It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35 completes first transatlantic crossing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
AL-1, the first F-35A assembled outside the United States, landed at Pax River in Maryland on Friday. It's the first transatlantic crossing for the F-35 program. It was originally scheduled to arrive Wednesday but ran into maintenance and weather related delays. The flight departed Cameri Air Base in Italy on Tuesday, with two C-130s, a Typhoon, and two KC-767 tankers.

The first leg of the flight went from Cameri to Lajes Field in the Azores, and required three refuelings. The second leg required seven hours, and four refuelings, from Lajes to Pax River. The flight battled turbulence, and 120 knot (138 mph) headwinds. Major Gianmarco, who completed pilot training in the US in November, said the aircraft handled the flight beautifully. The aircraft will now undergo three months of E3 (electromagnetic environmental effects) testing before ferrying to Luke AFB to join 4 other Italian F-35As that have been committed to the program.

NAVAL AIR STATION PATUXENT RIVER, Md. – An Italian Air Force F-35 completed the fighter jet’s first transatlantic crossing Friday, a historic event that kicks off a landmark year for the international program.

The aircraft, an Italian Air Force F-35A dubbed AL-1, touched down here Feb. 5 after a seven-hour flight from Lajes Air Base, Portugal. The plane, which began its journey from Cameri Air Base in Italy, on Tuesday, was scheduled to arrive here on Wednesday, but was delayed due to weather and maintenance issues.

Despite a turbulent flight with headwinds of 120 knots, the plane performed well during both legs of the journey, Major Gianmarco, whose call sign is “Ninja,” the first Italian Air Force F-35 pilot, told reporters. The F-35, which flew with two C-130s, a Eurofighter Typhoon and two Italian tankers, required three aerial refuelings on the trip from Cameri to Lajes, and another four on the final leg, he said.

AL-1 Arrival at NAS Patuxent River, MD on 5 February,

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Seems the F-35 is working better than we thought. The pilot didn't have to get out and push it at all!

So, the F-35 is manufactured outside the US. Other than Italy, where else is the fighter built?

-dex

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

And it didn't even look like this:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Parts manufactured in the UK at BAE are rear fuselage, vertical and horizontal tails, BAE Warton are also involved in some of the classified sections of the project and to quote an old colleague there "we're also having fun wrestling with some of the stranger code that the yanks have included in the systems"

The guys at BAE working on the Typhoon experimental stuff and the black projects platforms have been seen wearing "F35, what doesn't work this month?" T-Shirts recently too

edit on 2902America/Chicagob20162022016242 by TheBogmonster because: ?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

There are two FACO (Final Assembly and Check Out) facilities. One is in Japan, which has the first aircraft in assembly, the other is in Italy. They will also be used for depot level inspections of aircraft. Australia will also do work on aircraft after they're assembled.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Pictures are up on The Aviationist.

Taken from here

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I can't imagine wearing that helmet and survival gear to do that trip. I've done it for 5 hours which sucks and my gear was half as heavy.

edit on 8-2-2016 by buddah6 because: AGE, PAIN MEDS and BAD MEMORY!

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Once upon a time they allowed fighter drags to come out of the east coast, to Hickam non-stop. We had a Viper drag come in, and a couple of the pilots had to be helped out of the cockpit because they could barely move their legs. One of them had to be craned out of the cockpit.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

edit on 2/8/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

When we deployed we tried to land every 3 hours or so. That was enough for me being an old bastard I needed a potty break periodically.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

THATS Marine training...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

shots 2 and 4 in your above post are gorgeous. the more I look at the f35 these days the more I like her looks.

new topics

top topics

join