It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another black hole close to our galactic center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
A japanese team believes to have identified an intermediate-mass black hole just 200 light years away from the center of the Milky Way.
arxiv.org...

While observing a compact cloud (CO-0.40-0.2) they've noticed a large velocity variation within it. From the data they've estimated the source would have to be an invisible compact object of ~10^5 sun masses.

They propose the observation of the kinematics of gas clouds as an effective method in the search of nonluminous black holes.

(Speculation by myself) The close distance to our supermassive black hole also means that they might merge at some point in the future. Now that would be something interesting to observe, especially with a focus on gravitational waves caused by such event.

Current estimates suggest about 10^8 black holes in our Milky Way btw. :O

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The just 200 light years made me chuckle ( @300 000 KM/S )
earthsky.org...

Finding one more of the expected 100 Million in the milky way is a bonus.. hubblesite.org...

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Thats freakin awesome. More confirmation bias that the Milky Way has been eating galaxies for a lonnng time.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: skywatcher44
earthsky.org...

Finding one more of the expected 100 Million in the milky way is a bonus.. hubblesite.org...

Given the fact that the Milky Way is approx 100,000 (but may be even 180,000) ly across, 200 ly is indeed very close.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

just because something is very big or far away does not make a smaller part of it 'very close'

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahsurexxx

Relatively....yes it does.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: skywatcher44
earthsky.org...

Given the fact that the Milky Way is approx 100,000 (but may be even 180,000) ly across, 200 ly is indeed very close.

It's always about perspective. It's amazing how many people forget about perspective when it comes to science.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

2 black holes approx. 200 ly apart when the galaxy is 100,000 ly across. Either black holes are way more common than we predicted or they are indeed very close together.

I believe this makes these two black holes the closest grouping of two black holes observed in our galaxy.

If the galaxy is homogeneous with black holes then we can expect finding one about every 200 ly apart which would be quite amazing.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Thats pretty damn close. That merger is going to be epic.

top topics

join