It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

" may contain <2% ................. " what the hell does that even mean ?????????????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
another break on the computer - another utterly meaningless and dishonest " FACT" thrown out at me

" may contain less than 2% < insert scary thing > "

WTF ?????????? seriously - what does it actually mean .

IT MAY BE TRUE - but does it actually impart any usefull information ??????????????????

hint

" the last thing you ate may have contrained < 2% elemental aresnic "

the above statement - is true - it MAY have

but did you actually gain anything by reading it ?????????????????????????

this sort of disengenuous bollox - peddled by chemophobic scare mongerers with shiite to sell on thier websites - is on the increase

if you are going to make a claim - be fooking factual and SPECIFIC - ie :

"this product contains between 0.5% and 2% < insert > by mass "

the above - actually tells you something - and allows some valid conclusion to be reached

rant over -

your ` normal ` does of poo flinging will resume shortly - i have a map to draw

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
Translation.
"We know there will be some there, or at least we can't guarantee that there won't be.
We don't have a way of measuring exactly how much will be in any particular sample.
But we are confident that nobody will find as much as 2%, so we will call it that to be on the safe side."

If you buy a bag of peanuts, there will probably be a note on the side saying "May contain nuts".

edit on 21-1-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
A lot of facilities process more than one type of thing. So, there may be trace amounts of one thing in another thing because they have to allow for residue on equipment and such.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
It means exactly what it says.

It's for legal purposes, nothing else.

I don't know why it's got your jimmies rustled so.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   

it says exactly what it says; may contain < 2%

Pretty easy to unerstand

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Mostly for people with allergies, it's a simple warning
Some foods that shouldn't cause a reaction may have traces of other products that may

Simple, it's,a good policy

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
They can't tell you how much because that would require testing EVERY single package and is cost prohibitive. It's a catchall meaning there is between 0 and 2% because we can't actually measure every dose/package.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

In Germany(where I live),the manufacturers of foodstuffs aren't obliged to list ingredients that are less than 2% in their products.As an opponent of any evil blasted sweetener and a vegetarian I find this really quite obnoxious.

Oddly,for a country that demands transparency and quality,there are surprisingly few controls in certain industries.A few years ago,a major producer of pork products was shut down after worrying levels of dioxins were found in their meat.It turned out that they were mixing used machine oil and grease into the piggies fodder.

Yummy.

I can only hope that they really do declare all allergens in all food.Not doing so would be really irresponsible.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Parts per million... there are all kinds of goodies out there.
For example.
Anthrax is naturally occurring in the wild. But in most cases, it's not enough to harm you. If you run around in the forest bare footed though. You run a risk. That's why cows get it sometimes.

Cyanide... in Apple seeds. But folks tend not to eat the seeds. But if you do. It would do take a lot to harm you. Another example of Cyanide.... It's involved in the production of most Foam product. When the foam is forming, a bit of Cyanide gas is put off. But again it's parts per million. Not enough to harm you. FX artist deal with it all the time. ( I would know ). Wear a mask.

And lastly... The water that comes out of the Tap. No matter how much filtration the water goes through at the local water plant for City consumption. There will always be trace amounts of Fecal Matter in it from wild life. But remember......... Parts Per Million. There is sometimes trace amounts of medication now too.

I have a photo uploaded to my account here at ATS. It's from the local Grocery Store... I bought a Submarine/Hogie sandwich loaded with cheese and meats...... there was a a Warning sticker on it..... it said, "May Contain Bread" .
Well no $h!t! I laugh every time I see that photo I took.....

MODS.. got me a Samsung Galaxy S2 yesterday.. ATS now runs flawless! But I can't upload photos for viewing here. It would certainly add to this thread/rant....

edit on 21-1-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
another break on the computer - another utterly meaningless and dishonest " FACT" thrown out at me

" may contain less than 2% < insert scary thing > "

WTF ?????????? seriously - what does it actually mean .

IT MAY BE TRUE - but does it actually impart any usefull information ??????????????????

hint

" the last thing you ate may have contrained < 2% elemental aresnic "

the above statement - is true - it MAY have

but did you actually gain anything by reading it ?????????????????????????

this sort of disengenuous bollox - peddled by chemophobic scare mongerers with shiite to sell on thier websites - is on the increase

if you are going to make a claim - be fooking factual and SPECIFIC - ie :

"this product contains between 0.5% and 2% < insert > by mass "

the above - actually tells you something - and allows some valid conclusion to be reached

rant over -

your ` normal ` does of poo flinging will resume shortly - i have a map to draw

Covering their asses. Like everybody does in this day and age.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
When something says < a percentage of something, there is probably a reason they listed it that way. Often there are many ingredients listed in that catagory, each ingredient can be two percent. That means if you buy bacon and there are twenty eight ingredients in it at less than two percent, there may not be any bacon in it. It could be all chemicals replacing what was originally pork.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I've got a nut allergy and I've found out (to my cost) that anything labelled 'may contain nuts' or 'traces of nuts' WILL contain nuts - traces or otherwise.

I've had to learn to look very carefully at lists of ingredients and allergy warnings. I'm grateful for them.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Well, I guess that explains 2% milk. I still wonder what the rest of it is.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Mr Headshot

Okaaaay, but a plant that processes asenic (or other toxicins) should NEVER be allowed to process foods ingested by humans or animals.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I once saw an artificial sweetener that said 100 mg contained less than 1 gram of carbohydrates, true story

to make it clear:

Portion= 100 mg
Contains = Carbohidrates < 1 gram

No crap, how informative than 0.1g contains less than 1g of something

edit on 21-1-2016 by Indigent because: ATS really don't like < 1 without space

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Translation: "we don`t know what the hell is in it,joe spilled something in the packaging machine and we`re not sure it all got cleaned out"

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

> is greater than................< is less than

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

2% or less is the maximum allowable quantity of the substance in question. Some tests obviously resulted in lower scores, but they either do not allow or it does not occur in quantities greater than 2% of the total content...

Does that help mate ?

new topics

top topics

join