It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Teachers Stage Mass Sickout On Day Of Obama’s Visit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Massive "call in sick" efforts by teachers in the Detroit school system.

Apparently they have been upset and concerned about the general conditions of the Detroit public schools.

Looks like a "final straw" happened on the day Obama was there.

Lot's of issues in Detroit.

Obama is said to be attending the auto show at a convention center.

Detroit Teachers Stage Mass Sickout On Day Of Obama’s Visit, Protest Planned At Cobo Center

Mass teacher sickouts have prompted nearly all of Detroit Public Schools to close on the day President Barack Obama is set to visit the city.

More than 85 schools across the city are closed Wednesday because of excessive teacher absences — the largest in a string of recent sickouts meant to call attention to high class sizes, dilapidated buildings and other problems in Michigan’s largest school district.

DPS officials say they have “no other option but to close schools when teachers do not report for work.” Michelle Zdrodowski, DPS spokesperson, said staff members at the schools which have closed must still report for work Wednesday or take a personal leave day. Otherwise, staff could face disciplinary action as most of the district’s 46,000 students sit at home.

sickout protests

edit on Jan-20-2016 by xuenchen because: strike

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Somebody has to do something about the stupidity running everything.

I mean we gotta start doing something different how much more obvious does it need to get?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This is just freaking funny and you people all know it.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

So the teachers wanted to all go and see Obama, so had a sicky!

Shows how much they support him!

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: xuenchen

So the teachers wanted to all go and see Obama, so had a sicky!

Shows how much they support him!

Actually that could be it !!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Not true as to just that day here. They have been doing this daily almost for 3 weeks now, sending kids home.

It wasnt because of Obamas visit...in fact, his visit was only publicly announced a couple weeks back. And the teachers had already begun their daily "sick-outs".

Its been a daily thing around here in the Metro Detroit area. And the Flint water issue. But, the teachers have been calling off since the end weeks of December's holiday season.

I support the teachers by the way.

I was just clarifying that this just wasnt for him, but was ongoing. Ticking off a lot of parents who got the kids to school, then had to take them home.

Best

edit on 20-1-2016 by mysterioustranger because: splchkr

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Ban public sector unions and end the federal department of education.

The only thing I have to concede is that Detroit may be a lost cause no matter what.

I suggest anyone still there move along.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Move everyone out, tear it all down, start over.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

It wasnt because of Obamas visit...in fact, his visit was only publicly announced a couple weeks back. And the teachers had already begun their daily "sick-outs".

Correct.
I just wish they would have tried to square this away in the summertime, rather than (IMO) using the education of kids as a bargaining chip.
I can only imagine how many parents had to stay home from work these past few weeks.
When it first started, I felt like it was alright, seeing how there haven't been many, if any 'snow days' this year.
Going on for this long though? c'mon teachers.... Do your job.

For the others calling Detroit a lost cause..
It's been getting better the past few years and will continue to do so.
So back off

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Some teachers are claiming that the physical conditions of the schools are making them physically ill. If it is making the adults ill, it is also making the students ill. Being in such conditions are not conducive to learning.

Detroit sick out

Black mold, mushrooms, moldy food, rats, dilapidated buildings, no heat.
This link has pics

appalling

I wouldn't want my children going to these schools and having to be in these conditions, I wouldn't want to work in these conditions either.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Squirlli

Was looking through some of those pics, damn...
On a positive note, it looks to me like the mushrooms growing out of the wall are Oysters, they're pretty tasty. /sarcasm
pbs.twimg.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I agree, why do people even still live there? if they are too poor to move they should buy a tent and go live in the woods they could use a post office box or a relatives address to get their welfare checks every month,that would have to be better than living in Detroit.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: twitchy

maybe they can start an herbology class and harvest them.

all jokes aside though...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
What a laugh, this is their answer to the problem, make more laws:

"Angered by teacher sick-outs that have caused many Detroit school closures, majority Republicans in Michigan's Legislature on Thursday proposed — and promised to quickly pass — legislation to make it easier to deem such work stoppages illegal strikes.

"If our current state law isn't sufficient to prevent activists from hurting kids, it's time we strengthen it," said Republican Sen. Phil Pavlov of St. Clair Township, 45 miles northeast of Detroit."

Source:abcnews.go.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

It's for the Children !!!

So they end up firing thousands of teachers and won't be able to replace any.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
To be fair, what is happening to the Detroit Public Schools is part of a long, downward spiral over the last 25 years or more.

The State of Michigan has been baling them out for years, covering their debt. So now the State is their largest debt holder. And the District supposedly will run out of money this spring.
As a citizen of the State, that pisses me off.
The citizens should not be put in a position of having to finance the bad management of decades of School Board. The citizens cannot afford this.

Over the years, there has been reports of lack of books and supplies.
Dubious quality of education.
Student behavior problems.
Lack of parental concern.
Buildings in bad shape.
Questionable teachers.
Extreme drop out rates.
Etc
Etc
Etc

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
All the protests and posturing mean nothing because they will continue to vote Democrat.

Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

My husband was in that auto show today he said that the place was soo pack with people you could not walk around at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Just got this from my family in Michigan:

DPS inspection reports

I'm glad that they are being made to fix this mess and they are taking no excuses about it.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Squirlli
Just got this from my family in Michigan:

DPS inspection reports

I'm glad that they are being made to fix this mess and they are taking no excuses about it.

I sincerely hope that the repairs are of significantly higher quality than those reports.

I would have been embarrassed to put my name on such a poor quality inspection reports.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join