It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Doesn’t Silicon Valley Hire Black Coders?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: interupt42

a reply to: interupt42

According to you and your logic a thread about the concern of current trends that appear to hinder the progress made to fight racism is racist?

Everyone is created equal… what racism?

You tell me, you are the one claiming racism?

Sorry, the conversation ended when you called me a racist.

I'm a racist, I own a colored tv and make it work like you wouldn't believe. lol jk

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I'm from Butler, just up Route 8. The Engineer that I spoke about was from Wilkensburg.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

According to you and your logic a thread about the concern of current trends that appear to hinder the progress made to fight racism is racist?

You keep getting funnier as you were the one making the initial racist accusations.

Come on, Man up or Women up and admit that you were wrong by grasping at straws by saying that using the words "apparently" and "technically" was a sneaky way of hiding a racist post.

Do you not agree that falsely assuming and making accusation of racism as not a good thing for anyone including the black community.

Those false accusation are not only dangerous but unconstructive and damaging to all the efforts that have been made to fight racism in this country.

edit on 34131America/ChicagoThu, 21 Jan 2016 13:34:48 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

I'm a racist, I own a colored tv and make it work like you wouldn't believe. lol jk

Thanks, I was raised racist, not out and out like aryanbs, the quiet segregation kind of racist. My parents wouldn't know what to say to a black person. They would be really uncomfortable having to actually interact with other than white skinned folk. This trickled down to me. In our household growing up we watched Disney(lol), John Wayne and shopped at White Front. My dad was an engineer at Lockheed and my mom from Germany, raised from childhood during the NAZI Reich.

We were whiter than white raised in White, Middle Class Hell. The first black person I saw in person was a 'Fuller Brush Boy' (anyone remember them) came knocking at the front door. I remember being pretty much a jerk and asking my mom why his lips were so big.

Cracka ass cracka, dirty white boy, white trash, I have no problem with the labels, I earned them…

Since reformed, Imo.
edit on 21-1-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I remember back in the day when televisions were equal strictly black and white, I suppose I fell off that wagon long ago with the introduction of the "westinghouse" 52 inch flat screen HD tv...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Thanks, I was raised racist, not out and out like aryanbs, the quiet segregation kind of racist

Well for the record I'm not white I'm Hispanic and not born in this country and I'm married to a White women and we have a biracial child.

I have also been on the receiving end of racism so I know that racism still exists. However, it exist on ALL sides not just people of white color.

My concern is the one sided picture that the MSM focuses on , because nobody likes to be grouped as a victim and nor does any group of people like to be seen as the villain for the most part.

This strategy is doing nothing to unite the people and its actually causing tension and undoing some of the great progress that has been made to combat racism.

Right now the MSM and certain members within the black community jump automatically to racism as the culprit of numerous issues involving persons of color. Even before any facts are released or looked into, and the MSM runs with it. Now don't get me wrong because you have the white people who also do the opposite and claim racism wasn't involved off the bat as well.

Those type of accusation from both sides and without evidence is wrong because discrimination and stereotyping is wrong , no matter what race or color is the person.

The funny thing is that back in the 80's the MSM was also one sided because everyone accused of a crime and displayed on tv was BLACK. Now they have gone the exact opposite to vilify the White people. I didn't like it then and don't like now.

I actually think the worst thing for the Black community is embracing this mentality of being quick to draw the racist card, because it takes focus away from what the problem might actually be.

I'm just suggesting that falsely jumping to the race card is actually harmful to everyone including the Black community. It does nothing to help the fight against racism, while It actually does the opposite.

edit on 28131America/ChicagoThu, 21 Jan 2016 14:28:21 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
And the victimization train continues to roll along.

Choo choooo

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Whats funny is, I work for a native Sovereign Nation, in IT.

Preferential hiring for tribal memebers is the mainstay, and we are quite open about it!

Us injuns get first pick and no one can do anything about it because we are a sovereign nation unto ourselves. Many have tried though....

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I moved for college, and according to demographic statistics, somewhere between 30-40% of the city population here is black. Now... Part of the reason I moved here for college is because it's cheap. Even without scholarships, it's cheap. College is available for everyone here... If you can't pay for it, you get a loan, and financial aid takes care of it for you. After you graduate, you get a job and pay it off.
Now remember how I said somewhere between 30-40% of the population here is black? Accordingly, about half the employees at my job are black, but I've seen maybe... 4 blacks at my college. Lots of Hispanics and students from other countries, but practically no blacks. I had class with one and I'm certain he failed because he wasn't even able to do the class projects. I talked to a black coworker one day and she told me she WAS going to college, but she failed her classes.
The problem isn't that companies aren't hiring blacks. The problem lies elsewhere. Make of it what you will.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
You are definitely onto something here, I have also noticed this.

