It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gullah Wars :

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I will tell what this this thread is not, it is not about white guilt or seeking special treatment based off one's color or even suffering of slaves, it is about self determination and the masters of one's destiny a lesson anyone who views this can take away ,even under the harshest of conditions, it is in fact part of the American story.
The Gullah Wars began with the Stono rebellion

South Carolina, September 9, 1739: A band of slaves march down the road, carrying banners that proclaim "Liberty!". They shout out the same word. Led by an Angolan named Jemmy, the men and women continue to walk south, recruiting more slaves along the way. By the time they stop to rest for the night, their numbers will have approached one hundred.

What exactly triggered the Stono Rebellion is not clear. Many slaves knew that small groups of runaways had made their way from South Carolina to Florida, where they had been given freedom and land. Looking to cause unrest within the English colonies, the Spanish had issued a proclamation stating that any slave who deserted to St Augustine would be given the same treatment. Certainly this influenced the potential rebels and made them willing to accept their situation. A fall epidemic had disrupted the colonial government in nearby Charlestown (Charleston), and word had just arrived that England and Spain were at war, raising hopes that the Spanish in St. Augustine would give a positive reception to slaves escaping from Carolina plantations. But what may have actually triggered the rebellion on September 9th was the soon-to-be-enacted Security Act.

www.pbs.org...

One of the early hero of this war was an Angolan named Jemmy at first his inner group were all Angolan ,which seemed to go against the custom in the U.S as avoiding large numbers of ethnic groups to congregate in one place, add to the fact that he was literate in Portuguese, which may suggest that in his homeland of Angola he may have been a person of influence, as that nation was a Christian kingdom some two centuries prior.
The Coming Together:
There was no Seminole nations before 1814, Seminole simply meant runways similar to the term Maroons, the first world nation that joined the Gullah in Florida were in fact of Creek nation after their defeat by Andrew Jackson these people came together out of necessity and not based off superficiality like skin color in that they formed a nation within a nation , for more than 100yrs after that these people would fight off various United States Armies their journey would take them into new territories signed treaties with other nations, double back into America where some of their numbers would become Buffalo soldiers, lawmen and outlaws, I strongly recommend the link above for more info and great pics.
Thank you.
edit on 31-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

"There was a buffalo soldier,
in the heart of America,
Stolen from Africa, brought to America,
Fighting on arrival, fighting for survival..."

The immortal Bob Marley
edit on 1-2-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Excellent video Spider879, years ago I read a great deal about slavery but I had never heard of John Horse, checked some of my books, and no, no mention of him in those I have on the subject. Good find, thanks.

It's a great story and just to set it in context, this quote from Colonel William Byrd in 1736...

"We already have at least 10,000 men of these descendants of Ham fit to bear Arms, and their numbers increase every day as well by birth as Importation. And in case there should arise of Man of desperate courage amongst us, exasperated by a desperate fortune, he might with more advantage than Cataline kindle a Servile War. Such a man might be dreadfully mischievous before any opposition could be formed against him, and tinge our Rivers as wide as they are with blood." (quoted from page 34 There is a RIver, Vincent Harding)

The inability of Christians to recognise that Jesus founded a religion for slaves to set them free, he died for their sins, their shame, not their master. The Masters unless they were "good" masters, Jesus didn't cover. They had to repent. Which is why they seem, the slave owners,to have resorted to the Old Testament to justify their actions over "Ham".

I agree, the story is not about "white guilt" or even slavery, it's about hyprocrisy, on so many levels.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

"We already have at least 10,000 men of these descendants of Ham fit to bear Arms, and their numbers increase every day as well by birth as Importation. And in case there should arise of Man of desperate courage amongst us, exasperated by a desperate fortune, he might with more advantage than Cataline kindle a Servile War. Such a man might be dreadfully mischievous before any opposition could be formed against him, and tinge our Rivers as wide as they are with blood." (quoted from page 34 There is a RIver, Vincent Harding)

That quote would hold true throughout the Americas and the Isle of the Caribbean.
I must say thanks again to the ATS brass that listened to their members and made the History Forum possible,with out which a story like this would be a hard fit.

top topics

join