It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Islamophobia' the term used to forgive a multitude of sins!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I decided today to look at the definition of what Islamophobia actually means. I was compelled to do so after reading yet another article where this term has been used. It seems to be everywhere we look and almost on a daily basis this term is used whenever someone who is muslim is called into question because of their actions or criminal activities therefore always rendering them the victim and the person or authorities calling into question their behaviour the hostile bad one.

For the purposes of this thread I have shared one of the definitions I found below:

term "Islamophobia" was first introduced as a concept in a 1991 Runnymede Trust Report and defined as "unfounded hostility towards Muslims, and therefore fear or dislike of all or most Muslims." The term was coined in the context of Muslims in the UK in particular and Europe in general, and formulated based on the more common "xenophobia" framework.

Look at the wording in the definition above particularly "unfounded hostility towards muslims" and then think of those words in the context of the article below:

www.express.co.uk...

This article relates to the prison sentence given to Taleena Shalik in Court yesterday. For those not familiar with the case she is a young British woman who went to Syria with her 14 month old son to join ISIS. She shared images of her son with ISIS flags and an AK47 as well as many photos of herself supporting ISIS and using propaganda to recruit other muslims. She eventually became disenfranchaised and returned to the UK where she then told lots of lies to the Police before eventually admitting being involved with ISIS. Yesterday she was sentencec to 6 years imprisonment which many British people think is too lenient and instead she should never have been allowed back in the first place.

The article is discussing her father's reaction to the sentencing. He feels it has been too harsh and intends to appeal and I am certain he will have greedy lawyers rubbing their hands in glee as they see the amount of money they will be able to squeeze out of the British taxpayer but what really angers me is he has said the justice system have been islamophobic in sending his daughter to prison. Right there is that label again and straight away suddenly his daughter has become the victim. His daughter has willingly joined a group who hate all infidels, want to carry out atrocities in the West, tell other muslims to kill and hurt innocent people in the West both muslims and non-muslims (I dont know that there is a labelfor this hatred of the West but there dam well should be just to even out the playing field maybe Westophobic!) and suddenly her crimes are being excused because of this label.

People like her father believe this. There are so many people like her father who believe they are now superior, untouchable and unanswerable for their actions because of this one small label. So do we believe the British authorities have unfounded hostility to this woman or is it finally that the UK are waking up to these tactics which have been used for years in this Country to allow such as the hate preachers to carry on spewing their hatred on our streets and which in all probability have led to events such as those on NYE in Cologne.

This brandishing of a label used inappropriately needs to stop. People like myself and many others arent being unfoundedly hostile to muslims when they carry out sex attacks such as those in Cologne or kill a woman in an asylum centre in Sweden we are just being concerned citizens.

Islamophobia should only be used in instances where innocent muslims are attacked or persecuted. If British people start calling for non muslims to go out and hurt and kill muslims that would definitely be Islamophobia but someone being treated the same as any other British person carrying out an act of treason or sexually assaulting someone isnt!

edit on 2-2-2016 by anxiouswens because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
'His daughter has willingly joined a group who hate all infidels, want to carry out atrocities in the West, tell other muslims to kill and hurt innocent people in the West both muslims and non-muslims (I dont know that there is a labelfor this hatred of the West but there dam well should be just to even out the playing field maybe Westophobic!)'

Terrorist would apply here. It seems people have become more interested in name calling than actions. She's going to jail, that's what matters.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

Rationalphobia is a terrifying disorder, pervasive and insidious.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I'm sorry but if you cannot or refuse to understand that the actions of a few do not dictate the actions of the whole, you will NEVER understand the definition of Islamaphobia and why people are called that.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The mail has the full audio statement from the father instead of just the edited sensational soundbytes they've condensed into 2 lines and created a badly structured article around.

He sounds like a dick to be fair but when he says 80% of the witnesses didn't attend court and the defence team colluded with the state he might not be lying. It doesn't make her innocent though.

