It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It’s Like “Nazi Germany” Federal Police Officer Furious After Cops Attempt to Rob Them

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: JimNasium

There are departments throughout the country that rely on this kind of thing to raise funds, they usually have a representative from the legislature that will pass laws declaring those areas to be part of a "drug route corridor" or some other officious sounding name to gain Federal funds from the high numbers of arrests that stem from these fishing expeditions.

Another thing to look at is if the jails in these areas are "Private" then You will know it is indeed a tentacle from a much larger fund eating machine.

Thanks for the inside look. In your opinion, how come 'good cops' don't whistle blow about it. It takes another off duty cop that was subjected to it or, like yourself, one in retirement to give us this yah hey its systemic and goes all the way up the ladder.

Exactly.

Just look at the thread from an ex-cop who is now pregnant and thinks it's an injustice that she has to take a drug test to get prenatal care.

I wonder how many people she gave drug tests to when on duty?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I believe it's the practice of civil asset forfeiture. Here is a funny video of John Oliver explaining it:

"Legalized robbery by law enforcement".

A guy traveled from michigan to california with $2,400, that his dad had lent him, to start a new job. He was pulled over and the police officer took his money saying, "I'm going to keep the money because I've concluded here that you are traveling from michigan to california to purchase drugs".

(BTW, I am reposting this from my post in jesse ventura's "how much are police really costing you" thread.)Ventura Link

Luckily the guy was a federal cop and did not have large sums of cash on him. If this was an average joe with a good amount of cash in his car, who knows what might of happend.
edit on 22-1-2016 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys
Or questionable searches of 'suspects'?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

judging from these comments, its like these cops get a free pass, had this been a video from a different country there'd be a mob projecting moral values or decency in law enforcement or human rights violation outcry... but when it happens here in the states, no big deal; 'only some police stations are like this' or 'not all cops do it' .... and all is well.

now, lets go free middle eastern countries from corruption... ( not north Korea tho... we cant touch them.)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I get your point; but it's not cool to talk about other ATSers essentially behind their backs, and it is against T&Cs.

I do appreciate the point that you are trying to make; however, strictly speaking, the legal issue is the end-run around the Constitution and our Bill of Rights, specifically our right to be secure in our person and possessions, which prohibits random searches and seizures. The requirement for probable cause and a court-ordered warrant is being ignored and therefore violated under color of law and easily manipulated/fabricated "probable cause" -- i.e., the K9s.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

How is "nationalization of police" going to solve anything? Are you aware as an example of the human right violations from United Nations soldiers? The Peacekeepers of the United Nations consist of soldiers from the different nations that the United Nations consists of. It is a type of "nationalized army". Yet, they are known for their human rights violations in many nations they are supposed to help and secure.

Nationalizing police forces is not going to help at all against "asset forfeiture abuse" by certain law enforcement agencies. BTW, I not saying all police officers are like this. However, this problem is becoming more and more common, and it's happening in many other states as well.

What we need is to put a stop in this kind of abuse of power.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: FamCore

And that is why we need to be armed.

And what exactly are you going to do against a police officer? And how do you think that would go?

People need to stop believing their own bs. This has nothing to do with being armed and having a gun will not fix anything.

What will fix things is having Federal government oversight of the local PD's and forcing them to take responsibility for the massive racism, corruption, abuse of power currently going on across your country.

Just as you need to deal with systematic institutional racism you need to deal with the systematic institutional corruption from state to state, and that requires proper oversight from the Federal gov, with some damn teeth.
edit on 22-1-2016 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Came across this article the other day too:
DEA/TSA Asset Forfeiture
"So, if you're traveling with a bunch of cash you MUST be a drug dealer so we're going to seize all your money." -DEA
"And I'm checking the bags for bombs- for safety- but I'll just tip off the DEA and get a cut." -TSA

I caught some criticism in a recent thread for refusing to consent to a drug test without probable cause. "Well if you're not doing them, you have nothing to hide." It's about your rights. Know your rights and stand up for them. Because THIS (OP) is what happens.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Being armed is definitely not the answer, that will just get you killed.

But if you think the Feds are any better, you're living in a fool's paradise my friend.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Now granted this is just My opinion but because You asked.. Probably afraid of being deemed a "rat/snitch" and if/when they were losing a fight for life and they call for cover, somebody would come running. You have to remember on what kind of person signs up for "The Job" Some are doing it because they got picked on in school and are now going to make things right. A majority of these officers are usually the ones who are slugs on the streets and instead of handling calls they are studying for the promotion exams. This may explain why when these same officers are of rank and are asked to clean things up, they don't see things as being skewed because they did the same 'snip'. Conversely, the officers that got into to actual help people are handling calls in the aforementioned officer's beats because they are either studying or at the station wasting time. These are the "good ones" who either get clipped/injured or fed up due to the above.

