It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Weight

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Your mass will remain unchanged, fatty.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
here we are considering only the orbit round the sun. to stretch it further even consider stopping the spin of the earth
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I'm only overweight because gravity is too strong. Maybe instead of dieting and exercising I could alter the gravity of the earth.
Lol for the same reason, I'm a touch overweight too. Brilliant idea though

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

Naw, I am not Catholic.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Touché.

On another note, would someone kindly explain the premise of this thread? It appears to be gibberish.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Touché.

On another note, would someone kindly explain the premise of this thread? It appears to be gibberish.

I like gibberish.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

I think its a usual 'Pose a question which I already have a pre-concieved answer to, which i am sticking to, be it right or wrong... but i want people to discuss it so i can tell them they are wrong... massage ego' post really.

Still, if people may come away with a better understanding of Newtonian style physics, the better

BTW the answer to my question regarding a Heavy truck hitting a small car at the same velocity is that they both experience the same force. Which is something that many people find quite hard to believe, because obviously the result is very different once you progress time.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Naw, I am not Catholic.
Lol nice one

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ErosA433
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

I think its a usual 'Pose a question which I already have a pre-concieved answer to, which i am sticking to, be it right or wrong... but i want people to discuss it so i can tell them they are wrong... massage ego' post really.

Still, if people may come away with a better understanding of Newtonian style physics, the better

BTW the answer to my question regarding a Heavy truck hitting a small car at the same velocity is that they both experience the same force. Which is something that many people find quite hard to believe, because obviously the result is very different once you progress time.

I would have to agree with you there.

Especially because some of us gave an answer to the OP then got a "you're all wrong so far" response.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Touché.

Its kind of a physics tickler for a bit of fun

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei
With the string being about 93 million miles long and the ball taking a year to make one revolution, how much force are we even talking about? At any given moment the deviation from a straight path would seem to me to be almost negligible.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
With the string being about 93 million miles long and the ball taking a year to make one revolution, how much force are we even talking about? At any given moment the deviation from a straight path would seem to me to be almost negligible.

All orbiting bodies travel in a straight line

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

True.

Even my example of the force exerted on our bodies by the spinning Earth (a force that has a vector that is partially away from the force of Earth's gravity acting on us) is probably greater than the force the OP is talking about, but is probably still negligible compared to Earth's gravity.

EDIT TO ADD:
I was quickly browsing around the interwebs looking to see if anyone had done a calculation to determine how much more we would weigh at the equator of a spinning earth versus a non-spinning Earth, and there have been a few people who have done this, but have come up with different answers. However, they all seem to be in agreement that the difference would be just a fraction of 1%.

edit on 1/21/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei

Excuse me?!

If something is ORBITING it certainly doesn't travel in a straight line.

Not only are we orbiting the Sun, but the Sun is also moving so we are travelling in anything but a straight line.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Excuse me?!

Yes they do

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Excuse me?!

Yes they do

Do you know the difference between a straight line and a circle?

| - straight line
O - circle

If everything that orbits is going in a straight line then all the planets would have to be in exactly the same place, all the time with no deviation.
edit on 211521/1/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Excuse me?!

Yes they do

| - straight line
O - circle

If everything that orbits is going in a straight line then all the planets would have to be in exactly the same place, all the time with no deviation.

Nochzwei is probably talking about the fact that orbiting objects move in a straight line through space-time, but that space-time can be warped by a gravity well, causing those objects to follow the warped path. The objects are still moving straight through space, but space curves.

But that's not relevant for the issue at hand.

edit on 1/21/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

Excuse me?!

Yes they do

| - straight line
O - circle

Nochzwei is probably talking about the fact that orbiting objects move in a straight line through space-time, but that space-time can be warped by a gravity well, causing those objects to follow the warped path. The objects are still moving straight through space, but space curves.

But even if it is about space-time it still wouldn't be a straight line. As you said yourself, gravity wells would make a straight line diverge so it would no longer be a straight line from start to finish.

EDIT Are we talking about geodesic by any chance? Because isn't that more of a curved line rather than a straight line?
edit on 213221/1/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Weight is determined by your mass multiplied by the force of gravity being exerted on you. Since the earth's force of gravity is relatively constant throughout the surface of the planet, we just use a constant for gravity (9.81).

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

as i see it.if you include your mass as part of the earths (as a static system)and introduce frame dragging and related proposals the anwser could be yes, the result could be measurable at a quantum level.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join