It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What-They-Havent-Told-You-about-Climate-Change

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: rickymouse

We humans do not have the ability to destroy all life on this planet. Microbes are life. Life always finds a way.

We certainly need to treat the Earth as the life keeper she is. Respect her and helping to keep her healthy helps us as well. A win-win.

doesnt matter that we cant kill every life on this planet. it only matters if we can kill ourselves.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well if there is going to be a drastic climate shift, I'm sure the best way for humanity to survive it is for us to stop using energy and go back to living at a near subsistence level. I'm sure that will ensure there is no extinction event.

It's worth a shot, but I see us completely abandoning technology to be a much longer shot than actually trying to attempt make our technology work alongside nature.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Well if there is going to be a drastic climate shift, I'm sure the best way for humanity to survive it is for us to stop using energy and go back to living at a near subsistence level. I'm sure that will ensure there is no extinction event.

The population of the Earth is seven billion; some areas can feed their population only by importing crops, which requires energy. Trying to feed that population using subsistence level agriculture would cause an extinction vent.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Didn't that go without saying? Rolling back technology on such a massive scale would CERTAINLY cause a mass die-off of people. Hence why I said implementing such a plan would be a long shot.

To be honest, it really doesn't fix anything either. Sure it could save the environment. For now. But it sets the stage for humanity to repeat the same mistakes it made previously all over again. And let's not pretend like humans ever actually learn from their mistakes. It takes a great many screw-ups on humanity's part before we get the lesson, and even then many still can't learn.

But hey she brought it up as an idea, and it is something that we should at the least keep on the back burner. Just in case all other options fail.
edit on 26-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

You do know that even NOW we can attribute various hotspots and localized wars as a direct result of the changing climate right? As the climate changes more and more drastically, expect those wars and hotspots to intensify and multiply. Heck, climate change could potentially trigger WWIII. Land is a precious resource and when it starts to disappear, those people need somewhere to go.

That's a very interesting point. Actually, to me this sounds like a complex system that is attempting to autonomously come back into convergence. As these violent conflicts reduce the population, the inevitable result is the reduction of fossil fuel usage. Since CO2 from fossil fuel combustion is believed to be the primary driver of climate change, reduced consumption from a reduced population would achieve what diplomacy is currently unable to do.

A significantly reduced population could achieve climate stability without the need to regress to a pre-industrial revolution lifestyle.

-dex

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Oooor we could just switch to a 21st century paradigm of healthy, sustainable practices and renewable energy that we already have all the technology for, the only difference being a bunch of rich old conservatives don't make nearly as much money letting people the peons conserve and produce their own energy.

But your way sounds good too: you're generating about 1.21 jigawatts of hyperbole there, plenty enough to keep warm through those cold winter nights.

edit on 26-1-2016 by mc_squared because: no reason given forgot the strike

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Come on, I don't mean to insult anybody, but not knowing that the Earth was a hell of a lot warmer during the age of dinosaurs? I mean, how could you expect cold blooded reptiles to thrive so well and grow so big if there were snow and ice everywhere? Although I guess, it's not probably somebody's fault if they don't know that. In some schools the educations is a bit.... you know.

The climate has fluctuated a lot. I can't remember when exactly, some hundreds of years ago, they were growing grapes in England because it was warmer than it is now. But then they got hit with that little weeny ice age and their grapes did die and they had to buy their wines from France again. French conspiracy? Maybe.

Wow, I should have been a history teacher.

But it is good that there are videos like this which help to elucidate the issue for many people.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Well it's believed that the Native Americans caused man-made climate change of their own by JUST deforesting the the Americas. Not even burning more CO2. Then when they died out after Columbus arrived due to disease, the trees grew back and caused the Mini-Ice Age in Europe.

So you'd be surprised what we as humans can do that affects the climate. Just slashing large parts of our population isn't going to solve the problem as to our technology that negatively affects the climate. As soon as the population grows back, the problem will just return.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Winter is coming.....

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
Winter is coming.....

hahahah and many records will be broken !

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: vjr1113

ALL lives matter.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: mc_squared

Oooor we could just switch to a 21st century paradigm of healthy, sustainable practices and renewable energy that we already have all the technology for, the only difference being a bunch of rich old conservatives don't make nearly as much money letting people the peons conserve and produce their own energy.

