It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Cop Sues Blaack Teen He Killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

The fallout from this suit may have nasty results for Chicago.....The troubled city has already experienced many disturbing police killings and other abuses...
The grounds for such a suit seem rather shakey to me, but perhaps some with legal expertise can weigh in on it for us.....
All in all this ole world just gets crazier every day it seems....
This certainly will upset some in the community.....
edit on 31-1-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

It's deviant law that this should ever be contemplated. I wish the so-called FOB hacker would come out with these alleged contracts if only to see how police behaviour is affect by them...in all scenarios.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

You know if you included some quotes from the source, and some content from the link it is probable that more members would even pay attention to this story.

In fact I believe it is in the T&Cs to do more than post a link or a video, with only minimal context from the OP.

Why do you think this story matters?
Why should we even pay attention?

Why not just post a meme and say " I know right" and walk away?

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Theres not a lot to the story yet.....ive reported the news and supplied a link....the main event is yet to come....
If you have any questions read the story....

This is just another reason for more unrest in the big Windy City....as if they haven't already got problems with policing....
As far as putting in a snippet...well im not really sure how....
Perhaps you could report me to a hall monitor or some such....
I really don't see whats the problem...I thought this was a news sharing site....among other things...

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Traumatized? Because of the actions he was forced to take?

Don't become a cop. Learn how to shoot.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Information from the OP's Yahoo article link.

The lawsuit filed by Officer Robert Rialmo is a counter suit to the lawsuit filed by the family of the victim, Quintonio LeGrier. He is claiming emotional stress because LeGrier made him shoot the neighbor Bettie Jones.

Officer Rialmo shot the victim 6 times. At least one of those rounds was a through-and-through shot that killed Mrs. Jones.

Officer Robert Rialmo's lawyer released a statement indicating that his client has suffered permanent psychological damage because LeGrier's actions forced him to shoot, thus killing an innocent bystander.

He also added this statement about his client's restraint:

Rialmo also showed restraint by only firing six rounds from a gun which has 16 bullets
Yes, this 27 year old former US Marine demonstrated his very proficient self-defense skills.

Rialmo's lawyer added a final point to his statement concerning the victim's lawsuit against his client:

"Something that bothers Officer Rialmo and myself about the way this is going is the family filed the lawsuit before the funeral," Brodsky said.
"It seems like people believe now that if you have a family member killed by a police officer it's the functional equivalent of winning the lottery...
Yep, LeGrier was barely cold before his family filed the lawsuit.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The family of LeGrier is suing the Officer and the City:

A wrongful death suit filed by LeGrier's father, Antonio, argues that the teen "never had possession or control of a weapon" and was not a threat to Rialmo or anyone else at any point.

Rialmo was standing outside when he opened fire on LeGrier, who was inside the building, the lawsuit said. Antonio LeGrier is also suing for wrongful arrest after police made him leave his dying son in order to file a statement about the incident.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The City of Chicago has released very little information, other than to claim this was a justified shooting. According to the article, the City claims that LeGrier was brandishing a baseball bat and the Officer, after several verbal warnings, was forced to shoot to protect his own life. LeGrier was within a couple of feet of the Officer when he opened fire.

Even though there are differing accounts of the events of that day, there is one undeniable fact:

LeGrier, an engineering student who was struggling with mental health problems, had called 911 for help several times earlier that evening but the dispatcher did not send an officer to the house until his father called.
Here we are again dealing with Death By Cop for a mentally ill victim. This young man had called 911 several times, on his on accord, for help. But his plea was ignored. And apparently none of this information was relayed to Officer Rialmo. His lawyer indicated that his client may have acted differently if he had known that LeGrier was mentally ill.

I've said several times that the law enforcement sector needs more training in dealing with the mentally ill, or others who may be experiencing some mental health crisis. It was nice to see a link from the same Yahoo article as in the OP to this: Chicago announces new police training for dealing with mentally ill. Maybe they are finally getting the message.

-dex

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
IF the shooting was good, the cop has a good point.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I can't help wondering how differently could that Police Officer have acted because the guy he shot was wielding a baseball bat and was only, according to the article 2 ft away from him. The family had called for help so they certainly didn't have the incident under any sort of control. The question is can you kill with a baseball bat and we all know the answer to that.

The Police officer is suffering remorse because he shot an innocent victim - should any of us criticise him for that, should we all say ha! ha! part of the job harden up?

What is really, I suspect at the bottom of this case is that the family filed against the police even before the funeral took place, which some may see as their magic carpet for compensation high living for a while.

Didn't the family have any responsibility to warn the Police the man had mental difficulties and where do you draw the line of using mental health problems as an excuse to threaten people with a baseball bat? If the kid was dangerous to himself and especially others then shouldn't he have been in an institution and not wandering around?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I can't help wondering how differently could that Police Officer have acted because the guy he shot was wielding a baseball bat and was only, according to the article 2 ft away from him.
I wonder why the office didn't try to use a stun gun. Maybe he wasn't armed with one, I don't know. There's still not a lot of information being released yet by the City.

What is really, I suspect at the bottom of this case is that the family filed against the police even before the funeral took place, which some may see as their magic carpet for compensation high living for a while.
The Police Officer's attorney made the statement: "it's the functional equivalent of winning the lottery." I would think that decorum alone would have them wait until he was in the ground before filing the lawsuit. But, I'd say that some "ambulance chaser" lawyer was on the scene before the Coroner even arrived.

Didn't the family have any responsibility to warn the Police the man had mental difficulties
According to this article the victim called 911 himself 3 times, but no Police Officers or Paramedics were ever dispatched. Apparently the dispatcher hung up on him when he wouldn't tell her his name. From the news articles, there's no indication that his father, when he finally called 911, told the operator that his son was mentally ill.

and where do you draw the line of using mental health problems as an excuse to threaten people with a baseball bat?
I wouldn't call it an excuse, there's really no excuse for such violent behavior. However, I think sighting mental health issues as a reason for the behavior is valid.

If the kid was dangerous to himself and especially others then shouldn't he have been in an institution and not wandering around?
I believe that he should have been institutionalized until his condition was brought under control. In fact that may have been the reason he was calling 911 himself to begin with. His family, if they cared and understood his condition, should have been monitoring him. Sometimes people who are mentally ill won't take their meds as they are supposed to. Or the condition can worsen for other reasons. In any event they should have been aware of how to spot escalation of any violent tendencies, and taken appropriate preemptive actions.

The new source that I referenced above also said the following:

The city also plans to find ways to improve access to mental health services. Emanuel has been criticized for closing six mental health clinics in low-income, high-crime neighborhoods.
So, it's possible that he and his parents may have had difficulties in finding appropriate mental health treatment for him.

-dex

join