It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy Swaps UCLASS for Carrier-Based Aerial-Refueling System???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

The major portion of the most difficult part of the software relates to moving on deck, and launch and recovery on the deck. So it just makes sense to use the same software, and make changes as necessary to other aspects of it. It's a lot easier to alter the combat and ISR portions than it is to completely rewrite, test, change, retest, and finally certify new software.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Oh, I agree. IDK what the Navy has planned though and my experience with the military and software development was anything but good.

Your info is probably accurate, but I worry. TEH STUPID burns...and is infectious.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

It does, but from what I heard, it was Decreed that this Would Happen, and god help anyone that tries to do otherwise.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The "smart" way would have a standard platform but with a cocooned compartment that would be quickly swapped out for various roles.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

I'd go for something more dedicated to the tanker role rather than a swappable pod.

Well, I guess you could do cargo transport and a tanker though in one.

Here's an editorial in support of the shift.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

The problem is the same as they currently have with the buddy pods. To get a real tanker, you need a big airframe that's capable of holding a lot of fuel. All thus woo do is free up Hornets from doing the same role. All they're going to be able to do is give enough fuel to get more landing attempts. This is an idiotic idea even for idiotic leadership.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

They need to dust off the S-3 Vikings and use them as dedicated tankers.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

They need to bring some Whales back. They made great tankers. The last Vikings just retired, although they're talking about selling a few to South Korea.
edit on 2/4/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Can't do it. The A-3s used bridals for their cat shots and none of the newer carriers have the equipment for that any more.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Yeah, I know. Love the Whale though. That thing was a beast.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

You never had to change an engine on one. Not my favorite airplane and I still have the scars on my hands to prove it.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hm.

Besides jet fuel and fuel for other craft/vehicles and food...

What's to stop a rouge group from overtaking a carrier group? They're like a mobile air force and naval base...

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

What's to stop a rouge group from overtaking a carrier group? They're like a mobile air force and naval base...

Marines

Having a decent sized tanker that can take off and land on a carrier will require some good amount of planning.Blimps are good but speed is limited.Blended wing designs with fold out wings could work.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

I mean, what's to stop the entire crew from just saying, "screw it" and going rouge and doing their own thing, marines and all?

One carrier could practically lay waste to a small country ...

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Seriously? Ten thousand crew members or so in a battle group, the biggest part of which joined to defend their country are suddenly going to decide, at the same time to say screw that country and steal a carrier? Seriously?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Well, yeah. I'm imagining movie/book type scenarios here. Like maybe the government gets infiltrated by aliens or some foreign government and has ordered a bunch of terrible orders that most reluctantly just go along with anyway.

I mean, is there some kind of remote over ride like a USS Regan "onstar" that can just turn the reactors and lights off?

None of you guys have any sense of imagination...geeze.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

None of you guys have any sense of imagination...geeze.

Geez we have a hard time keeping up with Zaph as it is

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Don't worry, I'm sure every battle group has a Casey Ryback and a former playmate in a cake.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

True. That part will be reused. I just worry. We've both seen STOOPID infect the military several times.

Back to the UCLASS directly, the CEO of Northrop Grumman has expressed an opinion that truly autonomous UCAVs have a long, long, long ways to go.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Don't worry, I'm sure every battle group has a Casey Ryback and a former playmate in a cake.

actually rybacks are now standard aboard every carrier and battle group. when under siege it makes them hard to kill.

not all of them are assigned chef covers. they made the mistake of assigning one as a air traffic comms guy. didn't work out too well.

cuts to ryback squinting at a monitor screen whispering into a mike.
f-18 attempting to land: "what!?? repeat that. I couldn't copy" (turns to co pilot) "I can't make out a damned thing that new guy is saying!"

camera cuts back to ryback, slowly pans down. he's using two chairs in tandem to sit.

captain: "are you sure this new guy can protect the ship? he looks a bit out of shape."

XO: "they say he's the best shot in the Jefferson perish sheriff's dept. "
edit on 5-2-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join