It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Cereal Soup?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Is Cereal Soup?

We all know the English language is full of exceptions and double meanings amongst other anomalies.
Just when you think you are proficient in the English language, at least enough to manage communication, writing, punctuation, etc... along comes some real odd ball uses and definitions.
I enjoyed this educational video. I hope you do too.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: imd12c4funn

No. Cereal is not soup.

cereal (n.) Look up cereal at Dictionary.com
1832, "grass yielding edible grain," originally an adjective (1818) "having to do with edible grain," from French céréale (16c., "of Ceres;" 18c. in grain sense), from Latin Cerealis "of grain," originally "of Ceres," from Ceres, Italic goddess of agriculture, from PIE *ker-es-, from root *ker- (3) "to grow" (see crescent).

soup (n.) Look up soup at Dictionary.com
"liquid food," 1650s, from French soupe "soup, broth" (13c.), from Late Latin suppa "bread soaked in broth," from a Germanic source (compare Middle Dutch sop "sop, broth"), from Proto-Germanic *sup-, from PIE *sub-, from root *seue- (2) "to take liquid" (see sup (v.2)).

www.etymonline.com...

Cute video though.

edit on 1/18/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I remember reading a question recently that asked if a hotdog is a sandwich. I'm not entirely convinced, but I'm leaning towards yes. My lady friend made a very good case for it.

ETA: Do people actually have milk decanters? Is this a real thing? I think I've only seen it in commercials. Fancy bastards, probably scoff when people call paper towels napkins. Now I want to argue that a paper towel can be both a napkin and a paper towel. Thanks OP.
edit on 1920160120161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Breakfast cereal is just cereal. Add it to a bowl of milk and it transforms into breakfast cereal soup.
I don't know. I haven't had coffee yet.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I'm guessing that technically a bowl of cereal is a bowl of soup. It can fit under the definition of soup. soups do use cereal grains to thicken them. Pourage would definitely be classified as a soup because it is cooked, but soup does not actually need to be heated to be called soup. Enzymes can be used to cook the soup.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
A hot dog is NOT a sandwich because a bun is only one piece of bread.
If you put a hot dog between two pieces of bread, you could have a 'hot dog sandwich'
Cereal is not soup, because it starts as a solid food, with milk added.
If it came with milk in it already, you could have 'cereal sooup'
That is all.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I remember reading a question recently that asked if a hotdog is a sandwich.

Yes:

join