matter how much it might feel like it. It just isn't. So the muscle thing really doesn't have anything to do with this. You're not saying, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" whenever you bite down into a banana instead of a piece of cake. You're not saying, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" when you go on a jog. Come on people.

I was waiting for someone else to bring that point up.

Just because I recognize that sometimes... terrible things happen and nothing good comes from it, it doesn't mean I'm tortured about it or not at peace about it. In fact, I'm making my peace with the reality that sometimes terrible things happen and nothing good comes from it. In fact, when you're ready to accept this aspect of reality, that's when you'll be ready to make changes to prevent said terrible things from happening. They are unnecessary but not just benignly unnecessary(because I don't care about benign), some things are truly impertinent to our survival and it won't benefit us in the long run to deny the true toxic nature of specific things. Otherwise, as long as you keep justifying the terrible things in a blatant denial of their true toxic nature... you won't really have much incentive to change things. Things will never get better.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise
Wow there strange internet person! Lets not use the L word here. It is uncalled for, and a loaded word at that. I will call the moderators on you if you keep at it. You best believe I will.

But anyways.

I would say get out and do something you know. But I confess I did not really bother all that much to read this thread so who knows what your issue is, maybe you cant just get on out, maybe your bed ridden or something, or who knows. But yes! You are correct, some things just suck and will not leave you, not now, and some not ever, and you just got to learn to life with it to whatever extent. Simple as that. The only lesson being to have avoided it to begin with all together.

But to justify them as necessary for every day life or there there for some over all mysterious and magical lesson you will some day learn is beyond bizarre and trudging into the realm of mental derangement. Maybe the lesson learned here is that there is no lesson to learn, and bad # just happens, and some things are just toxic and will always likely be toxic and you would have been much better off if it did not happen, or avoid them all together. How about them apples. Sure sucks right?

But again. Context, just depends on what context were talking about there. I think while pep talks in some things and situation may help, in others there just uncalled for. You must embrace the suck, to know that the suck, does suck, or something like that. That's the extent on my pep talk skills...So ya! Anyways!

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
My son just showed me this:

Not meaning to be flippant about a serious matter,but i couldn't resist-and on topic i have had the type of life where being strong really Was the only option. There's great truth in the simple old saying: "Needs Must"

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
There was a recent point of life where I realized most the stress I was experiencing day to day was unneccesary, so I eliminated it almost entirely.

For some people this may mean chopping off two unneccesary monthly bills (not gonna kill you to go without Netflix and cable, and stressing that much less a month will make your immune system stringer), or even possibly switching jobs, or moving out of a stressful living situation.

Honestly I've been in living situations that were so stressful being homeless although giving more large risks, had less daily stress.

There are many irrational fears that plague inhabitants of modern society, and eliminating these one by one are beneficial.

The main thing I see people surrounded by me stressing out from tends to be financial troubles. All my friends are quite poor and most work low paying jobs. In order to deal with the stress many use alcohol or drugs or party when possible to forget the reality they may not make the rent that month. All of these activities which lead to lowered immune system and lesser ability to not be stressed at work due to sleep deprivation or substance withdrawals.

This is an occurrence I've seen in almost all the restaurant and general food service jobs I've worked at, everyone being stressed drugged tired or sick, which I why I left that field of work. A high stress job is not worth it especially if you are making minimum.

Any high stress situation is not worth it if the long term benefits are not greater than the stresses incurred.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join