It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow Storm Forecast to Wallop East Coast Takes Shape Over Plains

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

UN, we have the same SOLID work ethic!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowChatter

Why does that meteorologist feel the need to be so dramatic? FFS!

It's winter. It snows. Sometimes alot. Why does everything on TV need to be hyped up?
Oh yeah. Ratings. Views. Money.

If you live in areas that get snow in the winter, then you should already be prepared and have supplies. Using caution while driving is common sense but even today I see it is lacking in several groups. There have been "record" storms since before we started measuring it, and it isn't going to dramatically stop now. Good grief people act like its the first time we ever got a foot or more or snow.

I see alot of this type of over reaction these days. Mainly from people trying to invoke emotion from the masses. In reality, we have no idea how bad it was 300 years ago, or 3000 years ago. So these "record' storms are all about hype and selling fear. Some of the information we base it from is less than 150 years old. 150 years isn't even a drop of water in an ocean's worth of time. Its a hydrogen atom.

Amazing.
Be safe people.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Here's an idea.

Get a bit of old carpet the length and width of your garden path, or several lengths of old carpet, to track down your driveway, to the street.

Lay your carpet. When it snows, the snow will fall on the carpet, rather than directly onto the part you want kept clear of snow. In the morning, find the edge of your carpet nearest your house. Lift up the end of the carpet, and then roll it over. Keep rolling. If you are doing it right, you end up with a Swiss Roll made of carpet and snow, that you can roll off to the side, and one pristine path way as well.

In the case of a drive, get two long lengths of carpet, and lay them out, along the track your cars tyres would normally take to the street. Perform the same jiggery pokery as before. You now have a drivable driveway, and now only have to deal with the snow on the street.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Here's an idea.

Get a bit of old carpet the length and width of your garden path, or several lengths of old carpet, to track down your driveway, to the street.

Lay your carpet. When it snows, the snow will fall on the carpet, rather than directly onto the part you want kept clear of snow. In the morning, find the edge of your carpet nearest your house. Lift up the end of the carpet, and then roll it over. Keep rolling. If you are doing it right, you end up with a Swiss Roll made of carpet and snow, that you can roll off to the side, and one pristine path way as well.

In the case of a drive, get two long lengths of carpet, and lay them out, along the track your cars tyres would normally take to the street. Perform the same jiggery pokery as before. You now have a drivable driveway, and now only have to deal with the snow on the street.

I kind of have that now on a much smaller scale. I have a welcome mat outside my front door and after it snows I pull it up and it gives me a good app. three square foot clear area as a starting point for my shoveling the front walk.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I feel like that idea sounds great in theory, but would be a huge pain in practice. Like if the snow piled up too much, you'd never be able to lift the rug/mat and start rolling it. I could see it working if it only snowed like a few inches or so though.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Inventory for this weekend:

Mad Elf
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Chimay Grand Reserve
La Chouffe
Ni'ice Chouffe
Lindeman's Framboise Lambic
Sam Smith Organic Lager
St. Bernardus

Am I missing anything?

Party at the Roma house!!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomaSempre
Inventory for this weekend:

Mad Elf
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Chimay Grand Reserve
La Chouffe
Ni'ice Chouffe
Lindeman's Framboise Lambic
Sam Smith Organic Lager
St. Bernardus

Am I missing anything?

Party at the Roma house!!

Primarily Belgian? I'm there!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
2-3 Weeks ago we had snowmagadon starting Friday night. All said and done we got about 3". So I called the work line and they said come in if you could do it safely. I did but about 50% skipped out.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

True, we will be 60 on Sunday here in the mid-west- but will have snow and ice tonight!

I remember a few years ago we were in the 70's in February

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I can push a roll that will end up about seven feet thick if I need to. It's been a hell of a long time since last I did it though. Our weather down here can be utterly pathetic for years on end.
I miss snow!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Well if you got experience with it, who am I to argue?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
After a relatively dry Christmas season, we're happy for any snow. By the looks of it, the storm might be missing us.

Prepped, just in case. All that's left to do is buy the beer
edit on 21-1-2016 by PhantomOrion because: revision

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: PhantomOrion

Never ENOUGH beer! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I`m near the edge of the storm and the weather people around here aren`t very good at their jobs so I expect we`ll get no snow at all or a whole lot of snow.I guess I`ll get prepared just in case.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

"Why does that meteorologist feel the need to be so dramatic? FFS! "

Lol. I've been turning on CNN for the giggle factor. It's true that any amount of pure ice on the road makes for treacherous conditions, but there's piles of road salt just sitting there, waiting until it's a complete disaster!
Ratings?
They knew it was going to be icy, it seems they do this every year....

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

What part of the city are you in?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
a reply to: ReadLeader

THIS is so true of a lot of cities in the South...

our city is not equipped to deal w/it

I've lived up north and they are!

I've lived down south and we are not!

Remember about two years ago...maybe...Atlanta was devastated from the ice that came...

At 3:38 AM, on January 28, the winter storm warning was expanded northward, to include all except the northern exurbs.[4] Despite this coming more than two hours before school systems' 6 am deadline to call off classes and notify local media, and the fact that the previous advisory predicted plenty enough snow to make driving dangerous, and that prior releases noted the northward trend may require expansion of the warning, many superintendents, including those of Douglas County Schools, Cobb County Schools, Marietta City Schools, Fulton County Schools, DeKalb County Schools, Decatur City Schools, Cherokee County Schools, Paulding County School District and Gwinnett County Schools, failed to cancel school until it was too late. Some superintendents apologized, including those for Douglas and Atlanta, while Cobb superintendent Hinojosa refused to acknowledge his failure, and even went so far as to claim that he "wouldn't have done anything different", despite students being stuck on school buses for hours, and some having to spend the night in schools.[5]

I know it's not the same but, thanks for the warning...
Gulf Coast Storm

Another interesting snowstorm...
The Blizzard of '93

But, really, no one NEEDS an excuse to go buy stuff (liquor) it's just nice to HAVE one!

Ice is the worst. I'm "up north" and we've got plows and trucks to spray the beet juice crap on the streets instead of spreading salt, but ice gets everywhere. Sidewalks, driveways, porches, around the side of the house, anywhere you least expect it. My thoughts are with the people in the path of the storm.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

My personal theory on that is yes, the city has abundant supplies of salt on hand and with a warmer that average winter, most city budgets are in the black for snow removal.

We just went through this a few weeks ago with an ice storm here in Wisconsin. The city didn't get the salt trucks out until a few HOURS into the storm.

I honestly think that the cities sit back and wait a while to salt until there have been a few car accidents, the city has made a few bucks on ticket revenue, THEN they put the crews out on the road. The storm that hit us had been hyped all over the Weather Channel and Accuweather the entire day before. There is no way the city could have been surprised and caught unprepared when it came through Monday morning.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I'm stocked up and ready. We have 4 bottles of Salted Carmel Whiskey, 1 case Yuengling, every chip you can think of, 2 family bags of peanut butter m&m, oh yeah, and bread, milk and gas.

It is supposed to start here in southern WV at 5am tomorrow. They are calling for 18-24 inches here with a possible 1/4 inch ice.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I live in North Carolina a few minutes from Charlotte.

Already went to Walmart for bread and milk.

We are supposed to see sleet and ice to start by midnight, then turning to snow.

Truthfully, I don't expect to see to much of an accumulation, the weatherman said we might get 1 to 3 inches of snow here.

All schools are closed tomorrow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join