But don't think these polished turds are the majority, if they were I'd surely type that to You. I was getting out right after the police departments started being able to get military type vehicles and it seems to Me that recruitment went along those lines as well..

It will NOT improve until each department is fairly represented by the folks in the community it serves. If You work in a dep't. that has a Vietnamese/Hmong population the officers should know the customs especially when the cops are in THEIR house. How would You act in Your boss' house? Who is the boss of the police? If the people are 90% black then the cops should be more than 1 black guy for every 10 cops..

Sadly, the only folks signing up are the turds w/a vendetta and now they get to go to calls in a tank, carry a M-14, a tazer, a handgun..

namaste

** Proud Member of LEAP **

P.S. Sorry for the lengthy reply but after working that job and seeing "the best people at their worst and the worst people at their best" if I was to be succinct it would be "Why does anybody do what they do?". But "Loss of Life" usually ranks pretty high on most lists and then "Loss of job" so when You mix the 2 it is usually "You get caught You get caught, I get caught I get caught'...

Working undercover in the biker community I came across a Hells Angels™ adage "3 people can keep a secret if 2 are dead"..

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I do appreciate the point that you are trying to make; however, strictly speaking, the legal issue is the end-run around the Constitution and our Bill of Rights, specifically our right to be secure in our person and possessions, which prohibits random searches and seizures. The requirement for probable cause and a court-ordered warrant is being ignored and therefore violated under color of law and easily manipulated/fabricated "probable cause" -- i.e., the K9s.

Driving west of Atlanta on I - 20 several years back I saw a vehicle pulled over by several police units onto center median. Traffic always slows due to gawkers out on that stretch of road. As I approached closer a K-9 officer was repeatedly kicking his dog in the haunches in an attempt to get the dog to "hit" on the suspect vehicle. I was taken aback at how publicly and blatantly the officer was violating another's constitutional rights as hundreds of other motorists passed by, the officer obviously had no care of what he was doing. The driver of the vehicle was detained on side away from officer kicking the dog and most likely was unaware of the deception.

Ever since witnessing that incident I'll choose to believe civilians first over the police reports.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Ever since witnessing that incident I'll choose to believe civilians first over the police reports.

Oh wow. I bet you did!

What's really scary about that (at least to me) is that we know that the most depraved killers often start out by abusing and torturing animals... God only knows what all that cop is capable of... and how many others.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

originally posted by: intrptr

There are departments throughout the country that rely on this kind of thing to raise funds, they usually have a representative from the legislature that will pass laws declaring those areas to be part of a "drug route corridor" or some other officious sounding name to gain Federal funds from the high numbers of arrests that stem from these fishing expeditions.

Another thing to look at is if the jails in these areas are "Private" then You will know it is indeed a tentacle from a much larger fund eating machine.

Thanks for the inside look. In your opinion, how come 'good cops' don't whistle blow about it. It takes another off duty cop that was subjected to it or, like yourself, one in retirement to give us this yah hey its systemic and goes all the way up the ladder.

Exactly.

Just look at the thread from an ex-cop who is now pregnant and thinks it's an injustice that she has to take a drug test to get prenatal care.

I wonder how many people she gave drug tests to when on duty?

That was me....and the answer is none. There were multiple times I requested breath or blood from 'suspected' DWI's. Suspected, as in, I knew they were trashed. I'm not going to waste 4 hours of my life doing all the paperwork to process someone unless I am certain they're over the limit. AND if they refused breath or blood, that was the end of it. On to the cell, where they are arraigned and can contest the charge in court. By the books. I'm not saying I'm perfect, or never made mistakes. But I made every effort to play by the rules and only do searches 1. with a warrant 2. with probable cause or 3. with consent.

Which is why I will never give consent for a search (including drug tests) of my person or property for the purpose of law enforcement. You can always refuse to give consent, and refusing consent does not constitute probable cause. Let them get a warrant. And I don't do drugs or possess drugs, I've got nothing to hide, but I'm not going to give up my rights.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I had one department in calif write me a speeding ticket for 1 mph over the speed limit twice.

The same department also pulled me over a few times for weaving and after the first time i knew the unlit parking lot the cop was hiding in and expected getting pulled over every time i went through the town and seen his car hidden in the parking lot.

This town is on the highway between LA Calif and Reno Nevada.

I did find out something that helps. i drive a company truck and would never get stopped but on trips i was driving my car i would get stopped.
The truck was mine but i had it in a corporation name.

my guess is the cops don't want to deal with corporation lawyers.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Oh, and P.S. I never once did a civil asset forfeiture while I was a cop. I was too busy answering 911 calls and catching people in the act of stealing and assaulting others and such...you know, real police work. I thought civil asset forfeiture was BS then and my opinion hasn't changed.