+15 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Islamophobia, xenophobia, White privilege, antisemite - these names, and others like it, are the new age "myth memes" insofar as being perpetrated by politically correct precious snowflakes who simply cannot tolerate any opinion that runs counter to their own.

It is the apex of acute propaganda because it causes the victim to become the assailant and the assailant to become the victim.

Personally, I will not collectively pigeon-hole entire races or religious groups. I will however, call it as I see it, and if I see it often, I'll call it often, how others label me as a consequence of this is their karma, not mine.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'm sorry but if you cannot or refuse to understand that the actions of a few do not dictate the actions of the whole, you will NEVER understand the definition of Islamaphobia and why people are called that.
you say this yet racism is always discussed as a white problem.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

No it isn't.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Wow Anxiouswens, a post that i agree with part of! S&F

I also am of the belief that the term is thrown about by the media, particularly U.K. media, a gread deal more than it should be. To disappoint you, I personally feel that they do not use it when it IS needed, such as the Rotheram siuation we had a few years ago, which was pretty much a direct result of what your problem with the term is. Islamophobia, and an adherance to political correctness.

I also agree this man in the anecdote is an idiot and his claims of islamophobia are incorrect.

Agreement out of the way, with that said, when some people make it their priority, and go on to talk about or post about a certain subject multiple times each day with no mention of other subjects, it most certainly is either a phobia or a philia.

The term islamophobia always puts me in mind of 3rd wave feminists who advocated '#killallmen' and caused it to trend highly on twitter. The reason they did? A large majority of rapes are by men. Let that sink in. Not all, just a large amount. Yet it became kill ALL men. It reminds me of the certain typed who spew the 'kill all Muslims/turn the ME into glass' crowd, the people who we should ACTUALLY refer to as islamophobes.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
Islamophobia, xenophobia, White privilege, antisemite - these names, and others like it, are the new age "myth memes" insofar as being perpetrated by politically correct precious snowflakes who simply cannot tolerate any opinion that runs counter to their own.

It is the apex of acute propaganda because it causes the victim to become the assailant and the assailant to become the victim.

Personally, I will not collectively pigeon-hole entire races or religious groups. I will however, call it as I see it, and if I see it often, I'll call it often, how others label me as a consequence of this is their karma, not mine.

Conversely, PC and social justice wariors are also used as dismissive terms by many to justify saying things that are patently bigoted and irrational. It would be better if we dropped the name calling altogether and debated points on their own merit instead of letting things devolve into mindesslness.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

less than 50 yrs of equal first ever treatment in the US and in the history of whites in the US and you put white privilege on that list. I don't even...........

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So what is "islamophobic" about the prison sentence she was given?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: chishuppu

The world does not revolve around the US.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DutchMasterChief

So what is "islamophobic" about the prison sentence she was given?

Nothing. I don't care about individual anecdotes surrounding this word. I care about people like the OP who continually try to display anecdotes like the OP and then apply that to Muslims in totality. THAT is Islamophobia.

See. You didn't even get the point I was trying to make and focused on the silly anecdote the OP was presenting.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

I was born in country former colonized by the Brits, please school me on this new phenomenon you speak off.
edit on 2-2-2016 by chishuppu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

This "silly anecdate" is proof provided by the op that shows how the word "islamophobia" is used to play the victim card. It's not even an anecdote, it is an interview.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DutchMasterChief

Which is an anecdote. Words get misused all the time. That doesn't mean there isn't real weight to the word and it isn't describing a real thing.

Look, let me explain to you what the point of this thread was. He is trying to say, "See here is an example of this word being misused. Therefore people who use that word aren't really describing hate speech." No you just showed ONE example of it being misused. You have NOT highlighted an overall trend. This is called an anecdote fallacy.
edit on 2-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

That doesn't mean there isn't real weight to the word and it isn't describing a real thing.

The situation that causes the fear is a real thing.

edit on 2-2-2016 by DutchMasterChief because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DutchMasterChief

I never said it wasn't, but trying to label the total for the actions of the few pretty much guarantees that the cycle of violence never ends.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

What "few"?

What situation are you even refering too? The situation in Maryland US?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join