It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is what happens when you reply to spam email

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I came across this the other day and found it quite amusing. This young man received an e-mail from a scammer and decided to have a bit of fun with it. I won't tell you what he did because it would spoil the fun. I hope you enjoy it.

edit on 2/3/2016 by N3k9Ni because: video problem

edit on 2/3/2016 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The video doesn't work OP. Can you please fix it so we can see it? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Teddy916
Sorry about that. I missed a character in the video link. It should work now.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
That was just awesome! LOL

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Haha this was awesome! And what a great idea! Thanks for the share!!
a reply to: N3k9Ni

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

That is absolutely hysterical. I have done similar with spam email, but none quite so funny.

In one case, when the 'Nigerian scams' were new, I decided to see how far it would go..I actually made $600+ from it. And I never expected anything. I will explain how.

I received an email from some 'government official' stating someone wealthy had died, in Nigeria- a Nigerian- with no heirs, but that I may be one of those heirs, after their very diligent research.

It was quite a surprise that I might have a Nigerian relative, but 'cradle of civilization' and all that...who knows???
We emailed back and forth several times and the man was extremely cordial.

They said they wanted to send me a check for $5000 USD and would only want me to return $500 to them in fees.

I could see where this was going...the check clears 'temporarily', you send $500 out and then the check, after international clearing, which was an up to 2 week process at the time, would fully bounce and one would be responsible for $5000 + fees to their bank.

They asked me for nothing up front. My address is public record. So my answers were sort of like "I am so sorry to hear of his passing, my deepest condolences." And I gave my address. I HAD to see this check.

I did receive it. It was written on The Bank of New York, at a NYC branch. I looked up the routing # online, that was legit.

I thought, well, if I bring this into my bank, they should be able to tell if the account number and name is legit. They could call the bank in question. They should be able to say yes or no without depositing it.

I did bring this to Bank of America, my bank at the time. Then they were a good, solid bank. But at this point they have had about 100 different class action suits about unfair fees, the order in which they process, sub prime mortages..and other stuff...name it, they have been sued and lost.

The helpful teller does call the bank on the check. She assures me that it is good. Many Customer Services Reps have assured me of things that later turn out to be untrue. I told her I will deposit it, but if it turns out to be 'no good', I don't want to be on the line for any fees and I want my account noted. She agreed.

The check 'cleared' in about 4 business days. I spent about $200 of it, but was still wary and left the rest.

A week later it 'fully bounced' and BofA sent me charges for 3 overdrafts and a bounced check fee. This totaled about $90 in fees and $200 worth of purchases I might have been on the line for at other businesses.

I went back to the bank and spoke to the manager. I saw her go to the teller I had previously seen. They spoke/argued for a full 15 minutes. At the end of that visit, I received credits to my account totaling $290. The part I had spent and the fees. My balance was brought into the positive.

Two class action settlements against bank of America later, I have received just over $300 in settlement checks and I am told a third is on the way. The 3 of these due to inappropriate fees and the the order in which transactions were processed.

I don't plan on trying this ever again, but in this case...it came out well.

Sorry that was so long and as far as I know...this would not work this way ever again. So, 'do not try this at home'.

edit on 3-2-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

That's great!

I remember getting the long distance carrier solicitations from AT&T in the form of cashable check.

I cashed it at a 'checks cashed' place. I didn't have a phone

lol

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Ten or so years ago when the Nigerians thought this was a universally cool thing to do....I too messed with them.

"Please, I'm stuck in a hotel in Nigeria, the manager is holding my passport and my jerk boyfriend up and left me owing the full $200 hotel bill!! If you send me $200 by Western Union, I can make it back to the states (I have frequent flyer miles to get back to anywhere for free) and visit you! I'll be VERY thankful...and willing to show you how thankful I am!!!"

At the time, I had family who needed help on a monthly basis. I had been using Western Union to send them cash. Western Union would send me an email receipt with the MTCN number which is their tracking system.

So, I took the text of the receipt email....doctored it to show that I had sent this Nigerian princess the money only 10 minutes ago. I told her to go to the local WU office, the money is there!!! I then sent "her" the fudged receipt.

"But, they're saying the money isn't there!"

"Well, I have the receipt that I sent you...it should be there any minute now...go back and it should be there by the time you get there.....I'm so sorry this is causing problems...I don't know what in the world could be wrong!"

Rinse.
Lather.
Repeat.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I love messing with people like that.

I remember listening to a guy messing with a telemarketer that was selling cemetery plots. The guy had the telemarketer convinced that he was going to kill himself.
ETA: Here you go so you can listen.

edit on 3-2-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

That guy also did one telling the telemarketer that he called a murder scene. Here's the video for you to listen to.

edit on 2/3/2016 by N3k9Ni because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I forward the spam back to the sender, over and over until it quits. (which usually is just once)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
There are folk out there that have taken it to the extreme. A member of the group linked below managed to persuade a Nigerian scammer to get a tattoo of their logo, as the scammer believed he was going to get money from the groups "Missionary" funds once he did, or something to that effect. Funny stuff.

ScamBaiting

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This whole thread is hilarious. Reldra you must be really smart and on top of things. Good for you. Skid Mark, the video was hilarious. I have 16 unknown/private number/anonymous calls on my phone now. I have done similar in the past but am inclined to try again.

OP...S&F. Appreciate the post and video made me laugh. Read so much bad it is good to smile.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I like that one, too.

I know it's their job to call but it's so annoying.
ETA:
This one is very funny. This guy tricked some Nigerian scammers into doing Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch.

edit on 3-2-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Meh. What passes for humor these days is pathetic and sorely lacking in creativity.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Meh. What passes for humor these days is pathetic and sorely lacking in creativity.

I agree.
It's beyond cringeworthy.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Love it!

Now to troll IRS emails

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Me and my brother do something similar to telemarketers when they call, I got the idea from a tv show from years ago. We basically play along with whatever and keep coming up with reasons why the caller needs to talk to the other brother, we pass the phone back and forth until the calling party just hangs up.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Wow interesting. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Wonderful ! Thanks for these positive feelings tonight )

edit on 6-2-2016 by Lunadreamer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join