It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can we put the Flat earth theory to bed?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
if the earth was flat then you should be able to set your telescope up on a beach in france and see the statue of liberty with it. right?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Squirlli

Honestly, I don't think I've heard a response for what's on "the other side" in that scenario. I might have to go look into that.

One version I've heard pretty much implies that all of space is "above" us and that the "edges" of the Earth are somehow inaccessible. I didn't understand it, but I think they were saying our Universe was the inside of a large box, Earth was the flat inside bottom of the box, and space was all of the "space" inside of the box. So basically, there was no "b side" underneath.

Just for the record, I don't think all of the flat Earth theories complement each other. It seems more like specific responses made to answer specific round-Earth assertions, even if they contradict each other. I think that's why a lot of people think the new flat Earth push is just an academic exercise in disguise. From time to time I get interested in it, but that's because they entertain me. lol I didn't even think people were serious about it until semi-recently.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
if the earth was flat then you should be able to set your telescope up on a beach in france and see the statue of liberty with it. right?

Wouldn't their response be that the clouds, mountains, and other features on the surface block the way? Or something similar? I don't think they believe it's "flat" as in featureless, just "flat" like a huge lumpy cookie. I think.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Okay, are there no flat earthers in ats world? None of you can chime in? I would like to hear someone explain the flat earth theory about how water always finds flatness or flattens out? How does water stay on a round earth.... GRAVITY.
Seems like FE ers do not believe in gravity. I mean I'm pretty sure that gravity is a force we all can agree upon is pretty easily proven. If the sun was only a hundred miles away, earth's gravity would swallow it up.
In flat earth theory, is earth stationary in space? Do we revolve around the galaxy still?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I had a toy as a kid growing up. This toy was a sphear that would separate along the equator when pulled from each end using the supplied handels. This device led to great undestandings of space, shapes, and time (if you still had a finger in the equator when released). I still remember not being able to fit a square block in a round hole. Many of my childhood friends have grown up to believe that if you keep poking them together; two rounds pegs will some how come together the way geometry should be. In closing, I am not suprised this has not been laid to rest.

Even flat earthers have information I do not. I have no idea the flavor of a yellow crayon.
edit on 4-2-2016 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
If you dig deeply enough....you will find the answer.

My mate started digging, and I haven't seen him since.

Alternatively, you can believe this shiite, No 2 in the 100 of flat Earther's beliefs.

The horizon always rises to the eye level of the observer as altitude is gained, so you never have to look down to see it. If Earth were in fact a globe, no matter how large, as you ascended the horizon would stay fixed and the observer / camera would have to tilt looking down further and further to see it.

So the horizon is just a one dimensional line then, and there is nothing betwixt you and the horizon.
edit on 4-2-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

I don't see why not, I mean, if you believe in cameras, (as flat Earthers do) you should be able to take the drastic step in believing in telescopes.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant
The only thing in between the French beaches and the new York harbor is the atlantic ocean and there`s no mountains in the ocean.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

For what reason at all, would any government, bilderberg member, PTB, rich tycoon, president, king, queen or any authrative figure... want to lie and portray the earth as round when its really flat?

Two I can think of. If the earth is flat, and the southern oceans are much bigger than we think, there could be a hidden continent like Admiral Byrd says there was. A hidden continent could have lots of resources they want for themselves, or be there secret getaway, or populated by giants, aliens or lizardmen who will annihalate us if we go there?

Second is that they adopted it to oppose the catholic church when they were all powerful, and now they don't want to admit they've been lying the whole time?

They do have some compelling evidence, especially southern flight routes. I just saw one of their videos where they said a flight from the south pacific to California diverted to Alaska for a medical emergency. That would be way out of the way on the globe earth, but not on the flat earth map.

Also they do have pics from balloons and other things showing a flat horizon. The altitude record balloon jump they did recently had two cameras on it. The main camera showed a curved horizon, but the cockpit camera showed a flat horizon out the side window.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

I just saw one of their videos where they said a flight from the south pacific to California diverted to Alaska for a medical emergency.

Got a link? I'd love to see that. I'm thinking it may have actually been Chicago to Hong Kong, but we'll see, hopefully.

That would be way out of the way on the globe earth, but not on the flat earth map.

Any particular FE map? I've never seen one that could display realistic positioning/distances between known points.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
So every other planet we can observe is spherical but Earth is flat? Sounds much more like a conspiracy to me...

Even in the antiquity they had speculated that Earth is most likely spherical until they actully proved it is. So were they a part of conspiracy too. Greeks, Chinese, Indians...all conspirators then?

To prove yourself that the Earth is NOT flat is actually easier than going into space. Just keep following a cardinal direction of your choosing and you will sooner or later come to the point where you began your path. It`s called circumnavigation of the Earth.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

FLAT EARTH claimants always run like hell when 2 things are cited :

1 - perth > johhanasburg direct flight [ 9h 20m ]

2 the volvo ocean race

both these verifiable journies demolish the flat earth claim - as neither will fit on thier silly map

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
mathematical demonstration that the flat earth claim is false :

1 - polaris and latitude

this demonstration relies on only a single premise - that a sighting of polaris can be taken from 60n , 45m and 30n and that the position of polaris [ azimuth ] above the true horizon will be identical to the latitude

got that ?

now actually plot these on a " flat plane " - use a protractot and ruler

then measure the distances between the 3 points

instant falsification of the plat earth " map "

2 - longitude :

the notion of longitude assumes a oblate spheroid - as the lines of longitude congverge at the north an south poles .

in the plat earth delusion - there is no south pole - thus no convergence

the ground measurement for one degree of logitude at N45 is obviously shorther than the ground measurement of 1 degree longitude at the equator

but - the distance at N45 and S45 are obviously identical - [ in the oblate spheroid model ]

this is where the flat earth delusion colapses - as the longitude lines continue to diverge south of the equator

ooops - silly flat earthers

obviously - the claims of the oblate spheroid model are actually verified by real world measurements and observations .

science 1 - flat earth delusion - 0

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
I found 3 cities between 33 and 34 S lat. You can travel east from Santiago to Cape Town to Sydney to Santiago. It's about 18,800 miles.

Given the distance from the North Pole to 30 degrees S lat, the distance around a flat Earth at that latitude would be about 52,000 miles if I calculated it correctly.

I posted this link earlier debunkingflatearth.blogspot.com...
It's full of great info on how Polaris demonstrates the shape of the Earth, and better yet, graphics that even a flatter might understand.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

They told sailors back then that they would fall off the end of the world. They had believers back then. Still do today. What does that tell ya. I Myself am waiting for the burning of witches to come back only now to come in a different form. YouTube, face book, chat boards. They all talk about others and say crazy things. IF they had the witch burnings today over 80% of the population is a witch. Maybe they are. ??????????????

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oannes
If the Earth was flat it would appear that way from outer space. That should end all discussion.

Sure...but the premise is always started with nasa being a organization of lies to cover the truth, therefore...everything is done in studios and stuff.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I was wondering the other day what answer do flat-earthers have to the assertion that all the other planets are spherical and so is our moon, so why would Earth be any different?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

the problem with flat earth believers invoking NASA is :

the insignificance of NASAs contribution to the spheroid model

this is not a denigration of NASAs contribution

but if you remove all NASA data - the oblate spheiord mode still stands on all the other independant data from golgal sources

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Rapha

How does one get a hold of this elusive red pill?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join