It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Eyewash’: How the CIA deceives its own workforce about operations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This is disturbing, because when researchers go back to reconstruct things, no one knows which information is part of the deception operation or not. Supposedly. But is this really even surprising, at all?

Senior CIA officials have for years intentionally deceived parts of the agency workforce by transmitting internal memos that contain false information about operations and sources overseas, according to current and former U.S. officials who said the practice is known by the term “eyewash.”

But others cited a significant potential for abuse. Beyond the internal distrust implied by the practice, officials said there is no clear mechanism for labeling eyewash cables or distinguishing them from legitimate records being examined by the CIA’s inspector general, turned over to Congress or declassified for historians.

After having gone over quite a few Project Bluebook released papers, for instance, the possibility that anyone of them could be fake is annoying! Project BB is not the CIA, but it's government records. And I'm not a historian, but it's an example of someone trying to glean information from the "facts", far after the events take place, using "official" government records. Just feels un-American. Or completely "American"!
It's not as if I'm surprised...
The Washington Post
edit on 1-2-2016 by kkrattiger because: Not part of CIA project bb

edit on 1-2-2016 by kkrattiger because: More of what it means to me

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
When you are the provider of information, mixing lies with truth also makes you the great mediator of knowledge to those underneath you. Not only will they look up to their superiors for pertinent information, they will seek the information to be clarified when their heart tells them something is wrong, but they're too unsure if its a ruse or not.

This is deception and control of information. Imagine if everyone thought everything they were given was true in the agencies. Whistle-blowers could then never be denied creditability when this tactic allows them to call it "willful deception" and "integrity testing" (loyalty).

If something damning passes under the eyes of someone with good moral integrity, it can then be brushed off as a "test" of the person's ability in discerning the truth, making them feel inferior for not "catching" it, often solidifying the deception.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: kkrattiger

C.I.A.

Confounding Investigative Attempts?

Collated Inaccurate Archives?

Collective Internal Asshattery?

Anyone?

Well, in any case, this is not a shocker. This is why I argue that national governments should not have branches which have either the legal, or physical ability to lie to the people. Its bad enough when things are hidden for corporate reasons, like the Flint Michigan issue, which stands to cost the state as a business an awful lot of money, and let's face it, governments are run more like businesses these days than anything else. It's all about the bottom line, and the cost to benefit analysis, rather than doing right by those least able to protect themselves from the failures of others.

But it is not a surprise to hear that the CIA routinely BSes its own staff. Hell, for all we know, that could be BS as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Long time no see! I haven't been on in months. Glad to see you're still at it

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Thrash till death man!

Words to live by!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
CIA Posts Declassified UFO Documents from Its “X-Files”
mentalfloss.com

On the lighter side, this article makes it seem like people in the CIA have a sense of humor

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
They do but its sick.....theyre #ing with your heads...

top topics

join