It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks like there might be newly discovered planet in our solar system

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This is actually pretty cool and that it was found by the guy that killed Pluto! No doubt Nibiru will again surge, but this is really cool. (Apologies if it's posted elsewhere I'm on my phone)

www.washingtonpost.com...
"Astronomers at the California Institute of Technology announced Wednesday that they have found new evidence of a giant icy planet lurking in the darkness of our solar system far beyond the orbit of Pluto. They are calling it "Planet Nine.""
edit on 20-1-2016 by Marid Audran because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Planet nine from outer space?
Nibiru?
Guy who killed pluto?
Thats some fine conspiracymanship there.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Marid Audran

Astronomers at the California Institute of Technology announced Wednesday that they have found new evidence of a giant icy planet lurking in the darkness of our solar system far beyond the orbit of Pluto. They are calling it "Planet Nine."

Planet Nine has a nice ring to it.

Cool discovery and thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Is this a 3rd new planet as 2 were recently found by ALMA a few weeks ago?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marid Audran
This is actually pretty cool and that it was found by the guy that killed Pluto! No doubt Nibiru will again surge, but this is really cool. (Apologies if it's posted elsewhere I'm on my phone)

"Astronomers at the California Institute of Technology announced Wednesday that they have found new evidence of a giant icy planet lurking in the darkness of our solar system far beyond the orbit of Pluto. They are calling it "Planet Nine.""

Sounds like a Star Wars galaxy system planet.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

"My daughter, she's still kind of mad about Pluto being demoted, even though she was barely born at that time," Brown said. "She suggested a few years ago that she'd forgive me if I found a new planet. So I guess I've been working on this for her."

"Daddy, why did you kill Pluto?"

"Because I wanted attention."

Call it Planet oort cloud. All the "cometary bodies" unworthy because we haven't seen them yet.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Planet Nine... 10 11 and
Nice find Astral & RV data detect somethings out there

Perhaps some were to harsh on Stichins efforts to attempt to explain Planet X Dyson sphere affiliates.
edit on 1/20/16 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This is exactly why I will never completely eliminate Nibiru. There is just too many unknowns. Now, I will say that I don't necessarily believe in the destructive path in which Nibiru brings but if you click on the article you will see it's orbit get's closer to that of the hypothetical Nibiru. We are finding new planets every year within our Solar System and will continue to do so that will defy many of our past beliefs.
edit on 20-1-2016 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

Planet Nine... 10 11 and
Nice find Astral & RV data detect somethings out there

Perhaps some were to harsh on Stichins efforts to attempt to explain Planet X Dyson sphere affiliates.

Pluto isn't a planet, period, It isn't some controversy. Scientifically, it doesn't fit the definition.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: THEatsking

This is actually pretty cool and that it was found by the guy that killed Pluto!
Nothing was "found" but still, interesting.

Sheppard, who co-wrote the paper that Brown and Batygin set out to disprove, says the existence of a hidden planet is still a big unknown. "Until we actually see it for real, it will always be questionable as to whether it exists," he said, cautioning that the latest calculations are based on a relatively small number of known objects and that further observations and detections of perturbed bodies would bolster the hypothesis.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: THEatsking

1 was not counting Pluto in the extras, THEatsking. 10 , 11 &
are non Plutos

edit on 1/20/16 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
Planet nine from outer space?
Nibiru?
Guy who killed pluto?
Thats some fine conspiracymanship there.

Darn! If Pluto were still a planet, they could call this potential/possible new planet "Planet Ten".

...Where's Phage with his "Lord John Whorfin" avatar?:

"Where are we going?"
Planet Ten!

"When?"
"Real soon!"

EDIT TO ADD:
I see Phage and Lord John Whorfin have made an appearance as I was writing this.

edit on 1/20/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

The possibility of a planet lurking in the outer reaches of the solar system has gained new ground, based on the orbits of recently discovered objects. There is a new twist to the latest evidence, however, with suggestions of not one but two large planets at mind-bending distances from the Sun.

The quest for a "Planet X" beyond Neptune has been going on for more than a century. Recently, two dwarf planets Sedna and 2102 VP113 have been identified with orbits extending to distances hundreds of times further from the Sun than our own.

Distant as these orbits are, they are too close to be part of the Oort Cloud, a collection of comets that mostly orbit at distances beyond 5000 AU.

Instead it is thought that these objects formed closer to the sun. The gravitational influence of a large planet is one explanation of how their orbits changed. The theory has its own problems – if we can’t explain how objects like these came to be orbiting at such distances, then it’s equally unclear how a theoretical planet came to be there.

www.iflscience.com...

+24 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I find it interesting that previously the main reason given that Niburu does not exist is the lack of gravitational evidence.
Now this guy comes along and says that he believes that a giant planet exists outside of the orbit of Pluto.... because of gravitational evidence.
Not saying anyone is right or wrong, I just thought it was interesting.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Fantastic new evidence.

Perhaps someone can explain to me, though, why is this object so difficult to actually spot? If it's such a large body, why aren't we able to see it at all?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
Fantastic new evidence.

Perhaps someone can explain to me, though, why is this object so difficult to actually spot? If it's such a large body, why aren't we able to see it at all?

That has always been a quality of Niburu.
It is invisible.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
That has always been a quality of Niburu.
It is invisible.

Lol, yes. But "planet nine" can be seen through objective means. I just don't get why we can't visibly see it.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I find it interesting that previously the main reason given that Niburu does not exist is the lack of gravitational evidence.
Now this guy comes along and says that he believes that a giant planet exists outside of the orbit of Pluto.... because of gravitational evidence.

One of the defining aspects of the Nibiru claim is that Nibiru swoops through the inner solar system every 3600 years. The orbital/gravitation evidence that should manifest itself as perturbnaces in the the orbits of Venus, Earth, Mars, and maybe even Jupiter is lacking for such a planetary swing through the inner solar system.

...However, in the case of this potential planet mentioned in the OP, there may be evidence (depending on how the data is interpreted) that there are gravitational perturbances in the OUTER solar system that might be evidence for a planet orbiting out beyond Pluto.

But saying that there may be perturbances in the outer solar system that shows signs of a possible planet-sized body with an orbit beyond Pluto is not the same thing as what the Nibiru crowd says about Nibiru, which should have a visible effect on the orbits of the inner planets. However, no such effects of the alleged Nibiru have been seen in the orbits of the inner planets.

So, this potential planet and Nibiru are "apples and oranges".

edit on 1/20/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

One of the defining aspects of the Nibiru claim is that Nibiru swoops through the inner solar system every 3600 years. The orbital/gravitation evidence that should manifest itself as perturbnaces in the the orbits of Venus, Earth, Mars, and maybe even Jupiter is lacking for such a planetary swing through the inner solar system.

...However, in the case of this potential planet mentioned in the OP, there may be evidence (depending on how the data is interpreted) that there are gravitational perturbances in the OUTER solar system that might be evidence for a planet orbit out beyond Pluto.

But saying that there may be perturbances in the outer solar system that shows signs of a possible planet-sized body with an orbit beyond Pluto is not the same thing as what the Nibiru crowd says about Nibiru, which should have a visible effect on the orbits of the inner planets. However, no such effects of the alleged Nibiru have been seen in the orbits of the inner planets.

So, this potential planet and Nibiru are "apples and oranges".

I know. I am not a subscriber to the Niburu theory.
It is still interesting (to me) that the same thing that kills the Niburu theory also may substantiate the new giant planet.
I think it needs a cool name like Hoth or something.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
Fantastic new evidence.

Because, if it exists, it is very very far away.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join