It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big ideas that changed the world. Democracy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
So Aristides obligingly recorded his own name on the ballot.
That, to me, is the true voice of democracy.

originally posted by: theMediator
And what's wrong with that?
Any single citizen should be allowed to open a bill, it is to the voters to vote on it afterwards.

I think the point is that Aristides could have put down any name other than his own as the illiterate man would surely not know the difference. The only benefit gained by writing one’s own name, as Aristides did, was in the pursuit of democracy.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr
If you enjoyed that video I would highly recommend this book;
A People's History of the United States, by Howard Zinn

In my opinion it paints quite a different picture from the one we’ve been seeing lately claiming that our constitution is being shredded, democracy is failing and our rights are being taken away. Since the inception of the United States things have undoubtedly gotten better for average working class people.

I see the problem as going from denial to despair as no one pays any attention to the system until they believe everything is falling apart and then they react out of despair which sometimes gives the establishment cause to take our rights away. The best thing we could do to fight against such a degradation of our society is to educate ourselves.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: SprocketUK

good find!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Devino
I think the point is that Aristides could have put down any name other than his own as the illiterate man would surely not know the difference. The only benefit gained by writing one’s own name, as Aristides did, was in the pursuit of democracy.

Ahhh, I didn't think about that.
I would have done the same and write my own name too.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
People should be more educated to understand everythin which stays behind democracy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join