Extinction level event, or paying fractionally more for coal and petroleum in a TAX whose revenues are recycled for other purposes? Clearly the second is much worse for some.

I wish that climate change were a terrorist plot.
edit on 27-1-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So you'd be surprised what we as humans can do that affects the climate. Just slashing large parts of our population isn't going to solve the problem as to our technology that negatively affects the climate.

Does light drinking instead of binge drinking help with reducing hangovers?

As soon as the population grows back, the problem will just return.

Well, then let's not do that.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
I suppose my question is about the three known periods of hot and cold over the last 2000 years. Continents were more or less in the same position plus or minus a foot or two yet during Roman times it was hotter.

Globally it wasn't. And our rate of heat increase now is high and going up much higher for known reasons---that's the problem.

Dark ages (much war back during that time period as people fled to greener pastures; Vikings left Greenland ...to darn cold)) and then there was a warming period and another cold period about 300 years ago.. Natural oscillations in temperature due to Earth's orbit and planetary axis tilt has got to play a role in such things IMO.

Indeed. It's also scientific fact. It's also fact that the change in temperatures due to Earths orbits and planetary axis contributes to a cooling which has been going on since about 6000 to 8000 BC----until modern times with fossil fuel use.

As it turns out, a little bit of CO2 injection is good---if we were to stabilize temps where we are now or tad cooler. But we aren't, it's rocketing up and that's the problem. Not where it is now, but the rate of change and the future which is baked in due to laws of physics.

I agree many of the earth bound temp sensors are in cities where there is a heat sink but hopefully the slide rule boys and girls factor that in (doubt they do) however that would not have any bearing on the supposedly newer better and more accurate satellite data.

The people who do this for a living have been doing accurate cross calibrations for many decades. They take into account many more things than you or I know about.

There has been independent replication (See Mueller and the Berkeley Earth Project from a former sceptic).

Satellite data is not the same, it's an addition. There are also thousands of weather balloons launched every day gathering data and ocean-going probes.

The video is just one more thought process on what is going on with earth's climate and as I said, the cycles of cold and hot he brought up during the video and last 2000 years was interesting to me.. Can Anyone show where he was wrong ?

The existence of natural climate change does nothing to eliminate the existence of human-induced climate change, when there is overwhelming observational evidence for it, and a firmly proven objective scientific mechanism arising from incontrovertible lab-proven physics.

All natural climate change also has mechanistic, science based causes, and to assert that natural climatic influences are causing and dominating currently observed climate changes also requires strong scientific observational evidence and theoretical understanding. People have been looking for that for many years and do not find strong natural causes which explain observations and do find strong unnatural causes which explain observations.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So you'd be surprised what we as humans can do that affects the climate. Just slashing large parts of our population isn't going to solve the problem as to our technology that negatively affects the climate.

Does light drinking instead of binge drinking help with reducing hangovers?

As soon as the population grows back, the problem will just return.

Well, then let's not do that.

You don't believe that humans actually learn from their mistakes do you? Because everything I've seen about human behavior is that as soon as the problem fades from the collective consciousness, humans will immediately start making those mistakes again.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Volchitsa

Come on, I don't mean to insult anybody, but not knowing that the Earth was a hell of a lot warmer during the age of dinosaurs?

The dinosaurs didn't farm or live in big cities on the coast.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: vjr1113

ALL lives matter.

then dont eat anything but sterile water. i agree all life matters, but not as much as my life.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

It is a terrorist plot, it's just that the terrorists are white old men whose name rhymes with.. dock? or broke.. depending on how you view them..

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

How TRUE. People on earth need to CLEAN UP, their act. Plant some tree's. Recycle and do YOUR PLANET some good for a change. DO something about it. Tree Hugger here says be active in your community all you have to DO is recycle. Let their be green.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: operayt

How TRUE. People on earth need to CLEAN UP, their act. Plant some tree's. Recycle and do YOUR PLANET some good for a change. DO something about it. Tree Hugger here says be active in your community all you have to DO is recycle. Let their be green.

It's strange, we listed to people who had something to gain and ignored those who had nothing to gain.

I think the environmental groups were infected with corporation paid instigators that riled up people to cause destrucion and by this forced public sentiment against the environmental groups.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join