It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should society consider mandatory sterilization?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: selfharmonise

I'm not sure being allowed to get pregnant is a basic human right. Nevertheless I don't think it's possible to prevent people from having children because in order to truly prevent them from doing so would require physical alterations of some sort. And if they don't want to subject themselves to that, forcing them is definitely in violation of their human rights.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

What? No, I support genetic modification because I understand how the process works. Issues with it are not a direct result of the modification itself, but other unsavory practices that its use may promote (like mono cultures.)

I flagged this thread because I believe it is a topic worth discussing, even if I don't personally think that mandatory sterilisation is something that should be done. Yes, the opening post is a bit distasteful, but this is still a subject we must talk about.

The only talking about this that needs to be done is all of the reasons to avoid it. what group in charge could possibly be so trustworthy that we'd allow them such power? None I know of! NONE.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Essene616

People cling to lies like Velcro. The fact that this thread exists disgusts me. It's people's right totthink like nazis if they want, but I am not happy that civilization is still producing Mengele like ideas.

The more "civilized" we become, the more of this we see, too. Makes you wonder. eh? Too many people want to control others. Most of those don't do a very good job controlling themselves.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I think its rather obvious that we as a race have to do something about our rising population.

Stands to reason given the simple fact that resources and clean water sources are of a finite nature.

Not suggesting mandatory sterilization is the answer. Contraception and education would seem to be the ticket but fact is those dont seem to be making to much of a dent regarding our numbers. Especially so in our third world nations.

Water doesn't vanish, and the world is set up well enough that it rejuvenates, overall. It's local areas that have issues, and those are typically more political than population-based. In some places, when aid is sent in, local politics can make it so that those in need never actually receive the aid. Working on those areas makes more sense than worrying about population control. Yes, education and common sense planning are fine, but they aren't a solution to the problem areas.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Actually I think you will find that for all intents and purposes fresh water sources are finite and one of the many diminishing resources humanity cannot survive without.

As to solutions, I wish I had an answer. One thing us for sure unless we come together to address the problems we fact we are probably doomed to repeat out mistakes.
edit on 16-3-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Actually I think you will find that for all intents and purposes fresh water sources are finite and one of the many diminishing resources humanity cannot survive without.

As to solutions, I wish I had an answer. One thing us for sure unless we come together to address the problems we fact we are probably doomed to repeat out mistakes.

Unless a place goes desert, there is rain, and water tables replenish. Yes, there can be overuse, and if water is diverted, that can cause problems, but again, those have little to do with overpopulation.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

How do you know if a mentally ill person is fulfilled/happy and can live a wonderful life?

You don't.

From my experience, mentally ill people live in the moment and are very happy and giving. Great people to have in society. I would put money on it that they are happier than most "normal" people.

To suggest or agree with a plan to sterilize any portion of society is not only wrong, but proves that you believe you are better than someone enough to deny them basic human rights. Whoever has this reasoning also possesses very disturbing mental issues.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

And who would you like to decide who gets sterilized?

1950's societies?
1900's societies?
1800's societies?
1500's societies?
Primitive societies?

If the answer to these options is "hell no!" then that should answer your question.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Contribute to society? Dumb people contribute most to nowadays society. How else would so many crap be consumed, how else would so many crap be shown on TV, how else would corporations make so many money using human resources?

If there are only smart people nobody would do some industry track job from 9 to 17. What asshole will work in store whole sunday!? And to who will this corporations sell they crap?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I've floated the idea before, but I think we should have a global desalination & distribution network. There's more saltwater on this planet than we can ever use and we should be putting it to use.

If we put the same resources and effort into water as we do petroleum, natural gas, and militaries, we'd be set. So the problem is actually a lack of priorities, not a lack of water.

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join