It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frozen Animal Brought Back to Life After 30 Years

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
So the next logical step is to genetically engineer massive biomechanical Tardigrades that we can deploy to nearby solar systems that can perform a "tun" transformation. With said technology we could exoplore even the harshest of environments, especially with adaptive shielding of sorts and some awesome new tech developed from the new models of physics. Yes? Hell yes.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
a reply to: Skid Mark

The article states they eat moss, they suck juices from the plant. They will eat tiny animals called nematodes and rotifers that also live in moss. They will also eat other tardigrades.

ETA:

Uhhmmmm, okay...... they're EVERYWHERE. There are at least 1,000 known varieties. We most likely ingest them on a daily basis!

If you eat fresh lettuce, you've probably done the experiment already.

Tardigrades are pretty ubiquitous in nature and you can collect plenty of them from freshly cut lettuce, spinach and other garden greens, as demonstrated by the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh in a citizen science activity.

Just don't tell your vegetarian friends.

www.quora.com...
< br />

Soooo, do they make it out of the digestive tract intact? Seems like they would. Now every time I visit the loo I am going to think about swimming bears. Huh.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: artnut
Don't worry. They never go upstream.

I think.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: artnut
Don't worry. They never go upstream.

I think.

The rest of that quote said they are found on cut lettuce and spinach. Bottoms up?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Wow what an interesting creature and the planet never ceases to amaze me. I think I might try to get my kids interested in raising a few of these.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

tardus gradus means "slow step" in case you thought tardigrade means "hard-grade", just in case, could be a misreading from me.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Then it could not have been truly dead. It had to be in some kind of stasis. It's cute though. Looks like a stuffed animal.

I wrote a post (up ^there^ somewhere) about a frog that lives in the Arctic. As winter approaches and its habitat starts to freeze, the frog must also freeze.
When the time is right the frog goes to sleep, while its sleeping every cell in its body becomes separated from every other cell by a coating of sugar. Once all the cells are separated and coated with sugar the frog freezes solid!
It should be noted that although the cells are coated in sugar, they are frozen! The sugar is only there to enable the cells to freeze without rupturing.

While in this frozen state, is the frog alive or dead?
I remember people who believe in god were upset because scientists were saying the frog is dead while it's in this state, and yet, it comes back to life in the spring!

You used the word "Stasis" which is why I replied.
From watching movies we take on the idea that its a deep sleep, but why couldn't it be a temporary death?

If we place a person into a freezer they will die and freeze solid, and I'm sure we would agree they would be completely dead.
If we place another person in the freezer, coat their cells in sugar, and then let them freeze solid, are they not dead too?

So, Stasis could mean - Dead but without damage? without damage means the body can be restarted.

edit on 25-1-2016 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
and now to complete a simple extra-terrestrial food chain:

www.livescience.com...

so load these sorts of things up on a probe and send them to the oceans of europa along with the tardigrades.

The tardigrades have something to eat. And a million years later...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join