It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow Storm Forecast to Wallop East Coast Takes Shape Over Plains

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
a reply to: UnBreakable

I'M ~EN ROUTE NOW

Come on over. Just bring your shovel. My plan Sat. night is to shovel for five minutes, stop and drink a beer, then repeat until my property is shoveled or I run out of beer.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

THIS is so true of a lot of cities in the South...

our city is not equipped to deal w/it

I've lived up north and they are!

I've lived down south and we are not!

Remember about two years ago...maybe...Atlanta was devastated from the ice that came...

At 3:38 AM, on January 28, the winter storm warning was expanded northward, to include all except the northern exurbs.[4] Despite this coming more than two hours before school systems' 6 am deadline to call off classes and notify local media, and the fact that the previous advisory predicted plenty enough snow to make driving dangerous, and that prior releases noted the northward trend may require expansion of the warning, many superintendents, including those of Douglas County Schools, Cobb County Schools, Marietta City Schools, Fulton County Schools, DeKalb County Schools, Decatur City Schools, Cherokee County Schools, Paulding County School District and Gwinnett County Schools, failed to cancel school until it was too late. Some superintendents apologized, including those for Douglas and Atlanta, while Cobb superintendent Hinojosa refused to acknowledge his failure, and even went so far as to claim that he "wouldn't have done anything different", despite students being stuck on school buses for hours, and some having to spend the night in schools.[5]

I know it's not the same but, thanks for the warning...
Gulf Coast Storm

Another interesting snowstorm...
The Blizzard of '93

But, really, no one NEEDS an excuse to go buy stuff (liquor) it's just nice to HAVE one!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I compare it with swimming.

I don't care where you live, learning/reading about how to drive in the snow is essential if you want to be a confident, qualified driver.

Living in the boonies is no excuse to not learn how to swim. It blows my mind that there are still people who die from drowning, specifically because they couldn't swim. Like, what, why, how.....

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Psychonautics

I can drive in the snow, but there comes a time when no matter how skilled of a driver you are, driving in the snow presents a hazard to you and anyone around you. This happens with non-all wheel drive vehicles, cars that sit real low to the ground, cars with thin wheel ruts, etc. It's not like it snows frequently enough here to warrant owning tire chains either.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Snowpocalypse 2016 !!!! , don't say you haven't been warned ...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I live in Eastern Pennsylvania.
I went to the local Aldi grocery store and the only bread they had was the weird crap that my kids don't care for.
I bought a loaf of some kind of multigrain totally organic bread that cost three times what a normal loaf does... because i needed bread to pack my kids lunches.
I don't understand why people have to buy the stores out of bread and milk because a possible snowstorm might hit two or three days away.

link   
a reply to: Psychonautics

I agree, and I think it's a shame with all of our communication technology, internet, radio, etc. that people die every year due to weather or the lack of knowledge/forecasts about the weather or lack of preparations or thinking "ahh, it isn't going to amount to anything".
Some folks only have electric heat and if the ice gets thick enough, the power lines will fail.
Food will spoil.
Homebound people will be stranded.
There are some older folks, I know of, that have not even a home phone. I'm glad that we have a large retirement community who are out checking on folks and making sure they are okay.

link   

originally posted by: Psychonautics

I don't care where you live, learning/reading about how to drive in the snow is essential if you want to be a confident, qualified driver.

After almost fourty years of practice in driving in the snow I'm quite confident, as long as there are no other cars on the road. I'd say 80% of drivers don't have any clue about braking and steering, when to use high gear or low gear on going up snowy inclines or down hills.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Bumer, another snowstorm for somebody else to enjoy.

No kidding, I'd kill for some more snow here in MI. IMO (and as far as season averages are concerned) there hasn't been enough. For reasons. Not that I build snow forts with my kids.

Ok, I build snow forts with my kids.

Before anyone complains that it's just the opinion of someone who grew up in the conditions, knows how to hack it, et al, I'm a relatively recent southern transplant to the north. From way south, moved from Florida. If I can handle living in a snow belt with LES snowfall predictions running the gamut of 4-6 to in excess of a foot in a day with all the low visibility, road issues & property maintenance woes that come with it, for several days at a time, you folks can handle a short (by comparison) storm, believe me. Otherwise, go outside & huff & puff & blow it all my way, I won't say no thanks XD

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

We own an "old" oldsmobile...front wheel drive...four door...the best at getting around.
Snow or ice. It is a tank!

My point was when the roads get bad, that is the one we often choose to drive.
edit on 21-1-2016 by TNMockingbird because: more specific

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Yea, I just own one car. A Toyota Corolla. In a few years I plan on getting a brand new Subaru, but for now, I gotta deal with this guy. Great car, but it doesn't handle very well when the roads get slippery.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I live in Eastern Pennsylvania.
I went to the local Aldi grocery store and the only bread they had was the weird crap that my kids don't care for.
I bought a loaf of some kind of multigrain totally organic bread that cost three times what a normal loaf does... because i needed bread to pack my kids lunches.
I don't understand why people have to buy the stores out of bread and milk because a possible snowstorm might hit two or three days away.

