It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK Court of Appeals: Michael Bever to be tried as an adult

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Ok, so this is an older story. I felt as though it needed to be looked at in a prospective manor. The boy's Michael and Robert Bever killed their parents and siblings in a discusting and devilish method. The killings were premeditated and they even video taped the murders.

Now, the younger monster is pleading to be tried as a juvenile. My best thought process on this is that they both rot in hell..... I want to hear from you fellow ATS'ers... Aside from theses fick little suckers, did thier gaming lead to this sickening crime? Did their upbringing in a strict home schooling atmosphere fuel this rampage??? Should the 16yr old be tried as a juvenile? Is the court being bias?

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals says one of two teenage brothers accused in the stabbing deaths of their parents and three siblings should be tried as an adult, despite his age.

The court on Thursday upheld a ruling by a Tulsa County judge who denied Michael Bever's request to be tried as a youthful offender.

Bever and his 19-year-old brother, Robert Bever, are charged in Tulsa County with five counts of first-degree murder in the July attack that killed their parents and siblings, the youngest of whom was 5.

Here is a link about these hidious little b@$tars and the original crime for your assessment values.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

But...but....

They're innocent little snowflakes of PURITY!!!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Right Null!! Exactly what some folk are saying around here...sadly

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
You want to play like an adult, you pay like an adult.

The punishment should fit the crime, so in this case about 500 years for the sick child killers should just about do it.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Holy Toledo ... I mean Oklahoma.

Those kids are sociopaths. Who could do something like that ... to their own family?

Let 'em fry. They'll never fit into society.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Like I mentioned, it's an old story, but needed to re-surface. These little sick fother muckers
premeditated murders of inocent family..... sad.... had you heard of this before?

Thanks for posting

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I don't know but, I have a personal experience with a juvenile (legal def) being tried as an adult (they were really close to adulthood though as they were 17 at the time the crime was committed).
This person was mentally ill, paranoid schizophrenic to be exact.
He committed a murder.
He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
Befitting the crime (IMO) as although he claimed the "voices" told him to do it, he attempted to conceal the crime by getting rid of the bloody clothes AND the weapon.

His mother was a patient at a mental hospital so, is it hereditary?
I digress, my point is that even though what he did was horrible and changed many lives. Had he received proper mental health treatment possibly it would have never happened. The "voices" told him to kill HIS family members as well, however he did not get to that...
AND, furthermore, he (IMO) will NEVER receive the proper (and likely hasn't) treatment in prison...so...we will pay to house and physically care for this particular monster until he dies...which could be a long time as he has appealed and been denied up to just two years ago!

I'm not sure about these particular monsters in your OP. Do you think that maybe there are just sick and twisted individuals and no matter what there will always be? And that we as a society will never be able to help them or their victims enough?

Maybe some people should be culled? That's hard for me to say but, I only say it as I don't have the answers...

I'm going to watch it snow, drink, and ponder life for awhile, my friend...

edit on 23-1-2016 by TNMockingbird because: see above

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I don't often say it and do not believe in capital punishment..but put them to sleep, at the very least they never see outside again.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
They were good boys just under-educated with no opportunities and living in poverty.

edit on 23-1-2016 by PresidentCamacho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Interesting how most ove look the 'whys' and jump straight to emotional posts concerning punishments.

Society has conditioned us to not question hard situations.

Especially when mental illness could be involved.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Place him against a wall...no blindfold.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I don't know of any children (nieces and nephews included) that are raised in a good home, strong educated parents and work ethic, that would even consider contemplating a plan of such derragened measure.

In other words, normal (yes hard to define today) children do not partake in this type of behavior. ..

Thanks for posting Tbird

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I can't continue to read this thread anymore.

It's sad.

ATS is broken. If it's not hate then it's narrow minded crap like this.

EDIT ... Sorry... I replied to you but it's not directed at you. Sorry.
edit on 23-1-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

This is a good point And... I think whilst looking outside of the box; many factors come into play here. Without overlooking the obvious, (if you read the links and history) these kids were playing out a video game in their diminished minds. Could it be mental illness? Hell yes, but the fact remains, it was premeditated execution...

They will have their day in court.

Thanks for posting

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Their gaming? You just lost any credibility / respect any gamers on here might have for you. I remember the game Operation Wolf. I never shot anybody. I watch horror films. I never killed anyone (that didn't deserve it). I drive. I don't run people over for points (Deathrace 2000 and some video games)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

It's ok And. Understood. It is sad..but needs to be disected.

Thanks for posting

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: uktorah

Sorry you feel that way Uk. Had you read the article, you would have clearly read where it eluded to 'gaming'

In one of the videos, he mentions wanting newer computer equipment so that he could play the updated version of Minecraft.

The thread is not about you BTW; it's about what lead to the murder of a family by a couple of nut job teen agers.

At any rate, thanks but no thanks for contributing.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Living in the area, I'm familiar with the story. I don't know what gaming had to do with it, but I know the media likes to put suspects being gamers on full blast whenever they encounter it. I can assure you, there are plenty of messed up individuals out there that didn't get that way from playing video games.

I'd lean toward execution, but only because we lack the infrastructure in this nation to effectively reform criminal behavior. Education is the most effective way to reduce recidivism. If you want to reform your criminals, educate them. Most of the criminal activity in this world can be blamed on ignorance, or lack of education. In TheBadCabbie's personal utopia, all prisons would provide university level accreditted courses to all inmates free of charge.

There is no owner's manual to being human. We get spun out into the world, and we get what we get. Some make the best of it and develop effective coping skills, others do not. I think most of us have done stupid things when we were younger. I didn't kill my whole damn family, and neither did most of you; but if you think about it long enough, I'm sure you can remember a few facepalm moments in your personal history. I'm not defending these boys, I'm really not. Misguided? Surely. Sick? Probably. Evil incarnate? The psychologist in me is not so sure of that last assessment.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

The Bad..

Thanks. great response. .education, of course. ..I had a bad past w/Fam damly, but didn't execute them.

Thanks for posting

top topics

join