In 6 1/2 years I made over 830 arrests. I received 23 commendations, 3 certificates of merit and a life saving badge. I only received one complaint and yes, it was for excessive force. But the complaint was 'not sustained', the suspect was resisting and I used exactly the correct amount of force to effect the arrest. Zero discipline.

But nice of you to make assumptions about people you've never met.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

No problem, thanks for the run down. Probably a stupid question, ever see Serpico?

How about Casualties of War?

Then theres Thief (with James Caan) Training Day, The Departed, The Drop, maybe a dozen others.

Pretty tough hombre to run against hells angels there, chief. Not much in the movie genre would impress you as much, having lived the life.

edit on 22-1-2016 by intrptr because: bb code

edit on 22-1-2016 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

Point was:

Maybe you yourself never did but did you try to change the laws when it didn't apply to you?

Meaning you were fine with the laws as is until you got caught up in them.........

Cops remind me of conservatives.

They don't care how much government intrusion someone else has to endure but god damn it they will fight to bloody hell to keep THEIR rights.

edit on 23-1-2016 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

And my point is: you can enforce the laws just fine by playing by the rules. As you can see by my track record, I caught plenty of criminals without violating anyone's rights.

Cops like the ones in this OP are pieces of sh*t and have completely missed the point of law enforcement. I BECAME a cop so that I could know that there was at least one good guy on the streets. And for my trouble I'm now permanently disabled and can't even work food service.

And as for the drug test I oppose to: it's because the doctor is specifically testing EVERYONE for the purpose of law enforcement. No probable cause, no warrant. And I don't do drugs, there's no way I could fail it, but I seriously object to the principle of the matter. The law already allows them to test if they have probable cause, and already expects them to be mandatory reporters if child abuse is suspected. So they have no reason to overstep their bounds like this and treat every pregnant woman like a criminal.

When I was a cop if I asked for consent to search and someone said 'no' I left it alone. That's their right. And as a civilian- knowing that I have nothing illegal on my person or in my vehicle- I would NOT consent to a search. That's my right. And if some piece of sh*t cop started hounding me about it, I would ask him to call his supervisor to the scene. And if he refused to do that I would call 911 and tell THEM to send a supervisor. But I guess (as a poster on the other thread called me) that just makes me a jerk. Whatever, if standing up for my rights and the rights of others makes me a jerk, then I'm just a big ol' fat jerk.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The civil asset forfeiture laws are complete unconstitutional BS and need to be scrapped. BUT, after studying the law for 8 months in the police academy I can say that a majority of the laws in place are actually really good, really well written and don't need changing.

If they were actually interested in keeping the peace, all the laws that don't actually have a complainant (prostitution, drugs, traffic laws) would be trashed and they could boil it down to the basics and focus on THAT. But it's never going to happen. 1. politicians never want to get rid of old laws, they just want to pile more on 2. they're making way too much profit off the prison system and BS traffic enforcement, they're not going to give that up

Cops have no say in changing laws. It's all up to politicians.

The motor jocks would come on duty, write a buttload of tickets in a short amount of time- no mercy, every little violation- then f*ck off for the rest of the day. That's BS. That has nothing to do with public safety, that's straight up revenue gathering. I was running call to call, arresting people I caught in the act, busting my butt to actually serve the citizens and I was harassed by my fellow officers for 'working too hard'.

You know how you call 911 and there's a long wait? Well, let me tell you, it may not necessarily be because all the officers are actually busy with other- more important- crimes. They can see calls holding on their MDTs and it's quite likely that they're a few blocks away f*cking off on their cell phones. Some guys would even bring laptops into work and operate a side eBay business while they were supposed to be working. Or straight up mark out on an 'investigation' and take a nap somewhere. And I can't tell you why the dispatchers didn't always assign calls, I guess they were f*cking off too. But as a citizen who- in the past- called for help from the police and got jack sh*t for help, I honestly did my best to get to people and give 110% to help them fix whatever problem they were having.

And people ask why good cops don't complain about bad cops? I worked with VICE a few times and had reason to believe they were ignoring human trafficking. I complained to their Lt. Next thing I know I was banned from working with them. Then a month later they suddenly wanted to use me again. I said 'yes' but had a real bad feeling in my gut and cancelled at the last minute. Was it a set up? I don't know. Then a few short months later my supervisors broke the law, left me disabled then fired ME without investigating anyone else. THAT is what happens to cops who complain.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
THAT is what happens to cops who complain.

Kind of what the original point was also.

I'm sorry for what happened to you. Sounds like you were one of the good ones. But, do you see why we get so sick of hearing "it's only a few bad apples", especially when we hear stories like yours?

I hope all works well for you.

edit on 23-1-2016 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join