It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon's Portland Community College to Mark 'Whiteness History Month'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
It's not the color of a man's skin that defines them..
But the color of there soul.
Copyright(me)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sosmyfamily

It's not the color of a man's skin that defines them..
But the color of there soul.
Copyright(me)

Goddamn.

Looks like Whiteness History Month is out for me.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I can to dance...

Ask any bottle of tequila, they'll tell you I can.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Ask any bottle of tequila, they'll tell you I can.

I have seen the evidence:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, an honest answer deserves an honest star DBC!!!!!

I like what Dave said

It's ok to have Black History Month, MLK day, B.E.T. channel, Blacks Only dating sites and the list goes on, but let a white man be proud of what the race has accomplished and stand back, because heads are gonna explode.

as well as what True posted

I am, none the less born of persons whose ancestors were abroad in the British Isles, in the mists of time and by all accounts, it is likely that a significant part of what went into my construction, came from pre-roman Britain.

Of that, I am intensely proud. However, I am proud of that because I find things about the ancient Britons interesting, laudable, noble and elemental. I find much of what has happened since the Romans inserted their supremacist nonsense into our national construction utterly deplorable, and the effects are still being felt now.

I too, (being Native American) am very proud of my ancestors; the struggles, difficulties, pain and celebration that they went through in the cource of history here in the U.S.

Damn Proud actually!!! I am glad to be of my tribe, so there

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Then you should celebrate it! Personally, if you're of the persuasion, you should celebrate it 24/7 365/year. There is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are.

Everyone should be proud.

We survived birth, injury(s), disease, terrorists, politicians, and the Kardashians.

As spokesman for the fat and balding, I'd gladly walk up to the podium to shout out to the world. . . but there are too many stairs and my hip hurts.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

There's no reason not to be.

I'm nearly as pale as it's possible for someone of Northern European descent to be. We're talkin' glow in the dark pale. Doesn't keep me from rejoicing in the accomplishments of my ancestors.

Mine came over in a boat from England before the US was the US. The rest right around the time of the Civil War. One of my great-greats was a fur trapper in the NW before Lewis and Clark came west. When it was dangerous to be caught by the English, and/or Spanish in the region...

The rest were farmers. Or soldiers. Oddly, none ever served in frontier forts...at least that I'm aware of. They were the folks who settled the west. They didn't own slaves. They didn't give out small pox ridden blankets. Or buffalo slaughter. They were just farmers trying to make a life after leaving a country, pick a northern European country, I've got ancestors from 'em, where they had no life that couldn't be taken from them on the whim of a lord, or graf, or count...

My folks knew about oppression, too.

But I'm damned glad to have learned about them, and have gotten to know them a little through diaries/letters, etc... Tough, brave folks.

I can't help but wonder what they'd have thought about the direction we're headed at such a great rate...
edit on 1/21/2016 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I agree in some respects. Depending on how the evolution of people went down and mating habits, all colored people could be your people though. Just some more distant than others.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I don't care, really. If someone wants to be proud, then be proud. If someone wants to think a certain way, they should be free to think a certain way.

I'm with you 100%! Who really cares? How does it affect anyone else?

This is NOT about "pride" or "celebration" of a race. I think most in this thread need to read the source more carefully.

It's about exploring white privilege, not being "proud" of being white. And I don't have a problem with that, either.

If you're white and want to celebrate it, then you should be free to do so. If you're any color and you want to celebrate it, then you should be free to do so.

I agree, but that's not what's happening here.

The project is "not a celebratory endeavor" but an "effort to change our campus climate," the school said on its website.
"Whiteness refers to the construction of the white race, white culture, and the system of privileges and advantages afforded to white people," a definition on the school's event page reads.

Some think white privilege exists, others don't. This seems to be an exploration of the notion that "whiteness" is an advantage in today's world and contributes to racism. If they want to look into that, who is it hurting? Certainly not me.

I'm proud of who I am, not the color of my skin, but if I had been born of another race and faced racism every day, I may have a completely different feeling.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

RIGHT ON Sea!!! My great grandfather was an Indian and a farmer and his grandfathers Father walked the "Trail of Tears" - the stories are horrendous at best, but knowing where one has been/come from, puts a great perspective on things.

Thanks for posting!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

If people want to explore "white guilt" or "white privilege" then they should be free to explore that as well.

Again, it doesn't affect me, so why should I care?

I think people should be free to be as serious or silly as they want. My opinion on what they do has as much impact as their opinion on what I do.

None.

But I will always support their right to be open about it.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You know, in all the time you and I have been here, and participated in these sorts of threads...and I long ago lost count. I've never, not once, ever heard a definition of "white privilege".

But apparently, according to some, that's exactly what I get simply because of who I was born. I get very annoyed with those people. How is that possible? I'm what is laughably referred to as the "working poor"...and everybody I know got to where they are by working their ever lovin' asses off. They weren't handed anything. Ever.

...and I find that I resent the hell out of that implication.

'course, you know that, after all this time. Your post tripped my trigger. Rant over.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I wish I knew how to use my white privilege more effectively.

I was at Death & Co. this past weekend and there was over an hour and a half wait. It would have been nice to use my WP Card to get in quicker.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

When you figure it out, do let me know?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

That's cool... April is also Confederate History Month down here in the South. Bully for Oregon!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a
When you figure it out, do let me know?

Are you buying?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Hell no. You'd drink me right back into the poor house...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I wish I knew how to use my white privilege more effectively.

I was at Death & Co. this past weekend and there was over an hour and a half wait. It would have been nice to use my WP Card to get in quicker.

LULZ!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

LULZ!

What good is having it if you cannot use it?

'White guy coming through, need my $15 cocktails.'

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: LSU0408

LULZ!

What good is having it if you cannot use it?

'White guy coming through, need my $15 cocktails.'

FIFTEEN DOLLARS???? Man, round these whitey parts, them things are about $7.50...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join