It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia claims HYPERSONIC fighter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Ivan say he has a manned Hypersonic fighter coming out 2025 the Mig 41
www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

That's a little premature.

Claiming it before they have flown a prototype is a little like claiming a lottery win, while never having purchased a ticket.
edit on 26-1-2016 by TrueBrit because: Bloody touch screen BS piece of....

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

At Mach 4+ it won't do much 'fighting'. Fighters have to be able to turn to fight.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

At Mach 4+ it won't do much 'fighting'. Fighters have to be able to turn to fight.

its not going to be fighting' like wings its going to be used to drop a nuke get the # in get the # out

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I am guessing the engine is going to have two modes. Max thrust, and combat settings basically. For combat it will allow variable speeds depending on the requirements of the fight it is in, and in the max thrust mode, it will just bugger off over the horizon like a shot.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx

its not going to be fighting' like wings its going to be used to drop a nuke get the # in get the # out

Then its a bomber, not a fighter.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I'm not an expert on Russian fighter jet development, but if the F-35 is any sort of precedent to go by. It will be more like 2040.

They should have titled their announcement "Developing hypersonic fighter hoping for deployment by 2025(barring cost overruns and development setbacks".

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Of course the fighter will fly mach4+ from the start and can´t throttle down...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I wonder how long it can fight / loiter and then 'max thrust' for home?

Fuel load becomes a consideration.

Fighters already 'bug out' to escape danger by maneuver, at times using clouds and or terrain for cover.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

It depends what fuel they are running. To make something that fast, and effective in the aspects you so wisely identified, an alternative fuel mix may have to be involved, possibly a duel fuel system. It may have to carry an advanced fuel for max power runs, which offers more punch per pound of expended fuel, and a less powerful mixture for combat manoeuvres.

Certainly seems a stretch to announce the craft before any of its parts, fuels, or other unique adaptations are actually viable technologically though.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx

Then its a bomber, not a fighter.

id agree to that

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Certainly seems a stretch to announce the craft before any of its parts, fuels, or other unique adaptations are actually viable technologically though.

Agreed. They could be announcing it like so many other projects to make the US spend more money defeating their Hypo-thetical, hypo-sonic threat.

I'm working on a magic wand that will stop war forever.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I'll worry about it when I hear anyone breaking the 8 minute barrier. Until then, it's just a paper tiger. Although Mach 4 isn't hypersonic.
edit on 1/26/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
hypersonicLTE

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Technically it's an interceptor, it'll be like the ME 262's vs prop driven aircraft in WW2 not to mention the aircraft won't be flown constantly at mach 4+ it's just hypersonic to get to the fight quicker, which is the whole purpose of interceptor aircraft, to intercept the enemy before they reach their target

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech
Foxhound on steroids.

It will not have any capability to "fight" though, unless they come up with some very radical VG.

But it would be able to get within missile range of a bomber in a hurry.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The Foxhound is a terrible dogfighter too. Amazing interceptor though.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

If crude oil prices stay low, it'll never happen. The Russian economy is in poor shape now.

able to intercept even the hypersonic drones now being developed in the United States

Really? X-51A Waverider demonstrator and theoretical SR-72 = Mach 6, hypothetical MIG-41 = Mach 4.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

The russian economy is going into a complete meltdown: the oil price has fallen, far far below the cost of extraction, but they cannot stop pumping or they would damage their fields. They're also not in a position to just hold the crude and wait for better market conditions either. Had they not messed with Ukraine, they have been, but...

They've radically scaled back their space plans and we have, here, been watching as they scale back the PAK-FA, postpone the PAK-DA, etc.

What's more, the MiG-41 is not slated to be STARTED until 2020 (general stealth update here).

Please, remember when the MinDef of Russia stated the PAK-DA was going to be a hypersonic bomber and be in service by 2015 (IIRC). Its not going to be and its definitely not in service.

This is just a prop piece: Russia is STRONK.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I liked the ram style nose that they showed representing it,I would really doubt they would look like THAT.
I just found the article interesting.
About the only weapon it would use would be a energy weapon of some type.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join