And don't forget eggs Don't you know that people just have to make French toast when it snows? I would love to know how many loaves of bread get moldy or milk turns sour ten days after a snowstorm. I bet a majority of the idiots who buy these items don't use them for the one day they're house bound.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

I'M ~EN ROUTE NOW

Come on over. Just bring your shovel. My plan Sat. night is to shovel for five minutes, stop and drink a beer, then repeat until my property is shoveled or I run out of beer.

That is what I'm talking about. If I hadn't moved to Texas a few years back (folks and in laws still live in Northern VA and Front Royal, VA) I'd be doing the exact same. Always a good excuse to slay beers, shovel snow, and maybe play some Xbox1 / watch some movies without the missus getting annoyed...

Y'all be safe. I do wish I was still up there to help my folks with the shoveling, they aren't getting any younger.

Cheers from down in Texas

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
a reply to: Krazysh0t

We own an "old" oldsmobile...front wheel drive...four door...the best at getting around.
Snow or ice. It is a tank!

My point was when the roads get bad, that is the one we often choose to drive.

I remember my old man had an olds in the late '60s. He would put chains on the back tires before the days of all weather radials. That huge car would go anywhere in the snow, never got stuck. He called it the African Queen after the Bogart movie, because the pistons would just make a chugging noise, leaving a blue-gray trail of oil smoke.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Enjoy? It's going to snow here in Maryland all day Saturday. If it starts on Friday, it'll be after work has let out for the day. It'll stop on Saturday night, leaving Sunday to shovel snow so you can go to work on Monday. Yay fun...

Yes fun.
I get snowed in with my family. I can't think of anything I enjoy more.
and if you get 18 inches on saturday with wind, you might not be going to work monday.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

a reply to: TNMockingbird

Yea, I just own one car. A Toyota Corolla. In a few years I plan on getting a brand new Subaru, but for now, I gotta deal with this guy. Great car, but it doesn't handle very well when the roads get slippery.

My wife used to drive a Subaru Forrester when we lived in VA, and that thing was absolutely awesome. Highly recommended.

I know people say it all the time, but when I lived up there I always made sure to check on my elderly neighbors before hitting the store and if the power ever went out. Funny thing was my old neighbor literally just said - "Thanks for coming by - bring back some Ole' Grandad and some pork rinds"... LOL

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It's supposed to snow 8 - 12 inches here. But even if it did break that and snow 18 inches, it's not supposed to snow on Sunday and actually be sunny (well partly cloudy). That gives plenty of time to clear the streets in Maryland. Trust me.
edit on 21-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

Yea, everyone I've talked to about those cars say they love them (well except one, but I consider him an outlier).

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Enjoy? It's going to snow here in Maryland all day Saturday. If it starts on Friday, it'll be after work has let out for the day. It'll stop on Saturday night, leaving Sunday to shovel snow so you can go to work on Monday. Yay fun...

Yes fun.
I get snowed in with my family. I can't think of anything I enjoy more.
and if you get 18 inches on saturday with wind, you might not be going to work monday.

I have to agree, shoveling is actually a fun family activity, if you make the effort. Don't be a stick in the (frozen) mud about it, fling scoops at each other here & there, break for a snowball fight if the snow's of the right type, etc. I don't even have to make my kids help, they do it on their own most of the time without ever being asked. Sure, there's always a bit of flung snow to backtrack & move, but it's still fun.

Also, here's an article about the effectiveness of road salt for anyone expecting any really bitter temps. Don't bank on it working well, if at all, temperature depending. We didn't get our area roads salted for 4 days last week because it was just too cold for the salt to do anything worthwhile. Plows were also sporadic, but that's a different ball of wax.

www.clickondetroit.com...

Take a look at the chart, you can see that at a temperature of 30 degrees, one pound of salt will melt 46 pounds of ice. As the temperature drops, salt's effectiveness slows to the point that when you get down near 10 degrees and below, salt hardly works at all.

edit on 1/21/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfThor

originally posted by: UnBreakable

I'M ~EN ROUTE NOW

That is what I'm talking about. If I hadn't moved to Texas a few years back (folks and in laws still live in Northern VA and Front Royal, VA) I'd be doing the exact same. Always a good excuse to slay beers, shovel snow, and maybe play some Xbox1 / watch some movies without the missus getting annoyed...

Y'all be safe. I do wish I was still up there to help my folks with the shoveling, they aren't getting any younger.

Cheers from down in Texas

I hear ya. I used to enjoy it, but I'm not getting any younger either. I shovel for like a half hour while my wife watches from inside the front door. Then I clutch my chest like Fred Sanford and she comes out to help. Works every time. But I'm nearing the age where I'm really going to go into vapor lock and collapse. But I hope to be too drunk to realize it. I'm the only one on my block without a snow blower. I just like to stick with the old school shovel. That's just the way I've always done it.
edit on 1jY by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join