It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
a reply to: reldra

The Oscars used to be about true art and real talent.

Now it appeals to the lowest common denominator.

If they were serious about art and talent they would have serious emcees instead of people who take cheap shots at the audience and pull stupid stunts like selfies.

Why are they not serious now? Because "A miracle on 34th street isn't up?" Times change. I didn't like The Revenant. I have a review up on IMDB showing how much I didn't like it, but there are sooo many saying why they did.

The emceees? They are entertainment in between. Why is that even important?

1950 Oscars Emcee, he's kind of funny:

edit on 18-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

edit on 18-1-2016 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Some but not all.
edit on 18-1-2016 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

I wouldn't go that far. The Oscars are very political, especially when you get to the big awards. Best picture. Best Actor/Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress. Those make a career. Do nothing after it, you're still going to make a good living.

The others Oscars are a bit more about actual art...cinematography, etc...

The Oscars have always been about ego stroking. A self congratulatory, back slapping look at me event. That's why a lot of people watch 'em, and flock to the red carpet to watch.

I admit to looking at the pictures off the red carpet at these sorts of events. Good looking women looking their absolute best. Good lookin' guys, thought that's less of an attraction for me..., lookin' their absolute best. As long as I don't have to listen to 'em talk, I'm good with just watching.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

edit on 38131America/ChicagoMon, 18 Jan 2016 19:38:42 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

"Titanic" over Nicholson and "As Good As It Gets"?

That's a BIG, W T F , over . . .

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Restricted

I wouldn't go that far. The Oscars are very political...

Which is why I take none of this seriously. Peer review may work in science but in arts it makes the medium stagnant.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Restricted

The Oscars used to be about true art and real talent.

Now it appeals to the lowest common denominator.

If they were serious about art and talent they would have serious emcees instead of people who take cheap shots at the audience and pull stupid stunts like selfies.

Why are they not serious now? Because "A miracle on 34th street isn't up?" Times change. I didn't like The Revenant. I have a review up on IMDB showing how much I didn't like it, but there are sooo many saying why they did.

The emceees? They are entertainment in between. Why is that even important?

1950 Oscars Emcee, he's kind of funny:

Yes I am quoting myself.

This was 1950, so we imagine almost completely white, I haven't looked up the winners. What a struggle for good ac tors to even get to a good showing.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

I could tell you if I knew how many Native Americans, who identify as such, are passed over for awards for that reason.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I thought this was suppose to be about acting, not skin color and the perception of entitlement.

It's hypocrisy to expect that an actor/actress be awarded based on skin color. It runs entirely contrary to what they claim to stand for; racial equality, when the demand is based on race.

IMESHO, MLK Jr. would stick his foot up their tailpipes.

Unfortunately, when pointing any of this out on some websites, one can be immediately scarlet lettered as a racist.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: redoubt

I thought this was suppose to be about acting, not skin color and the perception of entitlement.

It's hypocrisy to expect that an actor/actress be awarded based on skin color. It runs entirely contrary to what they claim to stand for; racial equality, when the demand is based on race.

IMESHO, MLK Jr. would stick his foot up their tailpipes.

Unfortunately, when pointing any of this out on some websites, one can be immediately scarlet lettered as a racist.

That is not expected. The point of the complaints is that some with the talent were passed over due to skin color.

But so many who reply here will say it is to 'get attention' and it is a 'made up problem'. I suppose it makes some feel better.
edit on 18-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'm sure the BET Awards will be white free, but that's not racist in the least, is it?!? Cry me a river guys and gals, you'll just use this to claim you aren't represented, but this doesn't affect your pay, or residuals from your performances! There will be cries of lack of respect, but lesson one, you have to learn to respect other's in order to be respected. Earn your awards from your peers and don't try to use this as another social engineering experiment... ala, #BlackOscarsMatter

Py

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
"Unfortunately, when pointing any of this out on some websites, one can be immediately scarlet lettered as a racist."

Star for having the courage to tell the truth.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

That is not expected. The point of the complaints is that some with the talent were passed over due to skin color.

Passed over? Hollywood? Based on race?

That's a tough row to hoe.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: pyguy
I'm sure the BET Awards will be white free, but that's not racist in the least, is it?!? Cry me a river guys and gals, you'll just use this to claim you aren't represented, but this doesn't affect your pay, or residuals from your performances! There will be cries of lack of respect, but lesson one, you have to learn to respect other's in order to be respected. Earn your awards from your peers and don't try to use this as another social engineering experiment... ala, #BlackOscarsMatter

Py

The BET awards have already been discussed. Again, I say the BET awards HAD to be created when they were as almost NO Black actors were getting the comparison awards.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: redoubt

Passed over? Hollywood? Based on race?

That's a tough row to hoe.

It's been happening since the Oscars and other awards began, no matter how liberal you think Hollywood is. The people voting are not so much.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

. The point of the complaints is that some with the talent were passed over due to skin color.

The irony is how much impact Hollywood has had in helping to further overcome racism.

I usually don't stick up for Hollywood nor do I think they are motivated for good reasons, however they have done an excellent job in labelling white racist men as complete ignorant @sholes.

With that said , it appears that most awards are B$ now a days anyways, including the Nobel.

edit on 48131America/ChicagoMon, 18 Jan 2016 19:48:31 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
If I ever win the lottery I'm going to send a Participation Trophy to everyone in the United States. Then I will push for legislation to see that every newborn is awarded a Participation Trophy at birth.

Fixed it for y'all.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

It's been happening since the Oscars and other awards began, no matter how liberal you think Hollywood is. The people voting are not so much.

Liberal? Nah, no thanks. No politics... not on this subject, not from this keyboard.

I'm not gonna go any further here. Like walking across a minefield barefoot.

Have a nice evening

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

. The point of the complaints is that some with the talent were passed over due to skin color.

The irony is how much impact Hollywood has had in helping to further overcome racism.

I usually don't stick up for Hollywood nor do I think they are motivated for good reasons, however they have done an excellent job in labelling white racist men as complete ignorant @sholes.

It depends on who in Hollywood you are looking at. Actors? Directors? Screen Guild members? They did well.

There is still a problem with these awards, though.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join