It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rejecting materialism is humanities only hope

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Yes yes,
Cars and iPhones are the reason people treat each other horrible.
The world was a peachy eutopia before material things.

LOL yep..

Umm but my rock is bigger then yours

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Indeed the psychology is major player...

For some reason your comment made me think of pokies we have here....wen you win you need to play more to win more,when you lose you need to play more to win your money back......lose lose is all i get from it yet millions cannot help themselves....

I agree before the idea of psychology was invented thing WHERE so much better. People actually use to work and talk to each other, not just hold it in and complain to their therapist.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Great post,

I was just thinking along these lines the other day. The ego is constantly needing more and more as it seeks attention.

I think we each need to make our own judgement as to how materialism affects us. I see many who people with plenty who are happy, likewise many who are content with little in life. If you hold possessions dear you soon lose them, or one is forever trying to find peace through acquisitions.

When you say mainstream culture I guess materialism is made out to be a panacea to the longing of spirit within; those who fail to critically look at why they buy "stuff" will forever be chasing an elusive ideal. On the other hand I dont see materialism as the death of humanity. I am loathe to cast my judgement on others through the lens of possessions. You only have to wait all of 2 minutes to see what comes out of their mouth as a better indicator of their raison d'etre.

Sure I get that we are part of a whole and as such we should be good stewards towards the planet. Until we get rid of psychologists and re elevate "ministers of the soul", or teach people ethics and morals formally in our society, we will wallow in moral ambiguity.

understanding that everything is one giant cosmic being living in everything everywhere.

Some see it like this... and there is merit in admitting that all our actions affect others somewhere along the way; I stop short of saying we are or should be part of some "borg" like collective. These are memes that have done the rounds being put into circulation by think tanks who likewise push the man is a virus on this planet, or eating meat is bad for the planet or we are solely responsible for climate change. I usually find that if you trace back where these ideas were generated you would find that its the super wealthy 1%'ers who want you to go without, whilst they have it all.

We are not doomed, that's negative thinking. The Universe is bountiful, there's plenty for everyone; if you think "poverty". that's all you will see. There's energy and life everywhere. We can make a better change to our future if we all slowed down and questioned our rationale. The solutions are in front of us. We will not find them if we walk in fear.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

The problem is limited resource forces us to compete against one another.

If we ever truly want to be free we need unlimited resources for everyone all the time and sadly I don't see that happening

There is only the illusion of limited resources. If money is constantly printed why then do you need to compete against your neighbour. Is it the resource you are competing for or societies approval that "you have made it"

How will unlimited resources help those who live a "limiting life". They wont be happy until they deprive others of the resource and hoard it for themselves. If everyone was given a $million each wouldn't the price of goods would soar to reflect the extra money in circulation?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: eldemie

Everything we need has been available to us as of what....2000's?

Everything we need has been available since our birth.

Everything we want will be available after the next mass media advertisement.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

we need to connect to the Gaia'n mind once more

Drink the cool aid - gaia wll kill you in sub zero temperatures, or any other of the thousand deserts on this planet. Diminish your ego for sure, but you need clothes and food and shelter; I don't even know what a psychedelic being looks like!

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
Take a look in the mirror you are one !

no one is suggesting we remove our clothing and go wandering into the abyss

cool aid tastes awful far too much sugar try something natural instead

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

my opinion = " abandon ship " YMMV

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
I think that could well be the actual "plan"

The rats are always the first to leave after all

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Silent revolution is going on in society. Those people who practise seriously meditation loose gradually interest for wordly things as they find the inner happyness much more satisfying. I think we will see gradual change into that direction more and more.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Ahh....I see what you did there....lol good one!!

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

Well if it is at the expense of the whole world....then I welcome the new one?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
All I can say is we on earth have been so materialistic for so long, its hard to imagine us giving it up. Throughout the ages the rich and powerful have made us starve, which is the opposite of materialism. Most of us are slaves to that process,many still have no choice but to do what one can. The problem lays in the very concept of how wealth is distributed. The other side of the coin is that I have seen people that live a non materialistic life, but a problem arises when you have children. They go to school and see that others have TV “tell a vision or tell a lie”, special clothes and engage in special activities. Not to mention what they eventually see is happening on the TV, as they grow the child begins to suspect that his parents are faulty, dim and backwards. The system knows this and plays its cards exactly in that direction. So that leaves us with one realistic option, to play the game but to play the game our way. Shifting and spreading the power in the right direction. Is it possible? who knows but it seems to me our only choice. Its definitely a one by one change, its never going to happen at the top of the pyramid or pyramind. Its all about the heart of the matter. a reply to: onequestion

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

So can you point me in the general direction of the Gaian Mind?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join