It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders has the highest approval rating of any U.S. senator

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: stutteringp0et

I use Spotify every day.

Simply because YOU personally do not like, or find those companies of value does not make them any less valuable to the world. Your personal opinion is just that -- an opinion.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: stutteringp0et
a reply to: Aazadan

Apparently, Krazysh0t thinks IKEA is a world changing company - and here I thought they just made cheap particle board furniture.

If that's what you like, by all means - buy IKEA, but don't kid yourself - it isn't top quality furniture.

It is a world-changing company. Think of how many fragile marriages are now over because of the arguments instigated from trying to assemble the product!

They do have a fairly innovative business strategy, instead of buying pre-built stuff, you save money by putting it together yourself. They also make space-saving designed stuff, and sell their product in a warehouse setting.

Oh, they have pretty bomb meatballs too. Seriously.

edit on 11-2-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I never said the products weren't worth using, just that they're not "world shaping" as claimed. For something to be "world shaping" - I'd think that it would be something pervasive, something just about everyone had heard of.

IKEA isn't the only company to sell do-it-yourself particle board furniture.

I'm a software developer. Spotify just isn't that impressive. Audio streaming has been around since the 90's.

I jumped onto this post because the assertion that Sweden was this innovation hotspot is bogus.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Let's face facts, "world shaping" inventions don't come along very often. The big ones (electricity, airplanes, computers, cars) have all been invented. The litmus test for what defines "world shaping" has changed, the paradigm in which we view what shapes the world is not the same as it was 50 years ago.

We're not reinventing the wheel anymore, we're refining it. The seemingly smaller advances are now what are shaping the world.

Quite frankly, Facebook isn't that impressive. Social networking existed long before it was created. Myspace, Friendster, chatrooms, IRC... But Facebook refined social networking.

I've kind of wondered about this too -- I've thought, "where are all the big breakthroughs and discoveries?" Well, I had to think about it for a bit and I realized that they're smaller, more refined these days.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

a reply to: Krazysh0t

You're defending IKEA now? I suggest you move to Sweden, where you can pay a huge taxes and be proud of your locally manufactured heartburn medicine and particle board furniture.

What's wrong with IKEA?

He's never been there and is making assumptions about all the stuff they sell. They certainly don't have the best furniture or best quality furniture, but it's decent enough and they make good enough business that they are located in many parts of the world.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Oh, they have pretty bomb meatballs too. Seriously.

For real.

My mom works at one actually. They treat their employees really well.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I'm really tired of how people keep deriding the poor for wanting to "buy more stuff". Let's call stuff what it is. It's paying bills. Buying food. Renting a roof. So they have a beater and a cell phone. The cost of these things is a fraction of the cost of basic subsistence. And tbh, I think every poor person should have access to the net, as I save MASSIVE cash on everything since it came out, way more than it costs me each month for service. It's just economically a no brainer. Stop using catch phrases to make things seem other than they are.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Apparently, Krazysh0t thinks IKEA is a world changing company - and here I thought they just made cheap particle board furniture.

If that's what you like, by all means - buy IKEA, but don't kid yourself - it isn't top quality furniture.

It's not top quality furniture but their model did revolutionize the industry. Before them no one ever thought to sell furniture flat and then assemble it on site. It's also quite affordable, and good quality for the price. Your product doesn't have to target the top 1% to be world changing. Do you think poor people shouldn't have furniture?
edit on 11-2-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

War mongering & prepping up the petrodollar > scientific breakthrough.

The government & private sectors need to be dumping massive amounts into 3D printing technology but they won't because the sooner that tech is advanced the sooner materialistic consumer societies will begin to crumble.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica

War mongering & prepping up the petrodollar > scientific breakthrough.

The government & private sectors need to be dumping massive amounts into 3D printing technology but they won't because the sooner that tech is advanced the sooner materialistic consumer societies will begin to crumble.

They are. The main roadblock with 3d printing technology is in producing proper raw materials to print. In the past few years there has been a massive push into generating new substances that are better suited to 3d printing. It's one of the largest research areas in the US/World right now.

One of the biggest breakthroughs a couple years ago was powders that could be joined using a laser as a binding agent, that's in 3d printers all over the world now. Here's one of the new ones (came out last year), it prints 100x faster than traditional 3d printing technology
www.cnet.com...
edit on 12-2-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

That's a crock - unassembled furniture has been available for decades - 65 years in fact! Manufacturers began experimenting with what they called knock-down furniture in the 1950's. Sauder Woodworking Company of Ohio started it in 1951 - IKEA jumped on the bandwagon in 1956.

IKEA was not the first business to arrive at that party. They revolutionized.....nothing, they copied someone else.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

They did it successfully.

Also, ideas tend to spontaneously materialize in many areas of the world around the same time, so to claim they didn't revolutionize it is a little short sighted.

It's unlikely the two companies had any knowledge of each other, and even if they did... so what?
edit on 17-2-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join