It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why You Can't Win Arguments Online

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Why You Can't Win Arguments Online

I'm putting this in "Chit Chat" because I don't want to be all serious at 12:23 PM PST when I oughta be sleeping! Really, I've just come to appreciate this lovely little part of ATS, that isn't so adrenaline and testosterone-filled. People who go after each other with mutual Vulcan Death Grips, are much more chillaxed here. Really I've been kindly disposed to this forum since I met JacyGirl here.. she showed me a kitty picture.. and that's all it takes to get me more chillaxed. Anyway.. I do have a semi-serious thing to say that yonder YouTube video.

As ya'll know, the quality of youtube videos is horrible overall. Especially those infinite numbers of weird topic videos; now i suppose ya'all have your guilty pleasure videos.. the ones you are 100% BS, but you watch anyway... well these ones: Stuff They Don't Want You To Know - HowStuffWorks, aren't TOO BAD. They appear to be good "high level" videos on a bunch of stuff, and they don't really try to sell you any BS.

This particular video seemed to cover the basics about brain functions we still have from the plains of Africa, when we were still throwing poop at each other, rather than try to throw digital poop on each other.

It listed 5 things on this topic.

Now the one serious thing I liked, is something we all know.. that media, especially online media, due to big data tracking of everything we do, is placing us in these "confirmation bias" silos.. for example if we love Hillary (gagg!) we get pro-Hillary links/ads/content.. if we love Trump (gagg!) we get pro-Trump links/ads/content. (just a silly example).

There is the eternal talk about TPTB and all, but it seems to me that between all of our desires to "win arguments" that is built into us, and all this focused advertising which seeks to keep us in our little confirmation bias bubbles, trapped into our Internet connections where we no longer meet many people.. it seems we are increasingly being "silo'ed" into our own little bubbles----someday perpetually maybe.

I was following a thread today, where two (presumably) guys were slugging it out for page after page, arguing to save their egos or whatever.. even after a moderator had told them to stop. OMG. Of course I've done the same plenty of times myself. Yecch.

I coulda got all serious and written this up all perty, and put it into General Conspiracy or various other forums.. but i don't feel that serious at 12:36 AM PST now... just thought it was a decent video for once.. and wanted to get my "General Chit Chat wings" a bit.

Kev

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know - HowStuffWorks, aren't TOO BAD. They appear to be good "high level" videos on a bunch of stuff, and they don't really try to sell you any BS.

Speaking of "Stuff They Don't Want You To Know"...

According to one comment below your video, Blucora which is the video's source, is an arm of the CIA.

He mentions that Wikileaks said that some of the Board of Directors at Blucora were even CIA.

William Ruckelshaus who is the CEO and President of Blucora, (owner of HowStuffWorks) also appears to be a member of the CFR and was a former FBI director as well.

I guess you really were right about that "high level" videos thing after all...

Below is the comment I mentioned above:

When one researches the companies behind the quite large YouTube channels (i.e. >5 million subs, say childish ones like PewDiePie [sp?], Buzzfeed, etc) one quickly stumbles upon some curious facts: only a few major companies operate dozens of these YouTube channels, *and* the CEO of at least two of these companies were (and probably still are) ex-Mossad agents, and many of their board members have murky and shadowy pasts! It's neither here nor there, and it may mean nothing, but a pattern emerges: that one almost *always* finds these links to defense and intelligence apparatus even on seemingly childish and juvenile websites.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Is it about winning an argument or offering an alternate choice

It see,s that everyone I have come across thinks they are right and everyone else has to agree with them

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Poignant, true, thoughtful...

and thus will likely be ignored.

(that was [double] reverse psychology and it's ... oh lord, 3:26 a.m. PST and I'm totally in silly land.. .in fact, the bouncers asked me to leave silly land and I'm now stumbling around the lowest gutter of non seriousness imaginable, but wanted to say good post, but you are SO wrong... and I am, of course, SO correct, 'cause your demeanor of erudite-ness sets off my primitive mating mechanism and I gotta fling some dung, intimidate you to beta status and win the fair xx apechick who might be reading this in some other corner of this silly world.. .sigh... 'nighty night)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
arguing is less about "winning" and more about validating yourself. Which, as mentioned, all comes down to ego.

The easiest way to win an internet argument? Admit defeat and walk away....its the only winning move when you are hitting your head against a brick wall.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
A non PC quote I took to heart back in the early 90s that is more fitting today.

