It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$19 TRILLION in Debt - US Debt Clock

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I go to this site all the time.. don't ask me why. It's cool to go back in time (or ahead to the year 2020).

This topic gets me livid, but it's important to talk about. Does anybody out there CARE? Please tell me there is.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to discuss the United States National Debt, which just broke $19 trillion this morning.

usdebtclock.org...

I find it funny (ha ha) that when you do the fast-forward feature to look at the year 2020, it shows the estimated National Debt at $20.9 trillion. Yeah right - the criminals on Capitol Hill are going to run this country into the ground. Future generations will be strapped with debt before they are even born.

Things seem to be getting worse and worse - we need term limits for Congress and SOMEHOW these criminals need to be held accountable.

They loot Social Security, do whatever the hell they want and then retire with a nice pension.

Talk about ass-backwards.

Tough times ahead?

They would like us to believe that this is unpreventable and is a natural result of public and private activities, but that's bullsh**

P.S. I understand that the debt vs. GDP ratio is supposed to be a good stat to check to see if your country/currency is doing okay, but regardless of that this $19 T is still a huge issue and this "kick the can down the road" mentality can only go on for so long.

Some of that was unorganized ramble, for that I apologize.

P.P.S. Here is a nice webpage I found that talks about our fiat currency, inflation, compounding interest and the debacle we are seeing today one-simple-idea.com...
edit on 2-2-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

The republicans in the House hold the checkbook.

Obama just signs it.

Kick out the republicans who are making those numbers with all the zeros after it.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
19 trillion divided by 320 million people....
That only about 60k dollars for every American.
What's the worry? Lol...uugg

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm certain that this is not a partisan issue.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
19 trillion divided by 320 million people....
That only about 60k dollars for every American.
What's the worry? Lol...uugg

Of course, that's assuming babies have pretty good jobs.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Many of those Americans are infants and young children too.

$158 K per taxpayer. I don't even have $158 to my name.

$158,000? of which I've seen $0.00, yet those mighty nice bureaucrats keep racking up their (our) tab.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Obama inherited most of that debt. Not his fault.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

I never said anything about Obama.

Let's try to stay on topic and not derail the issue at hand please.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Our children will inherit that debt and then some if this isn't dealt with promptly.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

No. Sorry. You can't blame this one on Bush.

useconomy.about.com...

Barack Obama - The debt grew the most dollar-wise during President Obama's term. He added $6.167 trillion, a 53% increase, in six years. Obama's budgets included the economic stimulus package, which added $787 billion by cutting taxes, extending unemployment benefits, and funding job-creating public works projects. The Obama tax cuts added $858 billion to the debt over two years. Obama's budget included increased defense spending to around $800 billion a year. Federal income was down, thanks to lower tax receipts from the 2008 financial crisis. He also sponsored the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which was designed to reduce the debt by $143 billion over ten years. However, these savings didn't show up until the later years. For more, see National Debt Under Obama.

George W. Bush - President Bush added the second greatest amount to the debt, at $5.849 trillion. That more than doubled the debt, which was $5.8 trillion on September 30, 2001 -- the end of FY 2001, which was President Clinton's last budget. Bush responded to the 9/11 attacks by launching the War on Terror. That drove military spending to record levels of between $600-$800 billion a year. It included the Iraq War, which cost $807.5 billion. President Bush also responded to the 2001 recession by passing EGTRRA and JGTRRA, otherwise known as the Bush tax cuts, which reduced revenue. He approved a $700 billion bailout package for banks to combat the 2008 global financial crisis. Both Presidents Bush and Obama had to contend with higher mandatory spending for Social Security and Medicare. For more, see President Obama Compared to President Bush Policies.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
All this, with a crumbling infrastructure and cities like Detroit that are in absolute shambles.

Infrastructure Report Card (mostly Ds)

"Estimated investment NEEDED by 2020: $3.6 TRILLION"

You think our reps in Washington are incorporating this issue into their decision making? I highly doubt it

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm certain that this is not a partisan issue.

True. Government/congress/politicians are all corrupt and spending our money and our future for false promises.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
the only question remaining :
if the whole world is in debt, to whom is it in debt with?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrose

the name Rothschild comes to mind..

Those orchestrating decisions in the Trilateral Commission, Council on Foreign Relations, Bilderberg Group...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Other than it being a scary sounding number why do you think the national debt is a problem?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
We owe most of that money to ourselves. The government borrowing money from another part of the government. The debt is weird because we do not back it with any assets. So while the US could pay off the debt over night selling small amount of its mineral rights it does not. The debt is sort of one of things that has become a political tool. Is it great to have? No. Is it dooms day? No. We keep extending tax cuts that do a big part of damage. If anybody every starts to take it serious that would end. And you might even see an tax increase, since taxes compared to the boom days of the US economy are tiny now. The US like a guy who has $100,000 debt and over half of which he owes to his wife but, has $5 million in gold bars in his house and only collects a quarter of his pay every year.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrose
the only question remaining :
if the whole world is in debt, to whom is it in debt with?

Also, just where has all that 'cash' gone? Is someone burning it all? Ah, perhaps all the bills and debt notes should be burnt, that might get rid of the debt.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Our children will inherit that debt and then some if this isn't dealt with promptly.

And who will they owe this debt to?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Political influence, control, and exploitation.

en.wikipedia.org...

Foreign Holdings:

"As of September 2014, foreigners owned $6.06 trillion of U.S. debt, or approximately 47% of the debt held by the public of $12.8 trillion and 34% of the total debt of $17.8 trillion.[45] The largest holders were China, Japan, Belgium, the Caribbean banking centers, and oil exporters.[47] The share held by foreign governments has grown over time, rising from 13% of the public debt in 1988[48] to 25% in 2007.[49]

As of September 2014 the largest single holder of U.S. government debt was China, with 21% of all foreign-held U.S. Treasury securities (10% of total U.S. public debt).[50] China's holdings of government debt, as a percentage of all foreign-held government debt are up significantly since 2000 (when China held just 6 percent of all foreign-held U.S. Treasury securities).[51]"

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

and their children would inherit their debt and pass on to the next generation...and so on and so forth, it's illogical, the whole thing is a fabricated mess.
edit on 2-2-2016 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join