It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am Barbie and So Can You!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

There are real health problems actually life threathening health problems which are made fun of, thyroid problem for example can slow heart beat and cause low blood pressure and lead to heart attack, anorexia is deadly too. If you can´t see it, it is not my fault !

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: dollukka
a reply to: ketsuko

So your take is not biased..
So you think it is ok to laugh on diseases like thyroid problem , anorexia etc and white trash ? This thread is tasteless and very much biased as one.

So your vote is for elitist, holier-than-thou, stick-up-the-bum Barbie?

I'm searching for an image of that Barbie right now. That and Bi-Polar Beach Barbie.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: windword

These are great. Many women have grown to have complexes about their self image because of Barbie. They have gotten a lot right after a while (she became a self-sufficient career woman with a casual love interest) but it was still almost aggressively exclusive to certain children. As far as the "transgender Barbie", keep in mind that any Barbie could be transgender.

By the way, I love your Colbert reference; that book is great.

A complex because of a doll without private parts? I'm not too suprised actually.

No, a complex because of generations of imposed expectations on young impressionable minds whose bodies come in every shape, color, and configuration. For quite some time, Barbie has been a poster child for that push.

I find it funny that people who don't complain about Barbie imposing unrealistic expectations on children are the same ones who do complain or make fun of Barbie products that are more inclusive.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I am waiting for Methface Barbie. She will sadly likely be quite popular in my neck of the woods.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

I think those who think kids are going off the deep end because of how their Barbie looks and only because of how their Barbie looks are ignoring quite a few other factors in those kids' lives.

I never thought I was supposed to look like Barbie. She was Barbie and I was me. Why would I look like her?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnthePhilistine

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: dollukka
a reply to: ketsuko

So your take is not biased..
So you think it is ok to laugh on diseases like thyroid problem , anorexia etc and white trash ? This thread is tasteless and very much biased as one.

So your vote is for elitist, holier-than-thou, stick-up-the-bum Barbie?

I'm searching for an image of that Barbie right now. That and Bi-Polar Beach Barbie.

Addendum: elitist, holier-than-thou, stick-up-the-bum, thin-skinned, humorless Barbie

Also, see if you can find a barbie doll with a prawn lying on it. Aussie Barbie.
edit on 6-2-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

It's true that "Barbie Culture" is not without its victims.

For example: This real life Space Barbie

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Definitely need a left wing and right wing barbie.

a police barbie too.

and a pro life and pro choice barbie set.

occupy barbie and a militia barbie.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I think those who think kids are going off the deep end because of how their Barbie looks and only because of how their Barbie looks are ignoring quite a few other factors in those kids' lives.

I never thought I was supposed to look like Barbie. She was Barbie and I was me. Why would I look like her?

It's not as if kids need to play with Barbies that look like they do. But having Barbie products that do make them feel they are worth emulating as much as the blonde white neighbor girl goes a long ways towards raising a confident child. I understand that you don't look like Barbie and maybe you just naturally possessed a healthy level of confidence but not all children do.

So why do people have problems with more options? Why would anybody be upset by this? If you are not upset by one kind of Barbie, why would you be upset with many kinds of Barbie? It is not Mattel's responsibility to do any of this but they are because there is a demand for it.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

It doesn't end there. Look at the difference of standards between what society used to think a beautiful woman was vs today's standard. If there was a modern day Marilyn Monroe, people would be Tweeting about how fat she is. Barbie helped change that standard.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I had this sad and lonely Barbie as an avi for a while

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

edit on 6-2-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

It doesn't end there. Look at the difference of standards between what society used to think a beautiful woman was vs today's standard. If there was a modern day Marilyn Monroe, people would be Tweeting about how fat she is. Barbie helped change that standard.

I would submit that Kate Upton turned that paradigm on its ear. A little meat on the bones.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
OK - my turn 'Leprosy Barbie - Now With Detachable Parts!'

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I'll hold out for Mohawk Road Warrior Barbie.
Until then, it's just not the same.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Are we not all, sad and lonely Barbies'?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Those toys were always a little bizarre and freaky, people trying to give them a more real motif and character does not make them any less so.

Besides were all barbie in one way or another. Though some of us are more lego people.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Ohhhhh DEEAR

GOOD

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
What?! No PC Barbie?

A Kamakaze Barbie & Ken team would be interesting tho.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
And here's Hybrid Barbie....

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join