-MM

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Because whites were taught Tricknology 120°.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Britguy
White men can't jump, Black men can't code!

Firstly, many white folks can't get those coding jobs either as all the asians are brought in to do it cheaper. Secondly, before crying racism, provide stats for how many black coders have applied and been turned down for those jobs, with the same stats for whites.

I am quite sure racism has nothing to do with it.

hah This!

The problem is, People no longer celebrate their differences, but rather criticize them.

The world is f*ckd up after all x3
It's a f*ckd up World. lalala etc x3. - music rewrite to 'it's a small world after all'.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
All PC bull# aside...

It's because there aren't any.

Why I have no idea but it's probably more likely a fact than not a fact.

Many Asians are coders, Indians too, they keep putting my friends out of work.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I worked in a University in IT for 25 years. There was always a push to hire more underrepresented minorities in the IT field there.

The problem is that there just were not very many programmers that were Black.

The IT workers tended to be Asian, Indian, and White. I would guess that 10-20 % were women.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Story on Bloomberg West today for those interested.

-MM

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
link to the msm report?

I also experienced this. As it is a fact then where
is the innate quality missing in the other people
that are not white?

With experience in coding graphical interfaces
and working and coding in Sunnyvale I know it
appears that when using an American white male
to code the end result will be superior.

Being a racist means that a person resents anyone not
like themselves with emotionally felt predjudice and
hatred. A company may feel and act racist. Racism
can be perpetrated on any racial group. Recognizing
that one race is inferior to another in some particular
area of human endeavor is not being racist but scientific.

a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

edit on 22-1-2016 by Drawsoho because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2016 by Drawsoho because: Add detail

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Drawsoho

Here you go:

Bloomberg West: How Tech Giants Tackle Silicon Valley’s Diversity Problem

-MM
edit on 22-1-2016 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
I worked in a University in IT for 25 years. There was always a push to hire more underrepresented minorities in the IT field there.

The problem is that there just were not very many programmers that were Black.

The IT workers tended to be Asian, Indian, and White. I would guess that 10-20 % were women.

This!

At my university there are hardly any black folks studying programming, they are all studying humanities, business, sociology, and engineering, in that order. Further it seems like everyone who would be labelled as black and is in programming or engineering is a refuge or first generation immigrant.

I don't think I have met a single black woman in engineering or computer science in the several years I have been studying. Plenty of women in general, about 15-20% of the student body most likely.

I honestly do not understand why though. Most of popular "black" culture seems to be focused on music, followed by fashion and vehicles. A love of music and cars seems like it would make a simple transition into computers (programming or hardware for music production) and cars for mechanical work.

Boggles my mind, truly.

But then I see who the most vocal activists are and come to the sudden realization as to why they can't find anyone in the field to work with.

Engineering and programming is a whole different world, haha let me tell you.

-FBB

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Er ... maybe it's because black people aren't learning to become coders, or can't handle themselves professionally in an interview?

Maybe they're just not the best candidate for the job.

I'm sick and tired of hearing "why aren't black people doing this or that, or getting nominated for OSCARS, or, or or".

I've never seen a race so intent on making sure that everyone else thinks that they're being held back because of their race.

Many other races and people of color face racism as well, but get things done, work hard, and get jobs. You don't hear Asians whining that there aren't any Asian actors being picked for the OSCARS.

Affirmative Action has created an era where people think they should get stuff just because they're black, not because they're the best candidate, or the best actor etc etc etc.

Sometimes you're not the best, and your skin color has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I dated a black woman for many years, and am far from a racist person, but sometimes, you're just not the best candidate.

The girl I dated often WAS the best candidate, and got hired for many things while we dated. Simply because she WAS the best person for the job. She's now an international nurse with Doctors Without Borders.

Black people DO get chosen for the good stuff, but like everyone else, have to learn that you have to work hard to become the best, that it won't just get handed to you through things like Affirmative Action.

I know I'll get flamed for this post, just trying to tell people that there are some hard truths out there.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Has someone polled the number of black people that are actually in coding courses in University to see if there's a correlation to just a low number of black people taking programming ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join