"Arguing online is like running in the special Olympics, even if you win you're still a ______."
edit on 2 7 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

People look to the internet to validate themselves and their ego's/opinions.

I'm old enough to know what the world was like before the internet. But I shudder to think of the world if the internet went away.

I think people would lose it, and go nuts.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Is winning an argument online even important?

We debate, discuss and yes even argue. But in the end, we can't change anybody's opinion or beliefs. Present your case and enjoy the replies. Hopefully we all learn something new along the line.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Well that got you a star. i was more correct about our minds being siloed in certain ways than I even realized!

That said, the source in question helps "teach the controversy' better than most sites, which really makes me
wonder if the CIA is trying to keep our 'mythological minds' primed "past the time" some of those myths might have started to become less popular without their intervention.

"Little Red Wagon Theory 101" tells me that much of the mythological confusion is kept in place, not due to the content, but because certain parties want us to stay permanently at each other's throats.. locked into mythologies, to keep us from being effective in the real world.

Various past governments such as the Roman Empire were experts at that, and the USA seems to be an expert as well.

Maybe I should have posted this in a 'conspiracy forum' not in chat.

Kev
edit on 7-2-2016 by KellyPrettyBear because: simple typo

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

People look to the internet to validate themselves and their ego's/opinions.

I'm old enough to know what the world was like before the internet. But I shudder to think of the world if the internet went away.

I think people would lose it, and go nuts.

"go nuts" ?

Are you saying that this is our "bread and circuses" to keep us pacified? This and watching "Duck Dynasty"?

Kev

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

You can change someone's opinions and beliefs as long as you aren't a dick about it, and they don't have significant personal investment already in place (donations, bought stuff, etc.) You just need to gently coax them, so they believe the conclusion you've lead them to was created by themself. ^_^
edit on 7/2/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
arguing is less about "winning" and more about validating yourself. Which, as mentioned, all comes down to ego.

The easiest way to win an internet argument? Admit defeat and walk away....its the only winning move when you are hitting your head against a brick wall.

Yup. I don't even know what percent of our daily lives is about "Validating ourselves"? 50% and the other 50% is about simple survival? Maybe a bit of unconditional love in there if a parent?

I'ts survival of the body or survival of the "mind/self" (not opening a can of worms on definitions here).

Kev

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
a reply to: SLAYER69

You can change someone's opinions and beliefs as long as you aren't a dick about it, and they don't have significant personal investment already in place (donations, bought stuff, etc.) You just have to be gentle about it. ^_^

This is true.

For example when I first came to ATS, I still had some "ancient alien corruption" in me.. I thought that MAYBE there was something whiz-bang about pyramids or what not. But then I started reading up on simple answers from actual experts and then I put aside such silly thinking.

But then again, as you say, I didn't care about those subjects very much.. I didn't have any sense of self "in the dog fight" on that subject.

Kev

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
For me, arguing in a forum is entertainment. It's fun, helps me pass time at work, and I sometimes learn a thing or two.

here is some more cats:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTory

Thank you!

Sad kitties aren't my thing.. but I'll take it.

Kev

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
In America and most of Europe everyones a winner, I cant believe you didn't know that. It doesn't even matter the event or the challenge.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
In America and most of Europe everyones a winner, I cant believe you didn't know that. It doesn't even matter the event or the challenge.

That's a whole other subject; should we:

1) Stop teaching dog eat dog competition tactics, as that might be beneficial to society

or

2) Encourage healthy competition, so that people's brains and bodies don't turn into mush from dis-use?

Frankly, that pinning an award on every kids chest thing annoys me. Saying "good effort everyone"... and "it's the team which matters" is all well and good.. but you can take it too far.

Kev

Kev

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Its ok the last generation of intelligent people will create machines to think for us, just make sure you take your pills and watch tv.

(I hope my sarcasm is shining through... like an atom bomb)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yes, yes you can win arguments online. Nick Cage memes win every argument, every time.

*drops mike and walks away*

Someone close this thread.

edit on 7-2-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: never go in against a Sicilian with death is on the line

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Nick is on par with clasically trained geniuses; please don't make fun of him or you'll hurt my feelings sniff*

"The Sorcerers Apprentice" was on par with "Gone with the Wind" and "Casa Blanca".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join